Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Well, it all starts with a problem. For a while now many of the GT350R owners switching to aftermarket wheels found themselves dealing with the extended front studs protruding out much further than the rear studs. For the R It all stems from the pad used on the OEM Carbon Fiber wheel. The pad is much thicker up front and takes up the space from the extended stud. All aftermarket wheels use a thinner pad, so this is an issue for any R owner switching away from the OEM wheel. This also happens with GT350/S550 owners running extended front studs. When you swap to an aftermarket wheel, that stud requires you to run an open-ended lug nut. The end result is front and rear lug nuts that no longer sit at the same depth as OEM. For many it is aesthetically unappealing, and causes difficulty finding a lug nut to run front and rear. With the OEM wheel you can run the same size lug nuts front to rear, and they seat at the same depth. Currently there is no option on the market to fix this issue.

Signature_Lug_Nuts_OEM_2.jpg

Signature_Lug_Nuts_OEM_1.jpg

Since I started with Signature Wheel I have had several customers asking about lug nut options for the extended studs on the R. Specifically a gentleman with a Shadow Black GT350R back east, who found this as a make or break problem. I told him I would develop a solution that would make him happy as a customer, and hopefully benefit other enthusiasts in the process. The only options till now were to buy new GT350 hubs with standard length studs, or not buy wheels at all. All of this leads me to now. The goal around this endeavor is to have front and rear lug nuts that seat at the same depth for those running extended front studs on a GT350R/GT350/S550 and our Signature Wheel.

SV502_GT350_R_Kurt_1_of_1_3.jpg

EC60_AD0_C_5446_4_AAC_84_B0_E4592_FB825_B8.jpg

I reached out to George at MGW and explained what I wanted to achieve. His abilities to work with CAD and a CNC machine are unmatched in my opinion. I also know is level of craftsmanship is something that I can stand behind after using his shifters. After a few discussions and several measurements MGW sent me some prototypes to share. Built to the OEM conical seat specs and will fit like OEM. These are currently built from aluminum for test fitting and the final product will be made from heat treated steel. Plating/coating options are still in the works.

Signature_Lug_Nuts.jpg

There are two style options with rolled and tapered ends. The rolled and tapered ends are to designed to assist with sliding the socket onto the lug nut, and not dinging up the ends. The hex portion is easily accessible to any socket to provide adequate bite and alleviate the need for specialty deep sockets that could mar up the lug nut hole on your wheel. The load being placed at the end of the hex on the front lug nuts will not cause any issues to the metal at the torque figures being used. There is no locking option available.

Tapered Ends
Signature_Lug_Nuts_option_2.jpg

Rolled Ends
Signature_Lug_Nuts_Option_1.jpg

This is the very first test fitting and it’s pretty much spot on. The lug nut measurements are designed around the drop cup center found on our Signature Wheels, but they may suffice on other brands as well. As you can see the lug nuts now sit at the same depth front to rear without the exposed stud. You almost cant tell which wheel is the front or rear, and it looks much more "finished." The lug nuts will remain open ended, but production pieces will be shortened a few mm to be even with the stud and provide a “closed” look.

Rolled Ends Front/Rear
Signature_Lug_Nut_Option_1_4.jpg

Signature_Lug_Nut_Option_1_3.jpg

Signature_Lug_Nut_Option_1_1.jpg

Signature_Lug_Nut_Option_1_2.jpg

Tapered Ends Front/Rear
Signature_Lug_Nut_Option_2_6.jpg

Signature_Lug_Nut_Option_2_4.jpg

Signature_Lug_Nut_Option_2_3.jpg

Signature_Lug_Nut_Option_2_1.jpg

Let me know who is interested and what you think as I move forward with ordering these for a few of our existing customers, as well as myself. The shorter versions will also work on all four corners with standard length studs, so something for everyone. These will not work on aftermarket wheels that do not fit an OEM sized lug nut. Hopefully it benefits many of you running aftermarket wheels as well. I am committed to finding solutions to problems we all have, and I bring that into all of my customer dealings through Signature Wheel. If there is an issue or problem, we are open to engineering a solution.

Again, thanks to [MENTION=10681]MGW[/MENTION] and [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION] for the help.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If I was using your wheels, I would go with those lugs. They look good. In the future I plan to get a set from you. However, i don't know how good they would look on other wheels from other manufacturers (cough) (6gr). I am certainly not an advocate of 6gr wheels due to the caliper clearance, but have a set because they were purchased way before you got into the wheel game. But for those stuck with a set of 6gr's, you might also offer a set of closed ended lugs custom fit for other aftermarket wheels. I'd buy a set of them immediately if you did.

I'm using gorilla lugs now, and they get the job done well enough for the street.

Hollywood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350R
Those look fantastic Terrance. Thanks for the update!

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Interesting look for those concerned about the exposed studs. However, how much do they weigh compared to the small open nuts?

I have used a similar long nut on a car with extra long studs. As I only track it, I am less concerned about the cosmetics and more concerned about unsprung weight. Took them off for small open acorns. Good luck with your venture. :cheers:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
T, you are doing a fantastic job. Your work at Signature has been absolutely first rate. If I still had my GT350 I'd have already purchased a set. They are lucky to have you on their side.

The lugs you are developing with George are a great solution to a unique issue. You couldn't have chosen anyone better to work with on this one. I laud you for your efforts here as nobody else has stepped up to the plate in this regard. The hardware George produces will be better than what you get from the large manufacturers that have been in this business for years.

Keep up the good work.

Tob

Sponsored

cj428

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R TT
They look great I'm sure I'd be in for a set

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
That looks like nice work. Per the forum rules, would you mind making sales inquiries in a separate thread in the Vendors Classified section? Thanks for your help.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Are laser-etched logo's on the sides of the nuts an option?

Sponsored
OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
That looks like nice work. Per the forum rules, would you mind making sales inquiries in a separate thread in the Vendors Classified section? Thanks for your help.
You got it T. This will be information only.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Are laser-etched logo's on the sides of the nuts an option?
It is, but it depends on what plating/finishing options end up being. Don’t want it to wash out the laser etching. I discussed the same option with George and that was his only concern

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
George won't manufacture or sell anything less than the best. If he wanted to rule the lug nut fastening world in terms of quality he certainly could. Major props to T as the cash outlay is his and he is going out of his way to provide a viable solution without compromise. I dig that to the highest degree.
Sponsored