Sponsored

Sound tube - what exactly am I supposed to hear?

Nitronorth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rock
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Auto
I thought all this was silly till I just clamped a small visegrip on the hose one day, and its still there as i really find it actually does sound way better hearing the exhaust than the gutted cow noises from under my dash..:)
But seriously, its staying on there till i sell. I live in the mountains and it was always a irritating continuous moan coming outa there on all the uphills.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Or, could it be that the driver has really loud exhaust and he can't hear anything else when trying to impress peers and onlookers? :cheers:
:thumbsup: I'm sure that any sound closely associated with speed or power could egg a driver on to doing things he probably ought not attempt.

Red mist here ↓↓↓ (about 50 feet and 0.3 seconds from where I need to start turning) could end rather badly.

picture.jpg

Norm

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
:thumbsup: I'm sure that any sound closely associated with speed or power could egg a driver on to doing things he probably ought not attempt.

Red mist here ↓↓↓ (about 50 feet and 0.3 seconds from where I need to start turning) could end rather badly.

picture.jpg

Norm
I'm kind of the opposite. Quiet, smooth power can really get me in trouble.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
This part has been on the Mustang for several years and only now we find it it's actually dangerous to the driver and his family, pumps exhaust smell in the cabin, improves throttle response when removed, and sounds horrible creating bad harmonics with aftermarket exhaust like Corsa. On top of all that, they missed the great looking crutch leg cap idea to replace it with. Silly, silly, engineers. :doh::):)

It seems the final answer to the OP is buy two cars, one with the sound tube and one without to satisfy both the lovers and the haters. :gossip: (or install a valve)
I like that valve idea but I pulled mine already as I just preferred it without. I wonder if in the 2020 MY they'll add an automatic valve to it?

It's an interesting device. I'm thinking about doing a tear-down on it to see how it works. It's kind of a simple musical instrument that looks like a wonky emissions system. But there is no way air passes through it. It strictly passes vibrations within certain frequencies.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Wouldn't know for sure about the 2020 MY but I doubt it will have an automatic sound tube valve. I asked a Ford rep once why the Mustangs still have the prop rod instead of struts. It's a matter of cost per car that they felt wasn't needed, $50.00 x the number of cars sold. I think they are pretty happy with the diaphragm a trumpet setup. There is a schematic online for the induction sound tube somewhere, but I can't find it now.
Yeah, but they can charge $$$ for it as an option and it looks great on marketing materials. :)

OMG, I love the hood struts now that they are finally on the car!!! A light flip of the hand with a nice psheww sound and the hood is up.

It's seems silly but that adds a modern high end touch to the car.

There is a reason a similar speced Mercedes or BMW costs over 2x as much.

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I think they are pretty happy with the diaphragm a trumpet setup. There is a schematic online for the induction sound tube somewhere, but I can't find it now.
Oh, I've always thought these were to get people on test drives and not so much for the day to day driving cues they like to mention in the articles and PRs.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This part has been on the Mustang for several years and only now we find it it's actually dangerous to the driver and his family, pumps exhaust smell in the cabin, improves throttle response when removed, and sounds horrible creating bad harmonics with aftermarket exhaust like Corsa. On top of all that, they missed the great looking crutch leg cap idea to replace it with. Silly, silly, engineers. :doh::):)

It seems the final answer to the OP is buy two cars, one with the sound tube and one without to satisfy both the lovers and the haters. :gossip: (or install a valve)

You should create a sound tube lover's thread. Man, so butthurt that very few commenting prefer it vs. removed/capped.:headbonk:

FYI it creates odd harmonics with the stock mufflers (yes, even the quiet 15-17 mufflers) and a resonator delete, too. That's where I first heard it on my own car. I think it's good with a very quiet exhaust, or perhaps one so deep and boomy that it doesn't make much difference or cause a harmonic issue.

BTW, I spoke with some of those silly, silly engineers about it (friends or former colleagues). As with many things, it was done for marketing effect and allows for some sound without a louder exhaust. They were particularly sound level sensitive for the S550 because it was the first Global Mustang. They realized they went a little too far to the quiet spectrum and made even the non-active exhaust louder for '18.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You're an idiot. I didn't promote anything or mention a brand (though you did as a dig earlier, jackass).

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
Sound Tube is a joke. Move on. :shrug:

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
A little "civility" here is in order. I want a cleaner, less cluttered engine bay. I can't hear my sound tube & I have a "resonator delete" X-pipe. What's all fuss? Delete it or Don't.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Civility starts with not getting all bent over people not agreeing with your minority opinion and providing details/facts/experience supporting the opposite. YOU chose to go on a personal offensive. We get it, you like your f&cking valve.

Oh yeah, only approved press releases are the stone cold facts, and there's never any significant development backstories for things. Nope, never. /s

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
Take the top of the air filter cover off, turn it over and re-install.
You will hear the glorious intake roar!:headbang:
(no, don't try that)
In the old and stupid days we would run without the air cleaner to hear that engine sucking sound!

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
All drama aside, I installed the irrigation valve a few minutes ago and am about to go do a quick drive and test the 4 exhaust modes with the valve closed and open to see what the difference is. At first I didn't think it would fit with the huge 2018 engine cover, but it actually fits quite nicely, and is mostly hidden out of view. Had to cut about an inch of tubing off to make sure the overall length didn't grow due to the valve.

If i greatly prefer the sound with it closed, I'm probably going to delete the whole thing, already bought those rubber leg stoppers.
IMG_4803.JPG
IMG_4800.JPG
IMG_4801.JPG
IMG_4802.JPG
Sponsored