Sponsored

The Photography Hangout Thread

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
/\ Great post 2015DIBGT. One thing I'd like to mention regarding your 50mm 1.8 suggestion; while I agree that is a fantastic beginner lens for general street photography it can be difficult to use in automotive shooting because in order to fill the frame(especially when paired with an entry-level crop sensor camera) you have to stand way back. If it were a carshow or just a crowded space it might be impossible to fill the frame with the car.
Sponsored

ststang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
viewsinfinitum.com
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB EBM AT PP
/\ Great post 2015DIBGT. One thing I'd like to mention regarding your 50mm 1.8 suggestion; while I agree that is a fantastic beginner lens for general street photography it can be difficult to use in automotive shooting because in order to fill the frame(especially when paired with an entry-level crop sensor camera) you have to stand way back. If it were a carshow or just a crowded space it might be impossible to fill the frame with the car.
Agreed, a wide angle zoom is very useful for car photography. For a full frame camera, get one that starts at 24mm. For a cropped camera, most start at 18mm. Any wider and you'll have to be careful of distortion affects.

I would still recommend getting a 50mm f/1.8, too. They are excellent for getting in close and learning how to use Aperture settings for all subjects besides cars.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
If you're looking for some input, Ill suggest a few options from a Canon standpoint.

Entry Level: Canon T6I/S
Some of the things included with this "Kit" are useless but it will at least get your started.
I would recommend picking up a 50mm F1.8 for around $100 new.
Buy Link:T6I Amazon Link
Spec Link: T6I Canon Link

Intermediate Level: Canon 70D
This is a better camera in pretty much every way, shape, and form compared to the T6I but it also comes with a price increase as well.
I would still recommend picking up a 50mm F1.8 for around $100 new.
Buy Link: 70D Amazon Link
Spec Link: 70D Canon Link

Top Level Option 1: Canon 6D Mark II
This one I am slightly biased as this is what I shoot with currently.
I shoot with a Sigma 35mm F1.4 and a Sigma 24-70 F2.8; I would suggest both but the 24-105 F4 is a decent starter lens.
Buy link: 6Dm2 Amazon Link
Spec Link:6Dm2 Canon Link

Top Level Option 2: Canon 5Dm4
One of Canon's all time best; it speaks for itself.
You will need to buy lenses for this; they do not do kits. I would recommend the same 35mm and 24-70mm.
Buy Link: 5Dm4 Buy Link
Spec Link: 5Dm4 Canon Link

"F-U" Money Option: Canon 1DXm2
If you dont care about money or would like to throw it around because you like pictures of "birds" or are just retired and "like" photos, this one is for you. You will need to buy lenses as they do not do "kits" with this camera.
For this I would recommend a Canon 24-70 F2.8, Canon 70-200 F2.8, Canon 16-35 F2.8, Canon 35mm F1.4, Canon 85mm F1.4, and a Canon 135mm F2.
Buy link: 1DXm2 Amazon Link
Spec Link: 1DXm2 Canon Link

I'll make a Nikon version of this for shits and giggles. :thumbsup:

Entry Level........Nikon D3400 w/18-55 bundle.....about $400
Very good 24mp sensor plus a decent wide angle zoom lens. Small and lightweight package. I've personally tried this combination thinking it would be terrible given the price difference compared to a pro camera but it is actually quite good. You can upgrade to a 35mm f1.8 for about $200 more and get amazing images from landscapes, cars shows, and travel.

Intermediate level.......Nikon D7500(D7200 used).......$800-1,100 body only
What you get when you upgrade to a higher-end camera body is increased flexibility and control over the camera's primary settings(aperture, shutter speed, ISO) plus improved processor, image buffer(when shooting multiple images in a row), and autofocus.
Pair with 35mm f1.8 for $200 or splurge on a Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART for about $800. This setup can serve even talented photographers for many years.

Pro-level 1........Nikon D750(D810 for higher resolution)........about $1,300-1,500 used, $2,000ish new
Full frame image sensor, renowned for high dynamic range and low-light performance. This camera will continue to produce amazing images even as the sun starts going down. You will also get a wider field of view when using the same lens given the larger image sensor.
Pair with the Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART for heavenly photos(:D) or a 24-70 f2.8(I like the Tamron G2) for greater versitility.

