Sponsored

10 Quart Oil Capacity for 2018 Vs 8 Quarts for 2015-17

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I was able to pull the plug out partially and let it drain slowly for a while before I pulled it all the way out. That made the stream much more manageable.
Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I had very brief air entrainment/oil light flash on 305 NT01 in turn 7 TWS on the 2015. Switched to GT350 pan and pump. There are several other aftermarket larger pan options as well.

Start oil draining slowly at about a quart a minute, idle engine, shut off when oil pressure light flickers. Stop drain immediately. Empty pan and then drain remainder and measure. Should be 4.3 to 5.25 quarts.

The pickup tube stays near bottom at same height off bottom of pan even if pan is made larger or deeper. I heard there was some factory filling of only 8 quarts, not sure if they are doing 8 or 10 now?

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
I changed the oil in mine this past weekend. A full 10 quarts put the dip stick right in the middle. I'm guessing the engineers would not recommend running the car with 8 quarts.

My question is why would you even consider running less oil than what is recommended? Not being a smart ass, I just don't see a benefit but then again I am no expert in the matters of oil usage.

Of course this is off topic from the ops question about running 10 quarts in a 15-17. I have no clue as to an answer to that question.
2015-17 Gen2...8qts plus filter. I prime the filter with 1/4 qt, add
7 3/4 to crankcase. Start the car, idle, shut off and check when
cool. Usually need to add a bit based on dipstick read. 2017 GT

Last edited:

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
The 2018+ Coyotes have a factory oil cooler mounted up front. There is the answer for the 10 quarts.

Sponsored

MagCoyote5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium Magnetic(sold) '21 GT Prem PP1 MR G
From enginebuildermag

There’s also more oil requirement for the exhaust phaser because of the load from the direct injection pump.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The 2018+ Coyotes have a factory oil cooler mounted up front. There is the answer for the 10 quarts.
You are confusing the gt with the m1 or Shelby
No gt has an separate, oil to air cooler, just a oil to water. Basically the coolant circulate in a small cooler mounted between the filter and engine block

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I changed the oil in mine this past weekend. A full 10 quarts put the dip stick right in the middle. I'm guessing the engineers would not recommend running the car with 8 quarts.

My question is why would you even consider running less oil than what is recommended? Not being a smart ass, I just don't see a benefit but then again I am no expert in the matters of oil usage.

Of course this is off topic from the ops question about running 10 quarts in a 15-17. I have no clue as to an answer to that question.

Too much oil gets whipped up by the crank and actually reduces oil pressure and lubrication. Though this is pretty much only at high rpm. But adding a little extra oil used to be a common practice for road course guys who were worried about oil starvation with old school (crappy) oil pans with insufficient baffling.

Engine Masters had an interesting test where the engine made more power and oil pressure with 2 quarts under the recommended level. You really need to be able to data log the oil pressure to find the optimum level.

Not that long ago 6 or 7 quarts was the standard for an American V8. As some others have suggested, I suspect the larger capacity has a lot to do with the desire for longer oil change intervals.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
If you want a little more capacity, rather than putting in a larger pan, you can always install a relocation kit with a dual filter, then stick an external oil cooler in between. You might need to put a t-stat housing in between if you drive where it gets cold. That will likely net you an additional quart, maybe more.

JR

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
why would DI dilute the oil anymore than PI?
There are a lot of theories on DI and fuel dilution. Numbers went up substantially on DI engines at BITOG.
Sponsored