SYNC 3 swap, It's all in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
Thanks to this thread I did the swap on my car from sync 2/MFT w/nav to sync 3 non-nav. I built my own adapter harness for the USB hub from the parts listed in the first post. I also swapped the MFT brackets to the sync 3 APIM with a T8 torx bit driver from lowes.

My Sync 3 APIM and screen came from a '16 ford escape loaded with Ver 2.2 Build 17011. After installing it worked except for the hvac and heated/cooled seats without programming the as-built data. Once I went into Forscan there were all kinds of body codes from the mismatched escape programmed APIM. I went through and programmed the APIM with the as-built data from a '17 with like options from Spart's database thread. I then went and changed the theme to the ford performance GT and the GT splash screen as well. I noticed there were a couple differences in the ACM as-built also so I changed those to match the '17 data. ACM is Sirus/non-HD that came with my car.

I played around with Android Auto and google maps a little. Google maps is WAY BETTER than the Sync 2 nav! I may eventually swap to the '18 digital dash, one of the only features of the '18 I like besides the 10 speed auto.

Now the only thing I have to worry about is updating sync 3 when the ver 3.0 comes out and I can get ahold on a non-nav version. I do have the VIN's from the 2 possible 16 escapes the APIM came from. I don't think there is an available 2.3 update for the non-nav units.

Thanks again to all that have contributed to this thread!:cheers:
Sponsored

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Now the only thing I have to worry about is updating sync 3 when the ver 3.0 comes out and I can get ahold on a non-nav version. I do have the VIN's from the 2 possible 16 escapes the APIM came from. I don't think there is an available 2.3 update for the non-nav units:
I updated my non-NAV to v2.3 almost a month ago using the MyFord.com method.

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
I updated my non-NAV to v2.3 almost a month ago using the MyFord.com method.
I went in to the owner.ford.com website and it shows v2.3 update available for the APIM I put in my car. In the process of downloading it now thanks! Hopefully it will install correctly on the non-nav APIM.

Should I perform the step 4 of confirming the update to the Ford website?

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I went in to the owner.ford.com website and it shows v2.3 update available for the APIM I put in my car. In the process of downloading it now thanks! Hopefully it will install correctly on the non-nav APIM.

Should I perform the step 4 of confirming the update to the Ford website?
You can but it’s a little more entailed. You have to edit the code in the .xml to change the VIN

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
Scored well yesterday. Sync 3 screen + the matching APIM from a wrecked 2017 Edge for $200 shipped. Salvage yard even gave me a picture of the door tag which shows the VIN.

Sponsored

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Scored well yesterday. Sync 3 screen + the matching APIM from a wrecked 2017 Edge for $200 shipped. Salvage yard even gave me a picture of the door tag which shows the VIN.

Damn! That's a great deal. I scored mine with NAV for $438 (shipped) from a totaled 2017 Mustang.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
2) I have the VIN for the car this APIM came out of, is there any way to get Sirius travel link to work?
Can you read your ACM as built data and tell me what you have here?

727-04-01 xXxx

Sherrodmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
If anybody has any leads on where I could find a decent price APIM with or without nav to do base swap in my 17... would be awesome!

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Got a good deal on an APIM/Screen combo (thanks [MENTION=23177]5pointOh[/MENTION]), but it has a small scratch in the upper right corner. I had hoped it might just be a scuff that could be rubbed out, but it's definitely into the plastic. So, I'm looking for options to repair or replace it.

I'm doubting there are many effective repair options, so would it be possible to replace just the top layer of the screen? It appears to be held in by the frame that screws to the side of the screen. I plan to take it apart later to see if it will come out once this frame is removed. If so, I think I might be able to scavenge a top layer from an old MFT screen or something.

If you have any ideas, please let me know.
IMG_2291.jpg

Sponsored

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
How does one tell the difference between nav and non-nav APIMs?

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
How does one tell the difference between nav and non-nav APIMs?
VIN number or chance. The only way to tell for sure would be for everyone with Sync 3 to PM the engineering number on the back of the APIM and we could have a definitive database.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I've got the VIN and looked it up on Ford ETIS, but it doesn't state whether it's NAV or not. Is there a better place to look?

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Got a good deal on an APIM/Screen combo (thanks [MENTION=23177]5pointOh[/MENTION]), but it has a small scratch in the upper right corner. I had hoped it might just be a scuff that could be rubbed out, but it's definitely into the plastic. So, I'm looking for options to repair or replace it.

I'm doubting there are many effective repair options, so would it be possible to replace just the top layer of the screen? It appears to be held in by the frame that screws to the side of the screen. I plan to take it apart later to see if it will come out once this frame is removed. If so, I think I might be able to scavenge a top layer from an old MFT screen or something.

If you have any ideas, please let me know.
Google United Radio in East Syracuse. UR is the actual supplier to Ford for the APIM, ACM, the bezel. They are also the premier place to have gear repaired. They saved several of my collection of vintage HUs over the years.
Sponsored

Reactions: MAV
Status
Not open for further replies.