Pro-level 2...........Nikon D850.........$3,500 new(backordered right now
This is the KING. 42mp image sensor with the latest technology. Highest dynamic range*(most tests I've seen, others are pretty close) among full frame DSLR's.

Pro-tog level................Nikon D5............$6,500
When speed matters, this is the camera. If you're shooting sports professionally or if you are a paparazzo this camera offers the best autofocus on the market as far as speed and accuracy goes.

2015DIBGT

Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, a wide angle zoom is very useful for car photography. For a full frame camera, get one that starts at 24mm. For a cropped camera, most start at 18mm. Any wider and you'll have to be careful of distortion affects.

I would still recommend getting a 50mm f/1.8, too. They are excellent for getting in close and learning how to use Aperture settings for all subjects besides cars.
I agree with your statements about the 50mm on a crop sensor comment but I will offer my experience to support my reasoning. When I bought my 35mm I thought my photography improved because I no longer could rely on the camera to do the work for me. If I wanted a shot, I had to move for it. I had to think out my shots instead of siting in one spot and using the zoom of the lens to change what I was focusing on; I previously took all my shots and then changed crop and focus in post. All things that will be learned while shooting more often but once I got a prime I felt as though my stuff got better.

With regards to your comment about it being used at a car show or a crowded place, photography is about getting that perfect shot. The perfect shot doesn't always happen in that first split second; its going to take a little bit of time. Let me challenge you with this: my friend who is phenomenal photographer took photos at an indoor car show with his 70-200. Here is a link to the album.
Link: 70-200 at an Indoor Show (make sure to hit the right arrow to go to the next photo. They are not in an individual album)

Here is also a link to a buddy of mine that shoots with a T3I and a 50mm for all his car stuff. He also shoots his rollers with a 10-24 F3.5-4.5. Im not crazy impressed with his photos but this is just an example of what is possible with a crop sensor and a 50mm in the car world.
Link: Jaspers Page

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I agree with your statements about the 50mm on a crop sensor comment but I will offer my experience to support my reasoning. When I bought my 35mm I thought my photography improved because I no longer could rely on the camera to do the work for me. If I wanted a shot, I had to move for it. I had to think out my shots instead of siting in one spot and using the zoom of the lens to change what I was focusing on; I previously took all my shots and then changed crop and focus in post. All things that will be learned while shooting more often but once I got a prime I felt as though my stuff got better.
I agree with all of this 100%, which is why I recommended the 35mm over the 50. Having used a 50 1.8 on a crop sensor for a car show I felt frustrated at times not being able to move back far enough to get the entire car in the frame. Owning a 35mm now(used on both a crop and full frame) I think it is the more applicable lens for car shows or travel. I would pick the 50mm if I were doing street photography or portraits for the better subject isolation.

With regards to your comment about it being used at a car show or a crowded place, photography is about getting that perfect shot. The perfect shot doesn't always happen in that first split second; its going to take a little bit of time. Let me challenge you with this: my friend who is phenomenal photographer took photos at an indoor car show with his 70-200. Here is a link to the album.
Link: 70-200 at an Indoor Show (make sure to hit the right arrow to go to the next photo. They are not in an individual album)

Here is also a link to a buddy of mine that shoots with a T3I and a 50mm for all his car stuff. He also shoots his rollers with a 10-24 F3.5-4.5. Im not crazy impressed with his photos but this is just an example of what is possible with a crop sensor and a 50mm in the car world.
Link: Jaspers Page[/QUOTE]

My 70-200 Tamron G2 is now my standard lens on my D750 and I love it, though you still need to stand way far back to get an entire car in frame. From the first set you linked I imagine how many times people walked in front of his camera while he was trying to get those shots. In a crowded place(granted I hate crowds as a rule, not even related to photography), I wouldn't try to use the 70-200 at all. 35mm is the choice I would make every time.

