Matty77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Fastback now sold, 2019 GT Fastback
Hi Guys
Long term lurker here for about the past 3 and a bit years but I finally thought I should join......

Anyway, my 2015 Ecoboost has started to rust along the leading edge of the bonnet above the headlight. There is no stonechip damage so it's bubbling up from behind the paint. Can't be right for a 2 and a half year old car surely???
Apologies for the blurry picture, my phone camera has seen better days!

Has anyone else had an issue / fix to this?
Bonnet Rust 7-18.jpg
Sponsored

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys
Long term lurker here for about the past 3 and a bit years but I finally thought I should join......

Anyway, my 2015 Ecoboost has started to rust along the leading edge of the bonnet above the headlight. There is no stonechip damage so it's bubbling up from behind the paint. Can't be right for a 2 and a half year old car surely???
Apologies for the blurry picture, my phone camera has seen better days!

Has anyone else had an issue / fix to this?
Get that in front of your dealer - immediately!! do not pass go...:D

That isnt right - Dealer should fix- how long is the paint warranty on these?

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thought the bonnet was aluminium?

AwesomePawsum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2017 GT prenium sport
Thought the bonnet was aluminium?
Aluminium do oxyde, just not in the same way as metal rust.

It rarely make an hole into the aluminium sheet but it will cause the paint to bubble up.

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
Wasn't this a problem with S197's with the aluminium hood? Something to do with dissimilar metals, the build up of charge and electrical earthing?

Sponsored

rreyna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP
Few people in our local group have had this issue and dealer replaced hood. I have it myself and need to take mine in.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Common problem in US. Dealer to dealer about actually getting it successfully warrantied but it is a DEFECT not from wear and tear/exposure.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Is there any tiny chips anywhere in that area? If so then I’d imagine they won’t cover it under warranty as it’s damage that’s caused moisture and oxygen to get to the aluminium and cause it to corrode. I’m going off my 17 years experience in a Ford Bodyshop and if there’s a chip or any paint damage which is very likely on the leading edge of a bonnet then they will politely say no to repairing it under warranty.

OP
OP
Matty77

Matty77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Fastback now sold, 2019 GT Fastback
Is there any tiny chips anywhere in that area? If so then I’d imagine they won’t cover it under warranty as it’s damage that’s caused moisture and oxygen to get to the aluminium and cause it to corrode. I’m going off my 17 years experience in a Ford Bodyshop and if there’s a chip or any paint damage which is very likely on the leading edge of a bonnet then they will politely say no to repairing it under warranty.
Fortunately no damage or chips at all in that area. The little white bits on the blurry pic must be dust. Interesting to see it looks like a fairly common issue on the US threads.

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Ah well should be ok then, fingers crossed for a good paint match now if they do replace the bonnet!

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
You will be met with extreme resistance from Ford on this and i absolutely guarantee they will blame stone chips & deny your warrenty claim. I had exactly the same issue on my old 2015 Ecoboost ... ironicaly same colour as yours too but my rust was on the wheelarches. Ford said it was stone chip damage, took 6 weeks of arguing then an email to Andy Barratt before it was sorted out.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
just noticed mines starting to bubble over right headlight too so i'll be doing the ford dance next week if i get chance.
Sponsored