Sponsored

Summer tires year around

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
Anyone in the northeast run the summer tires (PP) year around? I only drive a few miles a week and thinking maybe ok in the cold months? Thanks
Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Was thinking the same. In DC/VA/MD snow does come this way like how it does up north so i would think it would be okay... but i guess not?

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
The rubber becomes too hard and you will have problems.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn't have to snow. Im running Nitto summer tires atm and they start getting hard and lose traction below 60 degree's(spun the car really easy). Below freezing summer tires turn into hockey pucks and can crack or split. God help you if you get caught in a snow storm..you wont go anywhere if your lucky and parked or unlucky and driving. At the very least get some decent all seasons. Im putting Conti's on my stock PP wheels.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Was thinking the same. In DC/VA/MD snow does come this way like how it does up north so i would think it would be okay... but i guess not?
Don't do it...

Friend of mine came up from SC in Feb and turned his car around negotiating an on ramp. No ice or snow, just cold.... He is not a fast driver either....no grip.

Luckily no other cars around and stayed in road, so it ended up being a "cool non-story"....

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Last fall I drove mine on the P Zeros one day when the temps were in the 20s. I went around a corner at about 10 mph and felt the front tires sliding. Needless to say I mounted up the winter tires when I got home.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
Don't do it...

Friend of mine came up from SC in Feb and turned his car around negotiating an on ramp. No ice or snow, just cold.... He is not a fast driver either....no grip.

Luckily no other cars around and stayed in road, so it ended up being a "cool non-story"....
Couldn't agree more. Change them out if you plan to drive in temperatures below 50 degrees.

It is not worth taking the risk of you getting injured or causing others to be injured, period.

RJ

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I've run the Mich PR4 down into sub-freezing. Don't recommend it as they do slip a bit but otherwise still work - on clean, dry or wet roads. I was trying to leave work a few weeks ago when we got 3-4" in Sterling and there was but 1/2" down (left at 1pm) and it was quite disconcerting trying to get out of the parking lot. The front was plowing this way and that, I had basically no steering authority and the rears were going sideways. Mercifully the main roads were just wet so I made it home without further incident.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I'm on the west coast and only have summer tires. Even here during the winter months, it's can be in the mid 40s at night but my sumitomos seem to do fine.

Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in Northern VA and I bought my 2019 GT back at the end of October and still use the stock Michelin tires Pilot Sport 4S. Yes, they spin easier but keep it in Normal Mode and don't drive crazy and they have been fine. I take the Corolla to work when the roads are shit.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
I drove mine all winter on the stock pp1 tires. Its not ideal. But if you use the snow/wet mode its pretty tame.
Sponsored