Sponsored

Suspension Upgrades for 2016 Auto GT

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm lost at what I should do for upgrading my suspension for my 2016 Mustang GT (auto) and could use some help deciding what to do.

• I won't be tracking the car often
  • I want the car to have more stability and feel more planted especially during launch
  • I want the car to be able to corner better
  • I want to eliminate the bounciness - particularly in the rear
  • Basically I want to be able to control the power of the GT with more confidence
I definitely will be getting rid of the OEM Pirelli all-season tires and switching to Pilot Sport 4S (SoCal knows no winter).

I would like to stay close to Ford Performance parts as possible but I'm open to alternatives.

Street Handling Pack - this is basically just making my GT a PP in terms of suspension
Track Handling Pack - this feels overkill and may make the ride too stiff but probably the most complete overhaul kit
Sway Bar & Spring Kit - This lowers the car but probably doesn't address bounciness

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Sponsored

5LTR550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Efren
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium GT A10 401a 2017 Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
BMR or Steeda vertical links , Toe links,
and either the BMR IRS cradle lock out level 2 cb005 or the steeda version/option.

steeda simplifies it with the stop the hop package then add in whatever spring you want. that Package Includes
  • 555-4437 - 2015 Steeda Mustang IRS Subframe Bushing Support System
  • 555-4438 - 2015 Steeda Mustang IRS Subframe Alignment Kit
  • 555-4121 - 2015 Steeda Mustang Billet Aluminum Vertical Links
  • 555-5754 - 2015 Steeda Mustang IRS Subframe Support Braces
  • 555-4120 - 2015 Steeda Mustang Adjustable Rear Toe Links
or reach out to BMR and I'm sure they can set up a package for you.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I went with oem PP shocks/struts, bmr min drop springs SP763, and Steeda billet shock mounts. If you wanted more of an upgrade on dampers, Steeda non-adjustable pro action

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I used the Ford Racing shock/strut kit M-18000-F which is essentially the base GT350 stuff, and Steeda's minimum drop springs as I wanted to stay close to stock height.

I also put in a subframe alignment kit and bushing support kit. Took me about 4 hours total to do it all on jackstands and then I got it aligned (amazingly they only adjusted toe since I asked as the OEM spec isn't great, everything was spot on OEM spec). Totally different beast now, its very planted and I can push hard into corners without feeling a lack of confidence. My favorite part is the horrible harshness of the stock setup is gone, it soaks up bumps that were bone jarring before with no issue.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I went with oem PP shocks/struts, bmr min drop springs SP763, and Steeda billet shock mounts. If you wanted more of an upgrade on dampers, Steeda non-adjustable pro action
This! Definitely the best combination of parts for a great handling and riding DD that is predictable and confidence inspiring to drive. .

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
This'll is what I installed after a bunch of research. Everyone has their own opinion so I took all those and then did what I wanted.
In the end it worked out great. It's only positives and no negatives from my perception.

Ford street handling pack
Steeda lateral & tension links
Steeda Bumpsteer kit
Steeda rear vertical links with poly bushings
Steeda front and rear sway bar end links
Steeda stop the hop starter kit

Car is low but not too low and it handles like you dream it should. You won't be able to push it to the limit on the street and it's trackable but at the same time soaks up the shitty city streets.

Wheel hop is 100% gone the car just hooks and goes. The floaty disconnected feeling of the rear end is totally gone. The rear end feels glued the car.

It's race car without being fully racecar. Comfort plus handling. Win win. But like I said everyone's after something different. This was my idea of perfect.

My car has the 20" option so it already has the PP stiffening braces (firewall K brace and the other firewall tie brace and lower brace.). Plus I've also got a gt350 strut tower brace.
20180505_121547-1814x1361.jpg
20180505_121624-1814x1361.jpg
20180505_121609-1814x1361.jpg

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I'm lost at what I should do for upgrading my suspension for my 2016 Mustang GT (auto) and could use some help deciding what to do.

