Sponsored

JLT Oil Separator on a used Mustang?

GasPedal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium | Race Red
Is it worth it to get the JLT oil separator for a Mustang with 28K miles on it? It didn't come with one already installed and I'm not sure if it's a lost cause at this point.
Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
It's probably never bad idea. Perhaps you could get the throttle body and intake cleaned if it needed it?

OP
OP
GasPedal

GasPedal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium | Race Red
It's probably never bad idea. Perhaps you could get the throttle body and intake cleaned if it needed it?
I don't know the first thing about cleaning those, is that expensive/something I can DIY?

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know the first thing about cleaning those, is that expensive/something I can DIY?
The throttle body ("TB") is right in front of you when you pop open the hood. It's connected to the front of the intake manfold, and your air intake/filter is connected to it.

All you need to do is:

1. Remove your air intake
2. Unbolt the TB from the manifold (it's held on by 4 bolts) and unplug the electrical connector
3. Clean the inside of the TB well with TB cleaner and a rag
4. Re-install TB and air intake

There are plenty of tutorials on Youtube. It's easy to do on our cars.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
It was a major project on one of my prior cars!

It may not be necessary but could be fun if you like to tinker around. On this car it's easy enough you could do every couple of air filter changes. You just don't want anything to get inside the manifold such as dirt, tools, animals, etc.

Sponsored

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
Once you see what a separator catches after only 1,000 miles (or even less) you'll never go without again. Never too late in my opinion as it can only help. I have a Ford Performance separator i could probably give you a good deal on. Works great, and has the OEM look, but i plan on going FI so it won't fit at that point.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Is it worth it to get the JLT oil separator for a Mustang with 28K miles on it? It didn't come with one already installed and I'm not sure if it's a lost cause at this point.

You're over thinking it. While oil vapors are being circulated through your engine, your 2016 is port injected, meaning your valves are being hosed down with fuel detergents constantly. As long as you use top-tier fuel (which is most major fuel brands), you will see almost zero performance / longevity gains by installing a catch can.

If it were me, I'd spend the money on other mods, but each to their own.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I have JLT catch can, it's trivial to empty it. I get zero oil in it when I am just DDing the car, I will get a teaspoon or so after a track day. The issue is not so much oil getting valves dirty it's oil vapor potentially altering the air/fuel mix and that is not a good thing.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I have JLT catch can, it's trivial to empty it. I get zero oil in it when I am just DDing the car, I will get a teaspoon or so after a track day. The issue is not so much oil getting valves dirty it's oil vapor potentially altering the air/fuel mix and that is not a good thing.
I have the JLT 1.0 catch can and still had oil in my intake manifold when I swapped to the 18 GT mani. I was honestly surprised because I thought the catch can would do a much better job, but I guess not.

Like you, the catch can always has a trivial amount of oil in it when I empty it in between oil changes. Not even a 1 oz. shot glass worth of oil.

N/A Full bolt on with spirited driving.

Sponsored

Danman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Ummm, why? I've never read any post on why one of these helps the engine performance in a positive way. If it was such a great idea, wouldn't Ford and all manufacturer's add one at the factory to vehicles?

This is a snake oil product.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
If falls in that gray area of mods like the lighter clutch assist spring..

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Ummm, why? I've never read any post on why one of these helps the engine performance in a positive way. If it was such a great idea, wouldn't Ford and all manufacturer's add one at the factory to vehicles?

This is a snake oil product.
They don't put one stock because people wouldn't clean it out (needs to be cleaned out every few thousand miles). If you don't clean it out, it will clog and completely F up everything... so, too much liability for stock. But if you're someone who's going to clean it, it keeps all that nasty goop out of your engine.

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
I have a JLT 3.0 can on my car. I daily drive my car and rarely get on it. I just changed my oil this morning and the can was about 2/3 full of oil. I changed my oil early this time too, around 7,000 miles (due to other factors).

I dont care what the haters say, I am glad knowing all that oil didnt get thrown into my intake for around 100 bucks and a 30 second install.
Sponsored