Sponsored

Hood corrosion

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
This is a fight that been fought for years, and sadly seems to be a losing battle. My '13 Boss 302 suffers from the same issue.
Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Hood Corrosion...Doors on F150?

If hood corrosion is endemic on Mustangs, is there any aluminum corrosion occurring on the F150 hoods, doors, etc.? If not...what is causing it on Mustangs?

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Car is going in tomorrow to have the hood replaced by Ford.

All under warranty. 2015 with 16K miles.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
why do they need to replace the hood? all they need to do is repaint it.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
why do they need to replace the hood? all they need to do is repaint it.
The corrosion is in the seam where the aluminum skin is folded around the hood. The only way is to replace the entire panel.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
ah, it's a good thing i don't own my stang anymore. I think they just repainted it. i knew there was a chance it's going to resurface again.

speaking of which, if anyone wants a stang, it ended up going to ohio somehow. i guess my local dodge dealer auctioned it off.

https://www.toyotakasper.com/used/F...sandusky-0b2f2a480a0e0a172fe35b291a9ab837.htm

it's been there since 1/19/18. the only reason i know is because carfax notified me and asked how my service was at that dealership.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
My 15 Ruby Red has the corrosion breaking through and dropping white powder.....2 weeks till my 3 year warranty expires...time to take it in. I am Pissed. Was trying to keep paint all factory and keep the car for 10 plus years....now I am sure any repaint will look like crap in a few years.....only 19 k garage kept, only in rain a few times....

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
My 15 Ruby Red has the corrosion breaking through and dropping white powder.....2 weeks till my 3 year warranty expires...time to take it in. I am Pissed. Was trying to keep paint all factory and keep the car for 10 plus years....now I am sure any repaint will look like crap in a few years.....only 19 k garage kept, only in rain a few times....
Galvanic corrosion doesn't need water to occur. It's a chemical reaction between aluminum and steel.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Mine has been submitted to Ford by my dealer for full hood replacement.
E4E55A88-C430-4740-99EF-C0C9A0942A05.jpeg
679DB981-5A80-4D4B-8439-3E39EC115AF6.jpeg
8B337542-7A8A-4EB2-9FAD-4D502FFF04BB.jpeg

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
UPDATE, so far Ford has denied warranty claim, Dealer says they want to see holes or erosion in the metal. So if we scrape paint off, and there are divots in the aluminum I can resubmit claim.....will update in a week or so...

Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
UPDATE, so far Ford has denied warranty claim, Dealer says they want to see holes or erosion in the metal. So if we scrape paint off, and there are divots in the aluminum I can resubmit claim.....will update in a week or so...
My dealer was no questions asked. They sent the pictures to Ford and just took care of it all.

It is a known issue within Ford.

TheKHammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Dealer took care of mine no questions, just took photos and submitted the claim to Ford.

Also, the original plan was simply to repaint, but I was told there was electrolysis which would resurface if only repainted. The whole hood was replaced under warranty.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
he's probably out of warranty, and it's a 15, it doesn't have that clause for 5 years that the 16s and up do. mine was no questions asked as well but i was still under warranty

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Wow ford refused mine but it s very small compare to your situation. It s very obvious here. If you or the dealer scratch one of the buble and manage to see a white powder it will be a proof that is galvanic aluminium corrosion that occurs due to iron contamination.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
[MENTION=14108]RIBS[/MENTION]

Have you opened a Case with your regional Ford Customer Service Rep? This is separate from dealing with the Ford Service Center.

Once you call and get the Ford CSR, you state your concerns (professionally) and also how upset you are about having to deal with this on a vehicle you worked hard to purchase, and as a customer you feel that Ford is not doing the right thing to make you whole. The CSR will issue an actual Case #. That Case # now elevates your vehicle to a higher priority level and the CSR may get a local Ford FSE involved who will visit the Dealership; he/she will examine the concern in person and be able to document the concern back to Ford (sometimes better than the Techs or yourself).

The Case # will stay with the vehicle/owner until the Case is deemed closed by your satisfaction of the repair OR if the claim cannot be warranteed.

Here is a Ford Corp. # I have that will get you going:
1-800-392-3673 / select Option 5

Once you get a person on the phone, you ask to speak with a Ford Regional Rep for your location (State/Town).

—

I can’t stress it enough to anyone having difficulties getting made whole with a Ford vehicle concern, whether it’s warranty related OR your having difficulties dealing with the people at your Service Center - use the info above and get a Case # established. This not only gets you better assistance, BUT it’s all documented. Once you do get an assigned Ford CSR, make sure you email him/her when at all possible to continue further documentation in the event there are future concerns OR if ending up in a Lemon Law/Buy Back situation.

IMO, Ford should do the right thing in your instance, because that is CLEARLY a metallurgic issue, which will only proceed to get much worse as time passes. Even if the car never sees moisture or salt to add to the existing corrosion, that metallurgic reaction just continues on its own - very much like once a metal body panel has been breached with rust. The only way to resolve rust or metallurgic issues is to cut it out or replace the panel.
Sponsored