Sponsored

GT350 On The Brain

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
I need to give a bit of a backstory to everyone. I'm a car enthusiast first. I'm not a brand loyalist and chase the experience of owning the car. I love going fast, but don't believe it should be the only thing that matters. Back on topic.

I owned a 2017 Mustang GT PP in lighting blue. I unfortunately lost it in a Hurricane while driving (long story) but totaled it. I cried my eyes out. While I was attempting to trade the car in for a future on order M2. I spent about a month looking for cars, driving SS2,M3, M4, F Type, Cayman while also looking for a Civic Type R and reconsidering another Mustang(I did not drive all these cars, but literally my list was about 30-40 cars long). My old Mustang, Kal (Named it after Superman) saved my life. I left without a scratch. I was all over the place until a dealership called me, willing to sell me a black Civic Type R at MSRP.

So, my current car is a Civic Type R. I absolutely love it. I adore it to the end of the Earth. I get so many compliments on it. Quite a lot of stares daily and it is unique. I know there is about 2 or 3 in the area I live. Regardless, for whatever reason, I've been looking at the GT350. My Mustang had a lot of soul in it. It was just 'different'. I've read reviews daily and it's something I've 'loosely' considered maybe in the near future 6-12 months range. I feel like I'm in love with two women, with no real negativity (well, the both have small fuel range, and that's annoying).

Feel free to share your thoughts. I'm sure plenty of people will want to bash the Type R here. How does the GT350 handle? What are your thoughts? Anyone who has driven multiple cars? How does it feel to a PP GT? Share away. I appreciate it. My wife has already rolled her eyes and thought about shooting me. As for financials, it's made me consider going after a Cayman. Especially with GT350 prices being as high as they are.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
There is no comparison to a GT PP vs a GT350. The shock tuning is so much more focused and the engine speaks for itself (literally). The GT PP is bouncy and brittle in comparison the GT350 Magneride system is surprisingly compliant albeit still stiff. Turning is sharper. Body roll is way more controlled.

GrabberBootyBlue88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I like the new CTR as well, but I wouldn't get one because I already have my GT350. But for $25K, I'd get a CSi. I've driven a couple GTs before and I think they are fine cars. But the GT350 turns it up some more. Overall, CTR and GT350 to non-car people will always just be a Civic and a Mustang.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86

Sponsored

OP
OP

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Life's short. Buy one.
My excuse to my wife every time. She's point A to B car person. Cars have always been art to me. I'll always understand the purpose and need for a Camry, but can't help but feel connected to a car on a personal level.

Losing my Mustang was one of the hardest times I've ever cried. I'm a grown ass man and I wept. Especially when the muffler just bounced off the truck bed. lol

OP
OP

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As to price, you can find a new non-R GT350 for several thousand under sticker (say $55K-56K) if you are willing to travel. As to a Cayman, it's a great car, but they start at $55K, and you're looking at $60K or more for a well-kitted Cayman new.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/727256676/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/723718376/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/733568017/overview/
Truth. I found a Cayman for about 43K when I was looking. It was a 13, MSRP was 80k when made. It was sharp but not nearly as sharp or beautiful as the 718s.

OP
OP

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no comparison to a GT PP vs a GT350. The shock tuning is so much more focused and the engine speaks for itself (literally). The GT PP is bouncy and brittle in comparison the GT350 Magneride system is surprisingly compliant albeit still stiff. Turning is sharper. Body roll is way more controlled.
I drove the standard GT and the GT PP. The GT felt like a whale. The GT PP was way more tied down but is NOTHING compared to the CTR. I take turns 25+ MPH faster than my I could. The only problem with my GT PP was the raw experience. I went from complete luxury (BMW) to complete raw. Wanted something in between. Sorta got that with the CTR.

It's an entirely different experience for sure. I'm split. I doubt any decision will be made anytime soon.

