OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I'm not one of those zero drone fanatics, but personally, flowmasters do not sound good with the Coyote engine. While Flowmasters sound great when paired with the 5.0L (302ci) and all varieties of the 4.6L (SOHC, DOHC, 2V, 3V, 4V), it produces a raspy tinge to the exhaust note throughout the RPM range with the Coyote and the note isn't full sounding. It has a very un-muscle car like sound IMO.
I had flowmasters on my '92 LX 5.0 back in the day. Sounded great. My 40 series delta flows with the H-pipe on my '15 sounds INCREDIBLE. I have no comprehension of "not sound good on Coyotes".
I get almost zero drone. My only beef is that they're a *little* louder than I prefer. I'm in my late 40s now :)

But it's not my DD, so I really don't mind it as much. But I'll probably get some Corsa Touring sooner or later to replace the flows.
Sponsored

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had flowmasters on my '92 LX 5.0 back in the day. Sounded great. My 40 series delta flows with the H-pipe on my '15 sounds INCREDIBLE. I have no comprehension of "not sound good on Coyotes".
I get almost zero drone. My only beef is that they're a *little* louder than I prefer. I'm in my late 40s now :)

But it's not my DD, so I really don't mind it as much. But I'll probably get some Corsa Touring sooner or later to replace the flows.
I'll give the disclaimer, I've never knowingly heard flowmasters on a Coyote in person so I'm just going off youtube videos. From the youtube videos I've heard, I wasn't impressed but it could be from the microphone not picking up the deepness of the exhaust note well.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I'll give the disclaimer, I've never knowingly heard flowmasters on a Coyote in person so I'm just going off youtube videos. From the youtube videos I've heard, I wasn't impressed but it could be from the microphone not picking up the deepness of the exhaust note well.
They have no rasp I can hear. In fact they remind me of the sound of my '92 5.0.

gt4urass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
I think a lot of the rasp is due to the muffler placement. This fella ran a traditional mid-mount setup, and while it's not the ideal, individual pipe/muffler setup, it's a mid-mount dual in/dual out single muffler setup that sounds pretty decent IMO. I think if someone could squeeze a traditional h pipe and dual flowmaster setup under there, it would sound pretty good even with the yote's wonky-ass flathead firing order.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. I took a 1hr freeway drive last night and then 1hr back with the gf. On the freeway I have zero drone at any speed. Exhaust sounds simply euphoric cruising at 75-80 in 6th at 2200-2400rpm. Not very loud. Perfect.

On side streets no drone. It’s just louder. For now I’ll keep it the way it is. To me it sounds incredible. And the cost of Corsa axle backs are a lot. I’d have to seriously not be happy with the Flowmasters to go that route.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jayme

DoggystyleRacing®
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Does anyone have a sound clip of the flowmaster 40/44 series with headers ?

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think a lot of the rasp is due to the muffler placement. This fella ran a traditional mid-mount setup, and while it's not the ideal, individual pipe/muffler setup, it's a mid-mount dual in/dual out single muffler setup that sounds pretty decent IMO. I think if someone could squeeze a traditional h pipe and dual flowmaster setup under there, it would sound pretty good even with the yote's wonky-ass flathead firing order.

[ame]

That does sound a lot better. You could fit two single chamber flowmasters along with an H-Pipe before the axle. I was able to fit an H-Pipe along with an electric cutout under there. The one chamber flowmaster is about the same size as the electric cutout.

$_103.jpg

Last edited:

carmas

Newb
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christina
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I have a couple of questions. I'm new to the mustang life so don't judge lol

1. what is drone?

2. I bought my stang with the flowmaster already on it from the previous owner. I have a lot of rasp from 1-3 gear. Once I hit 4th its fine. Almost sounds like something is loose and rattling....could that be the case of is it the type of exhaust?

I have a 2015 GT

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a couple of questions. I'm new to the mustang life so don't judge lol

1. what is drone?

