Sponsored

Brand new 2018 mustang GT A10 stalled?

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
As the title says. I started up my car to leave the office today, I was leaving the parking lot and coming up to a stop sign. So, I get off the throttle and begin to depress the brake, at this point the RPMs crashed to 0 and the engine shut off, leaving me coasting forward.

I still had accessory power, but a pop up on the digital dash read something like "shift into park to start". I stopped the car by that time, shifted into park and started the car up. It had no issues turning over and started back up. I am going to bring it to the dealership tomorrow, I don't want to risk it.

Here's some key facts:

1. Car has 2700 miles on it, bought brand new a month ago(I drive a lot)
2. I baby the car, no redlining or anything
3. It's an A10, as I have said
4. I was in Sport mode, like I usually am
5. No codes we're thrown
6. I was going about 17-18mph

Only thing I can guess was I pressed upshift at the same time the auto shifted by itself, which caused it to skip to 3rd gear, that combined with me laying off the throttle at the same time caused it to stall?

Still weird to me, I've had many types of DSG and autos and haven't had that happen. Any ideas?
Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Interesting. Good detail on the post! Thanks!

Was this your first paddle input after shifting to S?

I have noticed a couple odd ball shifts in the 10R80 in fringe situations especially when providing paddle input.
The best description I have (coming from a hardware level crappy coder):
It appears the state machine logic implementing the shift strategy *could maybe have one more layer of timing compensation in cases where the state machine could be dumped and jump to a new “ambiguous transient detected” state machine that implements a second strategy in cases of ambiguous input, double taps, or state machine arbitrage.
That would be a fun and challenging code base to work on.
Lol, somewhere a transmission engineer (or two or three) is reading this thinking Im crazy.
I am sure it is very challenging to architect shift strategy with temporal constraints and mechanical latency.
If Ford needs “beta” testers willing to log data every drive and make changes up to swapping trans and motor: PM me?

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it was the first paddle input. I do notice in the first 3 gears, that if I don't 'prime' my first shift(thus putting it in manual mode) immediately after shifting from reverse to S that it will except my paddle input, as well as the input from the computer, causing it to shift from 1st to 3rd rapidly.

I don't know for sure what caused the stall, that's just the most plausible explanation. Still odd, will see what the dealer says if anything

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
That's weird, the torque converter should prevent the RPM from ever dropping too low. With that said, I wouldn't waste my time taking it to the shitty dealership as long as it doesn't occur again. They most likely won't be able to replicate the issue.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
There will most likely be TSB/Recall to update the programming so this can't happen...provided yours is not defective.

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The car had all TSB work done up to May 2018. Hopefully it's not that
Sponsored