Sponsored

A little more sound

DELZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I was hoping for some advice in regards to my 2017 V6 daily driver. I love the fact that the 3.7 runs on 87 octane and gets good mileage on a 300hp engine. I was shocked how inexpensive it was when I bought earlier this year. My only real issue with the car is that it is so quiet. The problem is that I don't want the car too loud as my daily and I commute a fair distance. Will a resonator delete X pipe be much of a difference sound wise on a bone stock car?

Thanks,
D
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I was hoping for some advice in regards to my 2017 V6 daily driver. I love the fact that the 3.7 runs on 87 octane and gets good mileage on a 300hp engine. I was shocked how inexpensive it was when I bought earlier this year. My only real issue with the car is that it is so quiet. The problem is that I don't want the car too loud as my daily and I commute a fair distance. Will a resonator delete X pipe be much of a difference sound wise on a bone stock car?

Thanks,
D
I would highly suggest leaving the resonator and replacing/deleting the mufflers. Removing the resonator leaves the car sounding raspy with the stock mufflers. You could look into the stock GT exhaust that many others have done as that does increase volume without any side effects.

As a crazy thought, the 2018 GT quad tip exhaust is only $250 per side! :thumbsup:

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I highly recommend the GT exhaust. Its cheap, since many GT owners take theirs off. It bolts right up in about 45mins and looks factory. The sound is deeper and I feel its perfect.

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
I highly recommend the GT exhaust. Its cheap, since many GT owners take theirs off. It bolts right up in about 45mins and looks factory. The sound is deeper and I feel its perfect.
+1
GT takeoff cat-back is best bang for buck on the V6. I have two since they are so cheap ($50 and $40). One is stock and the other has the resonator removed. I have tried H-pipe and X-pipe replacements. X-pipe was to raspy for my tastes. H-pipe sounded good below 3.5K rpm, but got tinny above that.
After trying both the stock GT is on the car enough noise when on it and quite when cruising.

BTW - post in your area forum asking if someone has a GT cat-back they want to get rid of. If you are lucky they will just want it out of their garage.

OP
OP

DELZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I think I have to listen to some GT exhaust sound clips on the 3.7.

Sponsored

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
[MENTION=32912]DELZZZ[/MENTION]

I was in the same boat as you as regards to sound. First I replaced the axleback with a Roush, I liked it but not enough. Week later I installed bbk short tube headers. Made the exhaust note alot more crisp especially under load at about 3k rpm.

I still wanted it louder so I got a heartthrob xpipe and removed the resonator and god damn the thing was loud, a little too loud with the windows rolled up for long car rides. That lasted a year until it annoyed me and then swapped the xpipe for a borla touring resonator which made the entire car basically silent.

I'm enjoying the silence for now only because it's winter but I have a funny feeling I'm gonna swap that xpipe back on come spring. Just remember it's your DD not weekend car so you have to deal with the noise factor day in and day out.

OP
OP

DELZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I'm really liking the sound of the GT exhaust with a resonator delete X pipe.
How bad is the drone with this set up?

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Define drone for me.
My understanding of drone is a resonance that can be heard and felt inside the car. At worse case shake the car and/or drive you bonkers.
When I first had the resonator delete done there was a humming noise that I found annoying. But after a week or two it was gone, break in period I guess. That was my only issue.

scooter550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang in Comp Orange
I agree on the GT exhaust if you want a little more sound.
That's exactly what I did on my 2016 V6- best mod ever.
Here's the video that convinced me to do it:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlBcPfLZW8s&t=38s
AND- it will yield more power and help any mods in the future.
Good Luck !!!

Sponsored
OP
OP

DELZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Define drone for me.
My understanding of drone is a resonance that can be heard and felt inside the car. At worse case shake the car and/or drive you bonkers.
When I first had the resonator delete done there was a humming noise that I found annoying. But after a week or two it was gone, break in period I guess. That was my only issue.
That's drone alright.
I CANNOT put my C5 into 6th at the speed limit on the highway without losing my mind :eyebulge:
I can only use 6th if my rpm's are up and I'm flying.
I can deal with loud on my toy. Not on my daily driver.

OP
OP

DELZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Then you'll like resonator delete with gt exhaust. I've driven 6th as low as 1500rpm @ 60mph and there is no drone.
Awesome, thanks. Now I just need to find a GT exhaust and a shop to fab an X pipe / weld everything up.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Agree on the GT exhaust. I have an 18GT now but I can tell you that the stock GT Catbacks on the V6 is going to be what most people are looking for because it was damn near perfect for me when i did it.

When I had my 2015 V6 and was trying to mess with the sound I read reviews and found the FM Outlaws were the best...so I bought em.
It sounded great and had a nice little rumble but it got really high pitched when I really stepped on it. It went from a gurgly rumble to a high pitched tone as my RPMs climbed...not to forget a lot of drone as well. I would get embarrassed to step on it because of that high pitch.

I then replaced it with a GT exhaust and I found it to be the best sound for the V6. It won't be as aggressive sounding as most of the aftermarket exhaust systems but it has a deeper tone throughout the whole powerband. No rasp either. This is how the V6's should've sounded from the factory IMO. There was absolutely zero drone too which was a plus, the cabin sound was really nice because it was just a deeper tone inside. One user on here mentioned that it sounded very "classy", and I agree on that.

Damn i kind of miss my 3.7 now haha.
Sponsored