Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
This is the first time I think we have all been blessed with a proper brake setup from the factory. That blessing does come with a bit of a curse. For some time now we have known of issues related to caliper and wheel damage that occurs from debris getting caught between the two. Cause of the issue is a lack of clearance between the barrel and caliper. I have come across a few people that had this occur to them when tracking or street driving the OEM wheels. There are also several aftermarket brands more susceptible to the issue as well.

For the past 3 years of the cars production I haven’t seen this openly discussed, so it’s hard to tell how common the issue is. It also seems like many enthusiasts don’t even know about the potential problems this can cause and which setups can cause it. With the car continuing for 2019 I want to get an accurate picture of how many have been affected. If you’ve had it happen to you or someone you know post up some photos and data of what happened. Also very curious to see if the new 2019 wheel option will address the issue.

Here are a couple photos I have of damage to the stock GT350 and 350R wheel. If you have photos of your damage please share, indicate your wheel setup, and list if it happened on street or track. No need to feel embarrassed or ashamed. Let’s make this educational for other enthusiasts, and filled with relevant data.

F10_AEC17_4402_4658_9_D9_A_259_F3_D4284_EF.jpg

1_A85831_A_3_B23_4_FD4_ADEC_120_D90_DD4248.jpg

F450_B288_043_F_4297_81_A5_0_EED0_C342869.jpg
Sponsored

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I have had this occur on my stock R wheels and my P51 aftermarket R spec wheels.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Never have seen this before nor heard of it. I take my wheels off frequently and inspect them for events so nothing here.

Now, my Forgestar wheels in the rear clear the caliper by about 2mm from the caliper face to the spokes. That makes me a touch nervous but I've had some hard spin outs on course and not a lick of an issue.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Zero problems, but all it takes is one pebble. For this reason, I use street wheels and tires. Anytime anybody asks, I recommend your signature wheels. If it wasnt for a new seawall and whole house generator, I would be relieving you of a set.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I haven't had issues with the stock wheels but my calipers got scratched up pretty bad with my Project 6GRs. They had quite a bit of scratches from street driving and I could hear the rocks get stuck in between the caliper and wheel barrel. Once I got on track, it was much worse.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

My new set of wheels (VIBE Motorsports) and OEM wheels are fine though. Not a single thing has gotten stuck there or caused any scratches.

Sponsored

swedensky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lariat 3.5, 2016 GT350
One of those pictures are my factory Carbon wheels. As Tom said, it only takes one pebble...my calipers are scratched all the way through the paint/powder also.

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes
My OEM wheels with Super Sports are fine...P51 wheels with Sport Cups 2 are NOT...many scratches and really problematic. Probably more a tire issue ? These SC2's pick up everything. My performance shop recommended to add a "non sticking" coating to the inner wheel barrel ? I have not proceeded with that thought. Ideas welcome. Thanks

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I haven't had issues with the stock wheels but my calipers got scratched up pretty bad with my Project 6GRs. They had quite a bit of scratches from street driving and I could hear the rocks get stuck in between the caliper and wheel barrel. Once I got on track, it was much worse.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

My new set of wheels (VIBE Motorsports) and OEM wheels are fine though. Not a single thing has gotten stuck there or caused any scratches.
Very cringe worthy. :(

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Both my track pack and R have had scaring from debris stuck between the caliper and wheel but only front wheels both sides. I also take my wheels of frequently and like Tom said, all it takes is a pebble

Sponsored

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
This is the first I'm hearing of this issue. I saw this thread lastnight and immediately went and checked my wheels. I can't see any scratches, but I have a lot of brake dust and road dust on my wheels (I've been neglecting her baths this week). I'll post an edit later if I find any damage. I never realized these cars came with so many things we have to look out for; bumper gaps, trim gaps, blown engines, oil consumption, catastrophic oil pressure loss, and now this. Makes me want to wrap my car in bubble wrap and never take it out of the garage :lol:

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Did it hit the weave or was it only through the resin? Either way...:(
Only damaged the resin from what I saw. Talked with Carbon Revolution and they said it shouldn't be an issue. Every time I would drive the car I could here the rocks getting stuck and then popped or crushed out from between the caliper/barrel. I wasn't driving through gravel or anything, just blacktop with normal debris and whatnot. I ordered P51 R spec wheels within a week of the groove occurrence. When the groove happened it sounded like I was driving down the side of a curb for 10 feet. Horrible sound.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My OEM wheels, 6GRs, and calipers were all scratched before I ever ran an R compound tire. Here's my caliper before I repainted them.
IMG_4201.JPG

And this was my OEM wheel that only ran super sports.
20171227_161708.jpg

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
I have the project 6 Gr wheels and they are tight. Yes, the paint is going to get thrashed but I’m not worried about it as there’s nothing I can do about it. It’s never going to hurt the calipers other than cosmetically. And it’s going to take just the right rock in just the right spot over and over and over to put an alloy wheel in jeopardy for street use. This is just my opinion given the gouges I’ve seen track wheels survive with. Embrace the scratches. Ain’t no show car ;)
Sponsored