Sponsored

2015DIBGT

Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
My 70-200 Tamron G2 is now my standard lens on my D750 and I love it, though you still need to stand way far back to get an entire car in frame. From the first set you linked I imagine how many times people walked in front of his camera while he was trying to get those shots. In a crowded place(granted I hate crowds as a rule, not even related to photography), I wouldn't try to use the 70-200 at all. 35mm is the choice I would make every time.
I agree; the distance you would need to stand back is quite far. My issue starting out was I tried capturing the entire car in every photo I ever took. I just came to the shocking realization that people like photos of specific details too; having a 35mm or a 50mm comes in handy for those detail up close shots.

I think we can both agree that there is no "perfect" lens when it comes to photography; there will always be a need for a few in your arsenal. For entry, I would still suggest shooting (using Canon) with the 18-55 for most of photos but have the 50mm as a backup for details or urban/portraits. I think the 24-70 f2.8 is one of the best lenses ever made. The only gripe I have about it is not being able to have it be a 16-300 F1.4... :lol:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I agree; the distance you would need to stand back is quite far. My issue starting out was I tried capturing the entire car in every photo I ever took. I just came to the shocking realization that people like photos of specific details too; having a 35mm or a 50mm comes in handy for those detail up close shots.

I think we can both agree that there is no "perfect" lens when it comes to photography; there will always be a need for a few in your arsenal. For entry, I would still suggest shooting (using Canon) with the 18-55 for most of photos but have the 50mm as a backup for details or urban/portraits. I think the 24-70 f2.8 is one of the best lenses ever made. The only gripe I have about it is not being able to have it be a 16-300 F1.4... :lol:

I love me some detail shots.:thumbsup:

Can you imagine how big that 16-300 1.4 would be? :eyebulge::eyebulge:
200-500.jpg

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
Thank you all for the input, this is a great way to get my feet wet! I am going to do some research over the weekend and firm up my available budget. Got to find a time to stop at a camera shop and actually get my hands on these options too.

I really can't thank you guys enough for the suggestions and info!

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
I love me some detail shots.:thumbsup:

Can you imagine how big that 16-300 1.4 would be? :eyebulge::eyebulge:
200-500.jpg
Please tell me this is a real thing! That is too funny

2015DIBGT

Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Please tell me this is a real thing! That is too funny
This is a real lens from Sigma. It is a 200-500mm F2.8 and it costs $26,000.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Last edited:

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"

ststang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
viewsinfinitum.com
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB EBM AT PP
Photos from the annual Ford Cruise In hosted by the Syracuse Shelby Mustang Club which was held on June 10, 2018 near Liverpool, New York. I volunteered to photograph for the Club. Well over 350 Ford vehicles from the Model T to one (and only one) 2018.

Used a Nikon D750 with a Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR lens. A circular polarizer filter helped to reduce reflections.

i-PqdWfK4-L.jpg

i-DwhzBvn-L.jpg

i-7NNxSjS-L.jpg

i-NVnTnSM-L.jpg

i-wkTPKZk-L.jpg

i-9BQQstJ-L.jpg

i-NP8kCBs-L.jpg

i-zCzHm8Z-L.jpg

i-M3bZD5W-L.jpg

i-SzQdVGB-L.jpg

i-zRsMxjp-L.jpg

i-RzhZhkC-L.jpg

More pics on my blog here: View 392: All Ford Cruise In with a link to the entire photo gallery at the bottom of the post.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I know, not Mustangs. I have a 2019 GT on order, so when that comes I will obviously be taking pictures of that. For now I will show what I have been working on in regards to car photography. It's my Lexus CT200h. I have been working with the same car to get a feel for how the light hits body lines and stuff. Just want to eliminate variables.

First shot is a (mostly) natural light shot at sunset using a polarizer. One shot, rotate polarizer 90* and take another. A couple pops of a speed light on the front bumper and wheel. Stack it all in PS and blend it. Next is all with a speed light. Built a soft box out of cardboard, tin foil, and waxed paper. About 10 frames with the flash in different spots blended in PS. Third is with a Flashpoint Xplor 600/Godox AB600. Used four frames blended in PS.

A6300449-HDR-Edit.jpg

Lexus Shoot 2 - Graffiti.jpg

Lexus Cemetery copy2.jpg
Sponsored