Sponsored

Prices holding pretty well. Compare to RS3

kskpsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R HR222, Audi RS3, BMW 1M, Boxster Spyder
Damn what a garage! More pics please! What is that floor?... textured concrete?
Thank you, Drum. It is actually wood look porcelain tile laid out in a herringbone pattern. Couldn’t be overly choosey, just wanted whatever leftover clearance tile I could find in that general style and for 1000 sq ft. Actually, with the tile at $0.80 a sq fr, it is roughly the same price per sq ft installed as snap together plastic tiles like Racedeck once you factor in mortar and grout...just so much more brutal to install. Especially because I have unnecessarily heavy grading for the concrete subfloor toward the drains on each side.

Here is a pic from last year...M3 and Polestar V60 are now gone in favor of RS3 and GT350R.
720A66F0-82C6-4716-970F-206BEE5D80AE.jpeg
Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Thank you, Drum. It is actually wood look porcelain tile laid out in a herringbone pattern. Couldn’t be overly choosey, just wanted whatever leftover clearance tile I could find in that general style and for 1000 sq ft. Actually, with the tile at $0.80 a sq fr, it is roughly the same price per sq ft installed as snap together plastic tiles like Racedeck once you factor in mortar and grout...just so much more brutal to install. Especially because I have unnecessarily heavy grading for the concrete subfloor toward the drains on each side.

Here is a pic from last year...M3 and Polestar V60 are now gone in favor of RS3 and GT350R.
Any broken tiles or grout issues?

kskpsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any broken tiles or grout issues?
Pretty forgiving stuff. Broke in one spot that I will need to dig out and replace...near one of the drains, should have built up the mortar/back buttered more. I used the special liquid additive to mix the grout in lieu of water hoping the color accuracy would be better and give it some epoxy grout-like properties...well, my espresso grout actually looks gray. I would do straight up epoxy grout instead, but removing that haze on the tile after grouting will be an extra kick to the groin.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I used to lay tile during college for a living. Brutal.

I may do that look vs go with Nohr-S again. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I have to disagree with this. I bought a brand new Audi A6 Prestige last year and it has been a fantastic car. They fit in finishes miles ahead of my GT350, not even on the same planet. I know how he's had his troubles in the past but my experience has been fantastic. There dealerships are nicer than the Ford dealerships and there service on the cars is top notch.. Maybe it's just my local dealer but I've been very happy.

However I do agree that I much prefer to drive my GT350 then the Audi.
I still have my on RS4 and the paint/fit and finish is better than my 350R..the Audi is 10 years old...

Pretty forgiving stuff. Broke in one spot that I will need to dig out and replace...near one of the drains, should have built up the mortar/back buttered more. I used the special liquid additive to mix the grout in lieu of water hoping the color accuracy would be better and give it some epoxy grout-like properties...well, my espresso grout actually looks gray. I would do straight up epoxy grout instead, but removing that haze on the tile after grouting will be an extra kick to the groin.
I’ve been on garagejournal.com a bunch - the point they made there is that, anything you drop that would damage the tile, would likely also chip the concrete...and you can chip out/replace pieces of tile, so this has become pretty popular. I might consider it for my garage build. Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the Nohr-S, but using my jack caused it to pop up from the Crete. I like that tile setup tremendously so I’ll lokely do that as well. Hopefully, jacking the car up shouldn’t break tiles.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I already had my GT350 and wanted a companion for it in the toy box. I shopped RS3 (too cramped) Merc C63S (my head hit the roof) TTRS (styling reminded me too much of a secretary sled) Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio ( I liked it but the brakes really stunk).
I always wanted a P car and any time I brought it up the wife would say hell no. I just said screw her and went out one day and bought a new 18 718 Cayman GTS. No regrets, got a solid 8 percent discount. The car is loaded and I love it. It's actually a tad faster than my GT350 and handles and rides much better.
The Audi 5 banger is pretty cool. If the interior in the RS3 was a little more roomy I wouldn't mind having one as well.
Nothing beats the sound of the Voodoo though.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I know I am digging up an old thread...just recall seeing it, and I got an RS3 last week as my daily. It’s a fantastic car imho, but comparing it to the GT350 is a little bizarre....wildly different cars. Really nice tech like the virtual cockpit, quattro awd (albeit Haldex) for MN life, and the dual clutch is a nice change of pace for the DD (all my cars are manual, include the M3 it replaced).

