Sponsored

Do your neighbors complain about your exhaust?

HectorC978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Deep Impact Blue GT PP
My neighbors started calling my car names. The elderly neighbor to my left calls it the "noise maker" I couldn't help myself but laugh the first time he called it that to my face. We have talked about him having motorcycles back in his days so he somewhat gets it. Then there is the neighbor across the street who calls it "el dragon" (the dragon). He loves it. Seems like I have lucked out so far. Sometimes I feel bad when I have to cold start at 6am with the Corsa Extremes, but that's just for cars and coffee maybe twice a month. Other than that I dont daily drive my car so they only have to put up with it for a few minutes during the weekend usually after 9am. I try and not drive like an asshole in my neighborhood so if anyone would ever complain Ill probably ignore them and go about my day.
Sponsored

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
As I back in my louder than shit rumbling 95 Cobra, every so often I might leave the window to my garage open so it funnels the noise to my neighbor. The window is 5 feet off my back fence line and points directly into the living room/bedroom of my neighbor which is 5 feet on the other side of the fence.

Hopefully their whole house shakes the once every 6 months or so I do this.

/edit

There are some details I included but edited out to save a long winded post.

Why do this? To remind them that I could be more of an asshole to thank them for the MONTHS that I lost sleep due to their pile of shit barking dog.

There are also the louder than shit nights they come home from the bar and are out in their yard til 2am.

Weedwhacker at sun up running it against the fence line right outside their bedroom is sure to help their hang overs.

I have a decent relationship with the neighbors on my street. The exhaust hasnt gotten a complaint from them. But street behind me probably hates my guts due the woman behind me not helping the cause because somebody complained on her stupid dog.

Last edited:

CRUM178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT
Well I left my apartment for work this morning, and someone left a note about my exhaust waking their family. I only have the AWE Touring cat-back, nothing crazy loud.

The note asked me to "park somewhere else". Lol, not sure how far away is suitable for them with that vague request. I just hope it doesn't resort to vandalism.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Well I left my apartment for work this morning, and someone left a note about my exhaust waking their family. I only have the AWE Touring cat-back, nothing crazy loud.

The note asked me to "park somewhere else". Lol, not sure how far away is suitable for them with that vague request. I just hope it doesn't resort to vandalism.
Apartments buildings are difficult as it increases the volume of people in a concentrated area.
I know that active exhausts are gaining traction, but with technology being what it is I am shocked they have not developed this sooner.
I have the Corsa Sport which is a pretty mild exhaust except at WOT, but my cold starts are very loud (close to extreme I imagine). I am waiting for Corsa to develop an active exhaust for the 2015-17 lineup. I called them a while back and they were working on the 2018 iteration and said they had plans for the older versions. Roush has had one for a while. I would think AWE would be developing one as well.
You may have to be proactive and ask around as to who put the note on your car.. maybe you can discuss it with them and then park strategically. If they see that you are understanding and trying to make an effort it will ease the worry of someone doing something stupid to your vehicle....

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
So I live on a private college campus, and a couple months ago, about 12:45 AM, I was driving through campus past my, at the time, girlfriend's dorm. I put it in first and took off, because she always loved the sound of me going past her dorm. Note, I never exceeded 30 mph; however, campus speed limit is 15, so I fully admit to speeding. Next thing I know, campus security, who had 20+ people sitting on the lawn literally leaves all 20 of those kids alone, jumps in their car and starts following me. It was dark out, and I honestly thought it was the cops, and not wanting to cause any trouble, I pull over. Two security officers jump out of their car and start accusing me of "doing at least 60, if not 70" through campus. I politely explain that if my car was doing 60-70, my suspension would be obliterated from going over the double speed bumps that are on campus. I told the officer I was doing 30, and was slowing down for the speed bump, to which the second officer chimes in "Don't fucking lie to me, we heard your car before you even turned onto the street. Don't pretend like you were only doing 30." After about 45 minutes of back and forth, I said "Okay, I'm done with this. I'll send in a video appeal." Sent in a quick 30 second clip of myself starting the car and driving to 30mph and the board of conduct dismissed the entire ticket lol.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Someone else does the same thing or does something worse is no excuse for doing something that might bother others. I'm advocating considering the other people in the apartment and neighborhood. Some have young kids, some have very different schedules than yours, etc.

I'm lucky because I have no close neighbors and the two that are within 200 yards - one is getting home from work about the time I leave and the other leaves for work the same time I do. My car starts in quiet mode, but I still often leave the garage door closed during cold start ups to reduce that initial blast of noise.

I'm not saying I'm always a great guy, but when there are small things that can be done to get along I do them.

There's a neighbor maybe 1/2 mile from my house that complained to me a couple months ago - I often used to have the exhaust in sport mode in the afternoon on my way home. I think he's being a douche, but I still started using quiet mode in the neighborhood. I personally think my car sounds great, but if one person complains there are probably a few others that are annoyed but don't say anything.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Most people who have a loud exhaust, have no idea how their car sound outside of the cabin. Nor do they care. They mostly only care how it sounds to them (inside the cabin while THEY are driving).

There are ways to have a quiet exhaust and still have the tone you want. But why care about others when you can worry about yourself..!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I start my car with the garage door closed and it's quiet after about 5 seconds due to my tune. Haven't had one complaint yet.

Sponsored

Driversedge18

SPIRIT OF AMERICA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ECOBOOST PREMIUM
Vehicle Showcase
No problem with those next door. An advantage with the I4. :cheers:

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I live in an apartment complex and the parking are is 20 feet from the buildings. I use quiet start (usually around 8am is when I leave for work) and have not had a single complaint. Love having quiet mode and I hope Ford continues offering this as an option if not as standard.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
After 10 PM and before 7 AM I start the car with the garage closed. Otherwise it's not loud enough at any point to annoy people unless I'm accelerating hard (which I don't do in my neighborhood). I usually leave for work between 7:30-7:45 so it's a non issue.
[MENTION=24573]Lorne34[/MENTION] the Xtreme is much louder at cold start, despite ours being pretty darn loud.

Phenom5.0

5.2 ^^^
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Metallic
I leave at 5:30 in the morning so the stock exhaust on the Shelby probably is a bit loud. However my son sleeps in the front bedroom to the street and he hasn't woken yet so that's my gage on the loudness lol.

I wish mine had quiet mode too but oh well. If I eliminate the resonators then it may be too loud.

UglyMutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
All these negative comments are a big reason why I went with a more mild exhaust on this car (Corsa Sport CB). My old mustang was LOUD and I was sick of it. Hard to talk over, hard to hear any other issue with the car, unwanted attention from the cops was enough although I never had issues with individuals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to live my life by any will other than my own and I wouldn't stop doing what I want just to please others but there is a limit to the BS I want in my life.

There's a big difference between a loud exhaust and a nice sounding exhaust. It doesn't need to be blaring loud to sound good and just because its loud doesn't make it "good".
Sponsored