I like the new CTR as well, but I wouldn't get one because I already have my GT350. But for $25K, I'd get a CSi. I've driven a couple GTs before and I think they are fine cars. But the GT350 turns it up some more. Overall, CTR and GT350 to non-car people will always just be a Civic and a Mustang.

Agreed on the final sentence. I'm still blown away by how many people know what the Type R is. I never would have imagined.

SnakeAndSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Being a former Cayman S owner, a 987, I drove one of the new 4 cylinder turbo 718s and HATED it. Sounds like crap and ended up ruining the experience for me. As far as the Type R goes, I'm a big Honda fan and owned an S2000, but that new Type R is waaayyyyy too fast and furious for me. I ended up getting rid of my BMW 2 series for the GT350 and couldn't be happier other than I'm not used to the domestic car's fit and finish.

uabeng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150; 2017 GT350
Have had 7 mustangs. The GT350 is like none other. Stupid fast and feels like it's on rails. The car overall is "barebones" compared to a Mustang GT due to the options you can get, but everything is seemingly functional The 350 is the first mustang I've gotten from the factory that I've been 100% fine keeping stock as they come that badass from the factory.

Sponsored
OP
OP

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Being a former Cayman S owner, a 987, I drove one of the new 4 cylinder turbo 718s and HATED it. Sounds like crap and ended up ruining the experience for me. As far as the Type R goes, I'm a big Honda fan and owned an S2000, but that new Type R is waaayyyyy too fast and furious for me. I ended up getting rid of my BMW 2 series for the GT350 and couldn't be happier other than I'm not used to the domestic car's fit and finish.
It is. You either love or hate the looks. I see way too many people destroy them (Honda Pro Jason, a YT fame guy ruined it with an ugly disgusting yellow). I've seen people slam them and put ridiculous wheels. I went with the black. Hid some of the uglier looks. It's a sharp car but looks are not for everyone.

I heard the same about the 718s. I'm not a fan of the Type R's sound. It's made worse when you try to modify it with exhausts/intercoolers/etc. I just absolutely love the interior. As someone who is large and big frame, it felt like it was made for me by some nice old German person. I also love the fit and finish. All the 'domesticated' cars feel like K Mart to me. I had a basic BMW and it felt way more expensive. Weird.

OP
OP

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have had 7 mustangs. The GT350 is like none other. Stupid fast and feels like it's on rails. The car overall is "barebones" compared to a Mustang GT due to the options you can get, but everything is seemingly functional The 350 is the first mustang I've gotten from the factory that I've been 100% fine keeping stock as they come that badass from the factory.
I have no intention of modding my cars. Outside of tints, washing and wheels, I do not believe in modifying my cars. If you do, that's completely fine. Not for me. The GT PP performed well but the interior felt ridiculously cheap. I should have went with the upgraded interior(I really have to have that screen/sound system).

GrabberBootyBlue88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Same here. Other than the reusable air filter, oil catch cans and MGW shifter, I don't think I'm going for more mods. Eventually I'll get over the car and get something else I like at that time.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Coming from the front-wheel drive centered world, the GT350 is obviously a completely different animal. I came from a very forgiving platform in the Mitsubishi Evo IX MR. I could drift in canyons without a concern that I couldn't escape by applying throttle...I'm a bit more respectful of the GT350, for she will bite and hard without it.

OP
OP

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming from the front-wheel drive centered world, the GT350 is obviously a completely different animal. I came from a very forgiving platform in the Mitsubishi Evo IX MR. I could drift in canyons without a concern that I couldn't escape by applying throttle...I'm a bit more respectful of the GT350, for she will bite and hard without it.
That's part of the problem I had with the Camaro 2SS. It felt unhinged. I think most would consider that a good thing, but I just didn't like it. I felt like I was jugging fire with it. I drove it the same day I drove the M4 and was like, eh.

The GT I had was just close enough. I think it's a beautiful car. Definitely have it on the brain.
Sponsored