Loud whooshing noise from turbo, no boost

Go On 3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 1996 GT, 2014 BMW 335i
2015 EcoBoost PP, 6 speed, 32k miles, completely stock / no mods yet.

I was on a back road, thought I'd make use of the track apps and time my 0 - 60.

Launched the car, at around 5k rpms shifted into 2nd. Rode 2nd up to 6600 rpms and shifted. While I was shifting, or immediately after, I heard a fairly loud popping/banging noise.
I slowed down and drove normally. But now when I get to about 2k rpms and the turbo starts spooling, I hear a loud whooshing noise, kind of like when you disconnect a hose from an air compressor. The noise is constant when in boost, and goes away when off boost. The boost gauge on the dash never goes past 0 psi now.

Even when I hold the pedal to the floor, the acceleration is very slow.

I took a look under the hood but don't see any loose or disconnected hoses; and I don't have access to a smoke machine to check for boost leaks.

It's Sunday tomorrow, all the shops in town are closed (I live in a very small town in PA), and I'd really like to get this sorted by Monday before the work week begins; any advice on where to go from here?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
What you're describing sounds like one of the hoses popped off the intercooler. They're hard to see from up top. Slide your arm down there and take a flash picture or vid with your phone, then look at it.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
Mine does that when the by-pass valve sticks open

OP
OP
Go On 3

Go On 3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 1996 GT, 2014 BMW 335i
What you're describing sounds like one of the hoses popped off the intercooler. They're hard to see from up top. Slide your arm down there and take a flash picture or vid with your phone, then look at it.
This was exactly the problem...I moved the coolant reservoir so that I could see better, as soon as I looked down, the hot side intercooler hose was completely detached from the coupling.

I reattached and tightened it down, went for a quick drive, and everything was back to normal; until it popped off again. I thought I had it snug, but didn't want to overtighten it either. Didn't want to pinch the tube and risk having a small leak.

On the plus side, the past few days, the intake temps have been way high, in the 140s+. Couldn't figure out why, but the hose must have been slowly making its way loose and leaking; when I reattached the hose, temps were normal again.

Thank you for the quick responses everyone.

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Consider upgrading the clamps to a t-bolt style. Easier & more robust to get good 'n' tight.

Sponsored

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I had this problem. Member here suggested spraying a little hair spray on the joint just before resetting the hose. No issues since.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
I had this problem. Member here suggested spraying a little hair spray on the joint just before resetting the hose. No issues since.

what he said

It's also a PITA to get off if done correct
Sponsored