• I won't be tracking the car often
  • I want the car to have more stability and feel more planted especially during launch
  • I want the car to be able to corner better
  • I want to eliminate the bounciness - particularly in the rear
  • Basically I want to be able to control the power of the GT with more confidence
I definitely will be getting rid of the OEM Pirelli all-season tires and switching to Pilot Sport 4S (SoCal knows no winter).

I would like to stay close to Ford Performance parts as possible but I'm open to alternatives.

Street Handling Pack - this is basically just making my GT a PP in terms of suspension
Track Handling Pack - this feels overkill and may make the ride too stiff but probably the most complete overhaul kit
Sway Bar & Spring Kit - This lowers the car but probably doesn't address bounciness

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Happy to put you in contact with one of our build experts - they can discuss your goals & put together a package that suits your needs & budget.

Happy to help if you want to go this route.

Best Regards,

TJ

OP
OP
Aurum

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for all the great tips. It sounds like the core package I should be looking at consists of:

- Upgraded shocks/struts
- A rear cradle lock-out kit
- Lowering springs
- Shock mounts

Nice to haves are:

- Vertical links
- Sway bars

Since most of my driving is spirited canyon roads, going for an all out track package is probably overkill since I want to minimize NVS and have it be comfortable for longer road trips with the fam.

Is there a place to buy OEM PP struts/shocks? I'm pricing BMR/Steeda options, but I can't find a place to buy the PP gear - its all the track version.

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
Ford track handling pack, FR3M8
Night and day better handling over PP
Very usable as daily

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Thanks for all the great tips. It sounds like the core package I should be looking at consists of:

- Upgraded shocks/struts
- Lowering springs
- Shock mounts

Nice to haves are:

- Vertical links
- Sway bars

Since most of my driving is spirited canyon roads, going for an all out track package is probably overkill since I want to minimize NVS and have it be comfortable for longer road trips with the fam.

Is there a place to buy OEM PP struts/shocks? I'm pricing BMR/Steeda options, but I can't find a place to buy the PP gear - its all the track version.
If you're going to take the car apart or pay to take it apart I'd highly recommend upgraded shock and struts over PP to one of the following or better.

Steeda Fixed shocks struts
Koni's (Orange)
Ford Racing Track

The Ford Racing Street Pack has Performance Pack level Shocks/Struts but in my opinion I'd have to upgrade to a better shock/strut fi I'm doing a suspension build

I don't track my car but love to have a very capable car. Car handle AMAZING.

Eibach Pro
Koni Adjustable(Yellow)
Steeda Sway Bars and Endlinks-Nice to have but you be sorry if you did get them.
G-Trac Extreme lower Brace-Makes a difference.

I have and need to install the Steeda shock mounts, IRS bushings and alignment dowels

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

- Upgraded shocks/struts
- Lowering springs
- Shock mounts

Nice to haves are:

- Vertical links
- Sway bars

JR3Z-18124-E
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...ont-suspension-cat/struts-and-components-scat

FR3Z-18125-W
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...ear-suspension-cat/shocks-and-components-scat

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase

- Upgraded shocks/struts
- Lowering springs
- Shock mounts

Nice to haves are:

- Vertical links
- Sway bars

Steer clear from PP shocks and stuts, unless, of course, you want dampers that leak after 8k miles. I can’t speak for Koni, but the Steeda fixed ProActions are silky-smooth performers and are an incredible value. Pair these up with Steeda Sport Linear or Steeda Progressives for a supple ride, or snag the Ultralite Linears for some laser-beam handling with a firm but great “sportscar” ride.

Penguinsflyx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 16
Great info guys. What are your thoughts on upgrading to OEM GT350 struts/shocks? And are GT350 and GT350R struts/shocks the same?

My 16 GT base model Currently got BMR performance lowering springs and GT350R sway bars. Kind of want to keep build as consistent as possible.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Great info guys. What are your thoughts on upgrading to OEM GT350 struts/shocks? And are GT350 and GT350R struts/shocks the same?

My 16 GT base model Currently got BMR performance lowering springs and GT350R sway bars. Kind of want to keep build as consistent as possible.
GT350 rear shocks do not fit on the GT control arms.

What would be an excellent upgrade are the FP Track dampers, M-18000-F, which have GT350 monotube damper tuning.
Sponsored