Sponsored

Horrible front tire wear! Is PP the problem?

8borerifle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Mustang
I have a 2015 Ecoboost Premium with PP. Just replaced the A/S Continentals with Firestone Firehawk 500's. The Continentals looked like they had half the thread left, but when I looked at the inside tread of the front tires, the cord was showing on the very edge of the inside of both front tires. The car tracks straight and no indication of a problem. Does the performance pack alignment cause the strange tire wear? I am 70 years old and do not drive the car fast at all. Could it be the car is out of alignment? I am going to have it checked! Thanks for your help! I thought the tires were being rotated when I had the oil changed, but they were not I found out! The Continentals had 17,000 miles on them.
Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
The EB/PP comes with Pirelli tires. I replaced mine with OEM Pirelli tires at 8500 on the rear and replaced the other 2 at 16k. The outer tire was wearing out before the inner tire. I would expect an alignment problem on your car.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

8borerifle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Mustang
Got back from alignment shop. Owner (who did the alignment) said everything was on spec. He said if you want to play you have to pay! Camber on performance package is set for handling, not tire longevity. He added a little toe in to help off set the camber which he could not change. He said that would help slow the tire wear and to rotate the tires every 5000 miles. He also said there is a kit you can buy that enables the camber to be adjusted if I wanted to go that route. No racing for me, it is a daily driver, and I will try the toe in. I have a 7 year 60,000 bumper to bumper warranty and currently have 38,000 on the car. When I hit 60,000 miles I am going to get rid of it because of the air conditioning problems. I went to trade it off a little while ago (it is in very good condition with new tires and almost every available option including auto, PP, navigation, eqpt group 201A and premier trim) and was offered $15,000.00!!!!!! Thanks for your help!

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Take it to another shop. No kit is needed to adjust camber. All cars have adjustable front camber. Your car has too much negative camber. The PP does not restrict the car from having proper alignment.

I have 25k miles on the original P-zeros and the tread wear is even across all four tires on wheels that can't be rotated. I also have done more four wheel alignments on formula cars than I cared to that were checked using tire temps in the pits.

OP
OP

8borerifle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Mustang
Thanks for your help Tom, I know nothing about the front end suspension! I probably will not get anything more done as I am thinking about trading for a new Mustang. Hope they got the A/C evaporator problem solved in the 2019's! Not happy about the trade in value, but a lot of the problem with the value was because Carfax showed a mileage at an oil change at a local dealer was WAY LESS than the miles logged at two previous oil changes. I know the tech was too lazy to look at the mileage and just wrote down an even 15,000 miles! Trying to get that straightened out now:frusty:

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Yeah - camber is off. I know the BWM's have crazy camber angles and the tires need to be changed every 12-16k miles.

jac10327

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Perfomance Pack
I have a 2015 Ecoboost Premium with PP. Just replaced the A/S Continentals with Firestone Firehawk 500's. The Continentals looked like they had half the thread left, but when I looked at the inside tread of the front tires, the cord was showing on the very edge of the inside of both front tires. The car tracks straight and no indication of a problem. Does the performance pack alignment cause the strange tire wear? I am 70 years old and do not drive the car fast at all. Could it be the car is out of alignment? I am going to have it checked! Thanks for your help! I thought the tires were being rotated when I had the oil changed, but they were not I found out! The Continentals had 17,000 miles on them.
I have a 2017 GT performance pack and my front tires a wearing badly on the inside. My original Pirelli tires wore evenly, I'm now on my second set of Kumhos and they are wearing on the inside badly. I was told it was a toe problem. I can't rotate because I have staggered tires.

Sponsored

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you're running directional tires (like the G-Force Comp-2), you can rotate side to side at least. You can rotate P-Zero's side to side on a staggered setup.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Ford cars and especially trucks are never in alignment specs from the factory. Over the years I’ve bought 9 new Ford’s and each one had to be aligned off the show room floor.

jac10327

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Perfomance Pack
Ford cars and especially trucks are never in alignment specs from the factory. Over the years I’ve bought 9 new Ford’s and each one had to be aligned off the show room floor.
I have to say of all the Mustangs that I've had and this is number 14, I've never had this many problems with tires/alignment.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I have to say of all the Mustangs that I've had and this is number 14, I've never had this many problems with tires/alignment.
Did you get a sheet showing your alignment? If so post it up? Also you want 0 toe, toe kills tires moreso than camber.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium Performance Pack
Same issue. I was running 32 PSI on the Pirellis at first, but it seems like that made them wear crazy fast, so I run 35 PSI now. Not sure if that's enough of a PSI difference to have an effect, but it seems like that slowed down the excessive wear. :handsinair:
Sponsored