Sponsored

Anyone else get rattle from Steeda billet shock mount?

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Great intel gathered in this thread, thanks. I just ordered a 21mm tool as well.

Can anyone throw up a list of "non-standard" tools needed for shocks, springs, etc?.
A BAMS tool is good to have as well to remove the rear springs:

Click here for a fine example of a “Big A$$ Metal Stick”

I’m only half-joking on this. A BAMS is good to have along with a buddy to pull down the subframe while you poke at the rear spring.
Sponsored

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So the creak I'm hearing is not the shocks or mounts. I put the stock ones back on and it's still there. Steeda is kind enough to keep working with me to figure out what's causing it. I re-torqued the 4 subframe bolts as well as the clamps on my corsa exhaust, still there. I have BMR springs and I've had no problem with those for the year they've been on. I'm going to try torqueing the axle nuts but I'm wondering if there's something going on with my BMR cradle lockout. That's the only other thing it could be because I don't have any other mods back there.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Is the rear spring seated correctly? Do you have the washer (probably the wrong term but only thing I can think of atm) for the CB005 facing the right direction?

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I verified that the axle nut is torqued. The spring is seated correctly, I just checked it. I retorqued all the bolts associated with the CB005. I just had someone else drive the car while I had the rear seats down with my head in the trunk. I can't be totally sure but it sounds like it's coming from the shock mount area. It can't be the Steeda mounts because the creak was still there when I tried putting the stock PP shocks back on. It does it when accelerating after braking, when the weight shifts back. I don't know what I'm missing. I could just be a moron but I really don't think I am... lol

Nagare, I'm not sure what part you mean that needs to face the right direction.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I verified that the axle nut is torqued. The spring is seated correctly, I just checked it. I retorqued all the bolts associated with the CB005. I just had someone else drive the car while I had the rear seats down with my head in the trunk. I can't be totally sure but it sounds like it's coming from the shock mount area. It can't be the Steeda mounts because the creak was still there when I tried putting the stock PP shocks back on. It does it when accelerating after braking, when the weight shifts back. I don't know what I'm missing. I could just be a moron but I really don't think I am... lol

Nagare, I'm not sure what part you mean that needs to face the right direction.
Do you have aftermarket vertical links? Can you take a picture of your shock/subframe area that shows the CB005 and the shocks?

Sponsored

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The vertical links are stock. I'll take a picture in a little while. I need a rest after all that troubleshooting. My arms are jello. :)

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Here are some pictures. Let me know if you want to see anything specific. I verified that the vertical links are tight. I'm just totally stumped.
20171208_110417.jpg
20171208_110427.jpg
20171208_110505.jpg
20171208_110521.jpg
20171208_112219.jpg

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Triple-check that each rear-spring bottom isolator is properly positioned. Each isolator has only 1 correct way to sit, and although you may have the springs seated properly in the isolators, the bottom isolator itself may not be positioned in its groove (or be bent upon itself/folded over). This issue can 100% cause creeking.

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I just checked the spring isolator and it looks to be center and seated correctly. I put a jack under the control arm and made sure as the suspension compressed that the spring stays seated. No sound when I did that.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked the spring isolator and it looks to be center and seated correctly. I put a jack under the control arm and made sure as the suspension compressed that the spring stays seated. No sound when I did that.
It may be the angle of the picture, but the front arm and lower spacer of the CB005 doesn't seem to be seated correctly. Did the bolts thread in several turns by hand?

The next thing I would check is control arm bushing (front of the arm, inner point). You may need to clock all of your bushings, including your camber link ones.

Sponsored

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It has been a year since installing it but I think I remember it threading by hand for a few turns. I'll try all you suggested and report back. If that doesn't work I will remove the CB005 and see if it still makes noise. It may be a couple days before I get to try it but I'll let you know. Thanks!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It has been a year since installing it but I think I remember it threading by hand for a few turns. I'll try all you suggested and report back. If that doesn't work I will remove the CB005 and see if it still makes noise. It may be a couple days before I get to try it but I'll let you know. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure it's not the CB005 itself making noise.

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Ok it's going to be hell clocking and torqueing those bolts without a drive on lift. After looking at it I came inside and saw the thread BMR made about this. I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on for this one.

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Having just installed my CB005 last night there does seem to be a bigger gap between the lower spacer and the cradle on yours vs mine. Looks like a flap of rubber sticking out also.
7027E8C8-66A0-488E-ABD1-B55D02ADC5CD.jpeg

Last edited: