Sponsored

Popping sound on acceleration

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
For the last 10,000 miles or so, I have been experiencing a single pop or clinking sound specifically on hard accelerations from a standstill (particularly after a hard acceleration and then a hard stop) as well as on right turns. I am reasonably sure this is coming from the passenger rear suspension, but I cannot hear it if the windows are up.

I have replaced the wheel hub/bearing on the passenger rear and verified that the others are tight and don't have any play. This sound has persisted through the install of new springs (BMR SP763) and Steeda shock mounts. I also have the BMR CB005 lockouts, but I cannot remember if the noise was present before the install of these. The 13 and 21mm bolts are tight, in any case.

I have verified multiple times that all of the suspension bolts (toe links, sway bar end links, LCA bolts, spindle nuts, etc) are tight on both sides. The bushings were clocked when the springs and wheel bearing was replaced. I had the car aligned today (because of the spring install) and the noise continues. If I take off gracefully from a stop, there's no noise, but if I get on it at all from a stop, there is a very noticeable metallic popping sound that is getting seriously annoying. Any ideas?

Thanks guys
Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
i get a click sound when taking off and when i back up not a loud click but still a click.. i cant figure out were either .. i checked all the axle nuts. re torqued all the bolts when i installed my springs.. someone posted that torsen diff do that.. im gunna dig deeper this spring

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I would recommend trying removing the CB005 to see if you still have the sound.

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The trunk is cleaned out and the air pump thing is secure in its styrofoam holder. I don't get any noise from the diff at the times when people typically report it (ie, backing out of your garage in the morning), but if that's the issue then it may speed my migration to a 3.31 setup. I think removing the CB005 would be a good diagnostic step because that's the only aftermarket part that I can't verify was put in after the noise started.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I'd jack up the rear - remove the rear wheels and check the torque on the rear axle nuts. It's been posted here a bunch.

Me personally - when I swapped out the OEM 3.15 gears in my '17 to a 3.55 pumpkin, one of the axle nuts was NOWHERE near the factory torque setting. And my car had 2K miles on it.

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're both tight and the wheels have no play in them.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Check all rear subframe bolts/front mounts?

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered new 21 and 13 mm subframe bolts today and will be pulling the cb005 off. If that fixes it, I’ll probably get the Steeda subframe lockout kit to replace the cb005.

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the new bolts and removed the cb005 last night. I’m probably the only person to ever remove that part, and for good reason; the stock setup is amazingly flimsy. I also noticed that the right rear brake dust shield was slightly bent and the back of the rotor looked more marred than the left rear setup. The sound of the shield hitting the rotor does kind of sound like what I was hearing, but I don’t know how the shield could bend like that during driving. In any case, I’ll give it a spin this evening and see how it goes.

Sponsored

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I removed mine because of the same kind of noise. It might have been that I didn't install it correctly. I think it's because the cup was preventing the teeth on the subframe bushing from being torqued to the chassis so it would move just enough to creak on acceleration. I haven't heard of many others having issues with the CB005 so I'll just chalk it up to an incorrect install so that I don't trigger anyone. I've had good luck with BMR stuff in the past.

I replaced it with Steeda subframe braces and haven't heard a sound since.

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting... I noticed the teeth when I pulled the cups off and I could see how having that extra piece of metal in there could introduce some noise from it sliding around.

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The noise persists... I’m running out of ideas.

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll need to borrow a GoPro that I can stick to the outside of the car, but yes I can do that.
Sponsored