Sponsored

Buying at one dealership, servicing at another. What should I expect?

jasonc0604

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Focus SE "Slocus"
So after a 16-month hiatus from being a Mustang owner I am currently looking to take advantage of the current rebates to trade my 2016 Focus SE ("lovingly" named the Slocus) into a 2017 Grabber Blue base GT. Right now, none of the local dealers here in west Texas have any discounts beyond the $2000 off MSRP (and my BiL is the GSM at one of the dealerships and won't budge). Looking in the DFW area, I can easily get an additional $4K off the MSRP and that will wipe away my negative equity on the Slocus. My question is if I buy from another dealer and have the vehicle serviced at one of the local dealers should I expect to get treated differently than if I had purchased my car there?
Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Good service?

Did that with my last car (Taurus SHO) and my regular dealer was just fine with it. They make more money off service than sales (usually) so why would they treat you badly?

Warranty work from Ford - does not matter what dealer does it, Ford will pay.

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Doesn't matter where you bought the car from. All just depends on the shop. I don't bring my car to service where I brought it from because they suck.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I'd log into cargurus.com and autotrader.com and start shopping. I found a deal a couple hour drive away for -$5000 better then my local dealerships were willing to go.

Don't pay $4000 more for the "possibility" of better service. Warranty work is warranty work.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
Don't know how familiar you are with DFW area dealerships, but if you aren't looking to go to an Autonation, I recommend Westway Ford in Irving. I got my car there basically at sticker because it was the end of the month, Ford was pushing some $1,000 incentive for November, as well as their $500 student/recent graduate incentive. I probably could have gotten it cheaper had I been more firm, but I figured the price they were giving me was fair and I wouldn't find a better deal elsewhere, especially because it was the exact car I wanted. They treated me respectfully, and while the finance department took FOREVER because it was the end of the day, overall I can say my experience there was good.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jasonc0604

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Focus SE "Slocus"
Don't know how familiar you are with DFW area dealerships, but if you aren't looking to go to an Autonation, I recommend Westway Ford in Irving. I got my car there basically at sticker because it was the end of the month, Ford was pushing some $1,000 incentive for November, as well as their $500 student/recent graduate incentive. I probably could have gotten it cheaper had I been more firm, but I figured the price they were giving me was fair and I wouldn't find a better deal elsewhere, especially because it was the exact car I wanted. They treated me respectfully, and while the finance department took FOREVER because it was the end of the day, overall I can say my experience there was good.
Westway has a base Grabber Blue GT with 3.55s that I wouldn't mind having so they are on my list of dealers to contact. Town East Ford has a GB base with Performance Package I am trying to work a deal on now.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
Westway has a base Grabber Blue GT with 3.55s that I wouldn't mind having so they are on my list of dealers to contact. Town East Ford has a GB base with Performance Package I am trying to work a deal on now.
Target the PP as your primary, because you can't get all the goodies that come with it in the aftermarket for anywhere near the same price as if you just got a factory PP car. You can probably talk them down even more than the 31K that they want by mentioning the 2018 refresh and the base car at Westway.

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Bought my car in the Middle of Nowhere, FL because it was the only dealer that had the exact car I wanted. I've had service and warranty work done on mine at two different local dealers, one was a Ford/Lincoln dealer and the other was just a Lincoln dealer.

Never had any issues with them treating me different because I bought my car elsewhere. In fact, everyone was extremely accommodating and friendly both times, especially at the Lincoln dealership.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
The days of poor service because you did not buy the car from them is gone. Dealers need good ratings, so they will tend to give you the best service they can to get that rating. I think if you have a questionable claim, the selling dealing maybe more willing to help you, then a dealer that you did not buy the car from.

Boss Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C43C
You should not expect any less service. I would find the best deal and than I would service with the one most convenient to me, unless they give me a reason not too. You should have quite a few options in the dfw metroplex.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I will voice one potential issue. Do you live in a small town? It shouldn't matter, but I live in a small town with exactly two dealers (one Ford, one Toyota). Nearest other Ford/Toyota dealers are about 80 miles away. Both the dealers in town have been known to show a little attitude to people who bought out of town, since they know you did it intentionally and were willing to drive a three hour round trip just to avoid their business. Since the local dealers don't have great inventory and tend to have poor pricing, a lot of people do go out of town. I know people who have had to go to corporate to get the local dealers to do what they are supposed to do. So, while it shouldn't matter it really depends on your particular dealer.

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
no problems here. the dealership i go to has a great service dept, but their sales... not so much (at least for me unfortunately), so i end up buying from other places, but keep coming back to this one for work. i'm on my 2nd mustang now and i've been going back for nearly a decade now and i'm not alone from looking at the dealer stickers on the vehicles in the service lot. the service department is never biased, they do good work, and they would never turn down business.

Last edited:

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
I will voice one potential issue. Do you live in a small town? It shouldn't matter, but I live in a small town with exactly two dealers (one Ford, one Toyota). Nearest other Ford/Toyota dealers are about 80 miles away. Both the dealers in town have been known to show a little attitude to people who bought out of town, since they know you did it intentionally and were willing to drive a three hour round trip just to avoid their business. Since the local dealers don't have great inventory and tend to have poor pricing, a lot of people do go out of town. I know people who have had to go to corporate to get the local dealers to do what they are supposed to do. So, while it shouldn't matter it really depends on your particular dealer.
well why not buy local if indeed this small town one dealer thing is an issue? tell them what the other guy is offering and ask them to match it. if they say then tell them you will see them in 5000 miles for the first oil change.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I bought my first Mustang about 100 miles away from me and found local dealer that does wonderful work and is very thorough. Not all dealerships are bad. It first starts with YOUR attitude towards them. They're human beings to...usually. :p

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Any Dealer will want your business
Sponsored