GT spare wheel kit from ford dealers

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Has anyone purchased one of the GT spare wheel kits from a ford dealer ? It’s not the Gnome Tempe wheel but a Chinese space saver with ford jack kit .
Sponsored

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Maybe the same one Pony Parts was putting together? I really need to remember to ask them about it.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
MUS550

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No it’s not the pony parts one as it has been available for a while now

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Very interested in this from Ford dealer as I figure there will be no ADR/insurance/warranty issues.
Ford Dealer quoted me $1000 with jack (and presumably wheel brace). Reckon if I pay top dollar I'll never use it; Murphy's law.
Quite keen as I recently had a flat, late at night, 120 km from home, 36 hours before flying back here for work. RACV came out and inflated tyre using kit in boot. Got me home at 80 kmh. Cost me $500 for new tyre. Tyre guys whinging about toxicity of inflator goo. Also reckon it renders tyre irreparable. And stuffs TPMS although mine worked ok on trip home and ok with new tyre.

Does anyone else know about this?
BTW new recharge for inflator kit is $110. 4 year expiry.
Made the flight.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MUS550

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Very interested in this from Ford dealer as I figure there will be no ADR/insurance/warranty issues.
Ford Dealer quoted me $1000 with jack (and presumably wheel brace). Reckon if I pay top dollar I'll never use it; Murphy's law.
Quite keen as I recently had a flat, late at night, 120 km from home, 36 hours before flying back here for work. RACV came out and inflated tyre using kit in boot. Got me home at 80 kmh. Cost me $500 for new tyre. Tyre guys whinging about toxicity of inflator goo. Also reckon it renders tyre irreparable. And stuffs TPMS although mine worked ok on trip home and ok with new tyre.

Does anyone else know about this?
BTW new recharge for inflator kit is $110. 4 year expiry.
Made the flight.
ACDA84E5-C957-4BFC-9F79-DC9628D3CFA1.jpeg
this is the kit

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, that's $1000 is it all up from Ford dealer?

Reading another forum where owner said to exercise caution connecting the inflator tube to the valve stem. I had the same problem. Although it appeared tightly connected, a fair bit of white sealant was pumped out onto my wheel. The RACV guy rechecked it and inflated it. I'd never done one of these before. The RACV guy had, but not a Mustang.

OP
OP
MUS550

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Cost depends on dealer three dealerships quoted prices ranging from $700 -$950 it’s not the pony parts wheel , does fit under carpet floor panel but not with the jack bolted under it as it causes the wheel to sit up too high

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Thanks - are you in Melbourne? Can you please let me know or PM me which dealer quoted $700. Thanks.
Much less than $1000 from my selling dealer.

Having been caught short once, don't want it to happen again.
Changing flat used to be 15 minute inconvenience.

Sponsored

Nostromo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017, Barton shifter, MBRP street
Picked up a new S559 GT from Ford dealer in Perth a month ago and paid $1,100 for a proper spare and jack which looks the same as the one MUS550 posted above. Not cheap but the Fleabay ones had sold out - then listed at $700 (and I didn't have the time to chase up a Gnome spare listed in the other thread in this forum). This fits in the wheel well flush with the deck and I fitted the supplied jack as it should be with the pin through it. The brace/spanner is pathetic and wouldn't undo my standard torqued lug nuts, so I had a spare socket and short breaker bar in the shed which I wrapped in a decent rag and threw under the wheel as well.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Picked up a new S559 GT from Ford dealer in Perth a month ago and paid $1,100 for a proper spare and jack which looks the same as the one MUS550 posted above. Not cheap but the Fleabay ones had sold out - then listed at $700 (and I didn't have the time to chase up a Gnome spare listed in the other thread in this forum). This fits in the wheel well flush with the deck and I fitted the supplied jack as it should be with the pin through it. The brace/spanner is pathetic and wouldn't undo my standard torqued lug nuts, so I had a spare socket and short breaker bar in the shed which I wrapped in a decent rag and threw under the wheel as well.
What did you do with inflator kit? Having recharged it I wanna keep it on board as backup. 30 years ago I had two flats same day.

OP
OP
MUS550

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How did you get the wheel to sit down over the jack when bolted in ? I tried but the wheel sits on the brace and won’t go down enough to sit flush

Nostromo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017, Barton shifter, MBRP street
Ray, I left the inflator kit tucked in it's foam carrier tucked in the right back corner of the boot as another backup because I do mostly country miles. Does occupy a bit of space but I've got a Landcruiser if I'm serious about carting stuff around.
Matt, I followed rhe (poor quality) pictures which I think were in the owners manual. The brace fits on the jack and then fitted under the wheel with the supplied screw down bolt going through the wheel brace and jack which screws it all down. Think I had to have the jack opened half way but it all fits flush. If Ford had a brain they'd simply supply a proper spare to start with in Australia. I'll try and take a phone photo tomorrow if I get home before dark and post it on the forum if I can.