Sponsored

Interesting oil thread on the Ford GT forum

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It never fails to amuse me how everybody always knows more than the Ford engineers that actually tested the parts.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
From that thread:

"Rotella oils are not recommended for gasoline vehicles with catalytic converters.
Best regards,
Shell Technical"

Dated 11/13/13
That would be a big nope for me.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Keep in mind that thread is from 2012 - 2014, and they are talking about the previous generation GT with the S/C V8.

Either way, I’ve had no issues with the stock oil (changing it when the car tells me it’s time to do so).

-T

Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I still can't comprehend how anyone with their engine still under warranty would want to risk having an engine warranty issue and it then being found that you used something other than the factory oil.

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
Lol - It’s very important to have the right oil in your truck powered Ford GT than drives 300 miles per year to and from the club. It’s a show car.
:lol: Just couldn't resist...that is a hilarious comment...some truth to it to. :clap2:

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I still can't comprehend how anyone with their engine still under warranty would want to risk having an engine warranty issue and it then being found that you used something other than the factory oil.
I still can't believe factories recommend you use the same oil in the track AND street, and people think "that's ok".

Seems the ZL1 was the only car I can think of that actually tells you to use a more heavy oil when on the track in their performance car, then immediately dump it for lighter when you're done.

Savage Geese have a good video about it. [ame]

Last edited:

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
:lol: Just couldn't resist...that is a hilarious comment...some truth to it to. :clap2:
:D I’ll come clean; I’m just bitter I don’t have one. Even the 5.4 truck motor one. ;)

But seriously, seems like too many waayyy overthink this stuff. It’s oil. Entire empires have been built on paranoia. But if the engine’s going to come apart, it’s not because you switched to syntec.

Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I still can't believe factories recommend you use the same oil in the track AND street, and people think "that's ok".

Seems the ZL1 was the only car I can think of that actually tells you to use a more heavy oil when on the track in their performance car, then immediately dump it for lighter when you're done.

Savage Geese have a good video about it.
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. It doesn't matter whether you're right, and it doesn't matter if there's a better oil for the car. If the engine fails for any reason, one of the easiest ways for Ford to deny the warranty claim is to see you used a different oil. If you want to try arguing to Ford that you did something contrary to what was written plainly on the top of the engine because you know better than them, all power to you man.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. It doesn't matter whether you're right, and it doesn't matter if there's a better oil for the car. If the engine fails for any reason, one of the easiest ways for Ford to deny the warranty claim is to see you used a different oil. If you want to try arguing to Ford that you did something contrary to what was written plainly on the top of the engine because you know better than them, all power to you man.
No, I understand what youre saying. They have to prove the oil caused the failure. You should really read up on your customer rights. Shit, even my ALTIMA gives alternative oils for different regions and how you drive.

Let me guess you also worry about the Do Not Remove tags on mattresses also.

I mean, does Ford even really know?
All these are recommended on the 5.0
5.0 5w20
BOSS 302 10w40 (later revised to 5w50
5.0 with Track Pack 5w50

Know what is different in the internals? Nothing. Just the 5w40/50 cars are expected to see track time.

If you track your car you need better oil. If not, you don't. Have fun blowing up running a 20 at the track all day though.

Last edited:

Amaury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
I love Driven and BradPenn. Call me when Ford makes a better oil than those...

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Ford says use any oil that meets their specs. There are two or three oils that do. So if the oil you use doesn't meet there specs and your engine fails and Ford says oil, you have much weaker case, because Ford will have a pile experts that say the oil spec is necessary, and can you afford a pile of experts that can back you up, is brand X oil going send their lawyers to court for you? That is where reality lives.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Ford says use any oil that meets their specs. There are two or three oils that do. So if the oil you use doesn't meet there specs and your engine fails and Ford says oil, you have much weaker case, because Ford will have a pile experts that say the oil spec is necessary, and can you afford a pile of experts that can back you up, is brand X oil going send their lawyers to court for you? That is where reality lives.
What are you talking about? Mobile1 alone has like 4 oils that meet the WSS-M2C945-A requirement. Castrol and Valvoline also have multiple.
Sponsored