Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
How are you liking the magneride so far?
:)

So far only perceived ride stiffness and "control" on smooth and moderately bumpy roads. In "normal" I would say ride and bump control is comparable to full soft SA Konis but remember the tires are different and "ride" is extremely subjective. I think in the limited comparisons that I can feel some ride and "bump control" differences between normal, sport+, and track but I haven't had the opportunity to do any real comparison. Plus I've never been any good at shock evaluation. We have snow coming so it will be at least until next week before I can do some "on the back roads" dynamic nose dive under braking and lift under acceleration subjective comparisons. Lateral transition comparisons will be extremely difficult to do on public roads.

For anyone who experienced the "squat/lift" of the 2015 PP rear shocks when accelerating and shifting that Koni's eliminated I can say that at least with the automatic that problem doesn't exist with MagneRide, even in "normal" mode.
Sponsored

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the 2018 auto PP. we had a brand new driver with one out at our inaugural autocross this past weekend his first time ever and he was able to get within 4 seconds of me on a technical 50ish second course. His gearing on this particular course was a lot better than my 2016 M6 but the platform in stock form was very impressive. If he sticks around I’m going to have competition this season.

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
:)

So far only perceived ride stiffness and "control" on smooth and moderately bumpy roads. In "normal" I would say ride and bump control is comparable to full soft SA Konis but remember the tires are different and "ride" is extremely subjective. I think in the limited comparisons that I can feel some ride and "bump control" differences between normal, sport+, and track but I haven't had the opportunity to do any real comparison. Plus I've never been any good at shock evaluation. We have snow coming so it will be at least until next week before I can do some "on the back roads" dynamic nose dive under braking and lift under acceleration subjective comparisons. Lateral transition comparisons will be extremely difficult to do on public roads.

For anyone who experienced the "squat/lift" of the 2015 PP rear shocks when accelerating and shifting that Koni's eliminated I can say that at least with the automatic that problem doesn't exist with MagneRide, even in "normal" mode.
I can't compare apples to apples, but my ATS with magneride was stiffer in sport mode than my 2018 Mustang with Konis, both on 35-series Bridgestones.

Also, Dick, finished up alignment over the weekend and got to -2.1. Not as good as my 2015's -2.7 but about what I expected with the 1mm allowance.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't compare apples to apples, but my ATS with magneride was stiffer in sport mode than my 2018 Mustang with Konis, both on 35-series Bridgestones.

Also, Dick, finished up alignment over the weekend and got to -2.1. Not as good as my 2015's -2.7 but about what I expected with the 1mm allowance.
Thanks Des.

I'm impressed by your camber since I couldn't get that much on my 15 GT with Konis using the "legal for 2015's" 2 mm slots. Did you loosen and "pry" anything other than the two strut to knuckle bolts? I've got to decide whether to slot the MagneRide struts the currently allowed 1 mm.

A quick measurement tonight on a "not level" surface shows -2 F&R on the "up hill" side and -1 F&R on the "down hill" side. At the first opportunity I'll try again with leveling shims.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
FWIW I think I'm around -1.8 to -2 on my GT350, not sure it's even side to side, but whatever I can't really do anything about it.

The MagneRide is SOOOO much better than the trashy shocks on the Focus RS... Rides pretty darn well in Normal, gets pretty stiff as soon as I put it in Sport and pretty much unusable in Track. Oddly, Track still feels great for autocross most places. Sport shock setting puts down power better but feels slower in transition (I hope the new bar fixes that) and sport handles bigger bumps a lot better. I wonder how much stiffer the damping is on the GT350 vs the '18 PP?

Sponsored

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
Thanks Des.

I'm impressed by your camber since I couldn't get that much on my 15 GT with Konis using the "legal for 2015's" 2 mm slots. Did you loosen and "pry" anything other than the two strut to knuckle bolts? I've got to decide whether to slot the MagneRide struts the currently allowed 1 mm.

A quick measurement tonight on a "not level" surface shows -2 F&R on the "up hill" side and -1 F&R on the "down hill" side. At the first opportunity I'll try again with leveling shims.
Now that I go back and check, I see they evened me out up front at -2 (with me in car). In addition to new service bolts and 1mm slotting, we loosened and leaned ... hard. Most I could get off factory bolts, no slotting was -1.5. Not sure how much variance there is car to car? My 15 could have gone even more but at a certain point i was worried about clearance.

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
There is a a service procedure for the 18 already for camber? I hadn't seen that yet

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a a service procedure for the 18 already for camber? I hadn't seen that yet
The online version is available and is dated 4/11/17. It shows the 1mm slotting from the past couple of years. The CD version hasn't been released yet per Helminc.com.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW I think I'm around -1.8 to -2 on my GT350, not sure it's even side to side, but whatever I can't really do anything about it.

The MagneRide is SOOOO much better than the trashy shocks on the Focus RS... Rides pretty darn well in Normal, gets pretty stiff as soon as I put it in Sport and pretty much unusable in Track. Oddly, Track still feels great for autocross most places. Sport shock setting puts down power better but feels slower in transition (I hope the new bar fixes that) and sport handles bigger bumps a lot better. I wonder how much stiffer the damping is on the GT350 vs the '18 PP?
I haven't compared much so far but the ride doesn't seem to get obnoxious in Track. Far too soon for me to make any worthwhile observations on handling or even power down, especially since the temps were in the 30's.

Or course, your spring rates are much stiffer also so "smooth track control" probably needs more damping . . . if I understand this stuff at all. Also given the engine characteristics and the revs you may be running putting power down in anything other than a straight line is going to be a challenge. :D

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I haven't compared much so far but the ride doesn't seem to get obnoxious in Track. Far too soon for me to make any worthwhile observations on handling or even power down, especially since the temps were in the 30's.

Or course, your spring rates are much stiffer also so "smooth track control" probably needs more damping . . . if I understand this stuff at all. Also given the engine characteristics and the revs you may be running putting power down in anything other than a straight line is going to be a challenge. :D
I'll have to find a dyno chart from an '18 that doesn't abruptly end on the speed limiter and add it to my thrust chart. I'd be shocked if you aren't putting more power down to the ground.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are a couple from video's, etc.

CJPP stock and tuned

[/url][/IMG]

Lund stock

[/url][/IMG]

For comparison between 15 and 18 here is one with the limiter. CJPP

[/url][/IMG]

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
The online version is available and is dated 4/11/17. It shows the 1mm slotting from the past couple of years. The CD version hasn't been released yet per Helminc.com.
are you using a different service bolt too?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
are you using a different service bolt too?
I haven't done my 18 but I did use the service bolt with the Koni's on my 15. Des said he used the service bolt on his EB 18. After the snow melts in a few days I'll do a bubble gauge camber measurement on my as delivered 18 on a level (with shims) surface.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

interesting...

The A10 is going to be tough to put power down in 2nd for autocross use, but when you can... hold on!

also, man the '18 has more power but the longer gears hurt its acceleration a good amount. No wonder why it felt "lazy" in initial reviews.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
that chart may end up costing me a lot of money.
Sponsored