2. I bought my stang with the flowmaster already on it from the previous owner. I have a lot of rasp from 1-3 gear. Once I hit 4th its fine. Almost sounds like something is loose and rattling....could that be the case of is it the type of exhaust?

I have a 2015 GT
Drone to me is like an overriding low base-like tone that is fairly loud that stays constant at a certain speed and sort of resonates. It can be annoying b/c it's a constant hum.

Something loose and rattling is not usually associated with drone. Go look under your car and check out your exhaust. You should be able to tell what you have by looking at mufflers and getting the serial numbers off them. You can also check if you have a resonator. Doesn't sound like you do.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
That's about as good of a description you'll find on drone ^

Sponsored

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think a lot of the rasp is due to the muffler . This fella ran a traditional mid-mount setup, and while it's not the ideal, individual pipe/muffler setup, it's a mid-mount dual in/dual out single muffler setup that sounds pretty decent IMO. I think if someone could squeeze a traditional h pipe and dual flowmaster setup under there, it would sound pretty good even with the yote's wonky-ass flathead firing order.

[ame]

Found a guy who did the equivalent with a 1 chamber dual in/dual out muffler in place of the stock resonator. 4 1/2 inch tips out back. Sounds much better than the Flowmaster videos I've heard with it mounted in the rear.

As you mentioned, the Flowmasters will sound even better if it's mid-mounted, installed behind an H-Pipe/X-Pipe.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Sorry to say for you Flowmaster guys (I've always had them on my trucks so I like them), but Flowmasters are literally the WORST muffler you can put on these S550s, both for performance and sound. There are waaaaaaay better options than Flowmaster for a performance car like a Mustang GT. Roush, Corsa, Borla... Besides, your Mustang will sound like a truck.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to say for you Flowmaster guys (I've always had them on my trucks so I like them), but Flowmasters are literally the WORST muffler you can put on these S550s, both for performance and sound. There are waaaaaaay better options than Flowmaster for a performance car like a Mustang GT. Roush, Corsa, Borla... Besides, your Mustang will sound like a truck.
Idk, mine came with them from previous owner along with mrt h pipe. Sounds mean as hell. Everyone who hears mine loves it too. I probably would have put Corsa touring axel back on if I was orig owner. But I’m fine with the 40 series Flows and the black pipes. Looks and sounds way better than stock.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Interesting. I took a 1hr freeway drive last night and then 1hr back with the gf. On the freeway I have zero drone at any speed. Exhaust sounds simply euphoric cruising at 75-80 in 6th at 2200-2400rpm. Not very loud. Perfect.

On side streets no drone. It’s just louder. For now I’ll keep it the way it is. To me it sounds incredible. And the cost of Corsa axle backs are a lot. I’d have to seriously not be happy with the Flowmasters to go that route.
With a Corsa system, at 75-80 mph in 6th the exhaust is almost silent. It’s only as loud as you want it to be when you press down on the throttle (the harder/longer you press, the louder it gets).

People scoff at the prices associated with a well-engineered exhaust….but for those that daily drive, they are well worth the price of admission.

And for anyone thinking about getting an axle back, I would strongly consider getting a full catback. You not only will remove the heavy resonator, but you will get a fully engineered exhaust as well…and maintain the ability to change out exhaust systems without cutting/welding.

Prices are much less if you go with vendors such as Beefcake. Food for thought.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
With a Corsa system, at 75-80 mph in 6th the exhaust is almost silent. It’s only as loud as you want it to be when you press down on the throttle (the harder/longer you press, the louder it gets).

People scoff at the prices associated with a well-engineered exhaust….but for those that daily drive, they are well worth the price of admission.

And for anyone thinking about getting an axle back, I would strongly consider getting a full catback. You not only will remove the heavy resonator, but you will get a fully engineered exhaust as well…and maintain the ability to change out exhaust systems without cutting/welding.

Prices are much less if you go with vendors such as Beefcake. Food for thought.
We know, Corsa is hand made and engineered by god himself.
Sponsored