Threw her on the lift and deleted the secondary cats this week...great $200 mod as it was a little too quiet for me...more 5 sound coming through under throttle now and more pops and burbles when downshifting.

At the end of the day, for a singular spirited drive, I am grabbing the keys to the 350!
Congrats on the RS3. My daily driver A4 has 166K miles since I bough it new and will be due for a replacement before too long. I’m seriously considering the RS3 and have researched it extensively. Did you consider the S3 at all? I’ve read several owners reviews saying the upgrade from S3 to RS3 is not worth it? My local dealer has yet to get an RS3 in that hasn’t been customer ordered for a test drive. I also commute over 600 miles per week.

EDIT: awesome garage! I’m in the process of doing my garage....4 bay, 1K sq ft as well. Going with a hybrid epoxy base coat and polyurea/polyaspartic top coat for my flooring needs.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Love the RS3. Congrats. It would be a great DD. It does suck it’s a halidex awd system though.

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
I have to disagree with this. I bought a brand new Audi A6 Prestige last year and it has been a fantastic car. They fit in finishes miles ahead of my GT350, not even on the same planet. I know how he's had his troubles in the past but my experience has been fantastic. There dealerships are nicer than the Ford dealerships and there service on the cars is top notch.. Maybe it's just my local dealer but I've been very happy.

However I do agree that I much prefer to drive my GT350 then the Audi.
My first Audi(A4/3.2).... I had to Fred Flinstone to get it to go in reverse.... no lie....my second(S4), was awesome! Perfect Audi model imo is the RS4 or 5...

Sponsored

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Hoodoo, do you do track days with your GT350?
I'm with you. I considered an RS3 before buying the GT350. We live in the mountains, so it's a much better fit for us, but I had my heart set on the Shelby. My wife hates the Recaros, so she won't even ride in the Shelby. I pointed out a RS3 the other day and she said "I bet the seats in the Audi aren't brutally uncomfortable". Sigh.

I'd have both if neither the money nor the space was an issue.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
I put 136K on my Audi RS4 and loved it-to this day it is the best street car I've ever owned. It was the first car I tracked, and one of the few stock cars out there you can do a full track day with and drive it to work the next day. The fit and finish were exemplary. I am glad I got the extended warranty, though. It was not a cheap car to maintain.

kskpsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put 136K on my Audi RS4 and loved it-to this day it is the best street car I've ever owned. It was the first car I tracked, and one of the few stock cars out there you can do a full track day with and drive it to work the next day. The fit and finish were exemplary. I am glad I got the extended warranty, though. It was not a cheap car to maintain.
My RS4s (cab and sedan) are cars I still think about, wish I kept my sedan. My only beef with them was the carbon buildup...thankfully the RS3 has both port and direct injection, but it also has a less character...just can’t beat the RS4 sheetmetal.

kskpsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats on the RS3. My daily driver A4 has 166K miles since I bough it new and will be due for a replacement before too long. I’m seriously considering the RS3 and have researched it extensively. Did you consider the S3 at all? I’ve read several owners reviews saying the upgrade from S3 to RS3 is not worth it? My local dealer has yet to get an RS3 in that hasn’t been customer ordered for a test drive. I also commute over 600 miles per week.

EDIT: awesome garage! I’m in the process of doing my garage....4 bay, 1K sq ft as well. Going with a hybrid epoxy base coat and polyurea/polyaspartic top coat for my flooring needs.
I feel your pain, as I unfortunately never had a chance to test drive any of the cars I currently own...talk about a leap of faith! I did not consider the S3, and in fact, I was more inclined to go with the Golf R instead. Had a deposit on an inbound Golf, and they sold it to someone else 2 days before my delivery date. Classy. With most of the VW dealers here under the same ownership and wanting a car sooner than later, I went RS3 due to priciple and availability. My car just arrived at the dealership in a spec I would have ordered, and they offered me $4k off. If I had an A4 like you, I would have got another $1k for owner loyalty ;-). I personally think what the RS3 brings to the table is worth the premium, but some of that is subjective. FWIW, given your driving distances, once I deleted the secondary cats, MPG was notably better as others on Audizine have suggested. At 65 mph, I was getting almost 34 mpg. My car has 325 miles right now. Good luck in your selection process! Feel free to PM me with any other questions.
Sponsored