Sponsored

Spark plug change interval?

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Whats the consensus on when plugs should be changed out when supercharged? Im at about 10k miles on my plugs that came with my SC kit. Car runs just fine, I'm just wondering when it's recommended for new ones. Thanks.
Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Whats the consensus on when plugs should be changed out when supercharged? Im at about 10k miles on my plugs that came with my SC kit. Car runs just fine, I'm just wondering when it's recommended for new ones. Thanks.
Recently, I am curious too. I been on whatever sparkplugs my Roush kit came with and currently at 5000 miles and running a tune on E85. Running fine, but a buddy with a similar setup as me said to switch to NGK 6510s iridiums. Then I am reading from other posts here that people are changing them 2-4 times a year if you run it hard and others saying 4k-6k miles. So no clue, all I know is that I will be changing my plugs this weekend to the NGK and probally run it for about 6k-8k and check them :shrug:

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Since boost can eat plugs check them at like 20k or when mpg/ performance falls. These plugs don’t wear like old copper plugs did.

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
What a smartass. Thanks for the contribution. Maybe just don't respond next time you get the urge.:thumbsup:
Lol. It really depends on the setup. Low boost, normal 93/91 octane with no octane boosters, probably could get away with the 20k mile interval. Higher boost, leaded race fuel, octane boosters, probably less than 10k. My personal car with the stage 2 whipple that I run pretty regularly leaded race fuels, octane boosters, etc eats them up in just about 8k miles. My original answer wasnt technically wrong though.. lol

Just to add, changing the spark plugs are cheap and easy to do, changing them regularly also gives you an idea if something is starting to go wrong in the motor.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
What are you all with boosted applications gaping the plugs at? My tuner said .032, but i see a lot of others gaping at .028-.030?

OP
OP
Ggradtech

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Lol. It really depends on the setup. Low boost, normal 93/91 octane with no octane boosters, probably could get away with the 20k mile interval. Higher boost, leaded race fuel, octane boosters, probably less than 10k. My personal car with the stage 2 whipple that I run pretty regularly leaded race fuels, octane boosters, etc eats them up in just about 8k miles. My original answer wasnt technically wrong though.. lol

Just to add, changing the spark plugs are cheap and easy to do, changing them regularly also gives you an idea if something is starting to go wrong in the motor.
This sounds like good advice. Preventative measures are always are a good idea. If you pull the old plugs and you see an issue, maybe check your tune, etc. Seems like the NGK 6510s are what most guys here like best. I'm pretty sure thats what's installed at the moment as well.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Glad that ended well..do guys know each other?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
What are you all with boosted applications gaping the plugs at? My tuner said .032, but i see a lot of others gaping at .028-.030?
Depends on how much timing/boost your running but your tuner should know whats best for your car. I was fine on .035 until I added meth injection and upped boost and timing. Started getting spark blowout. Gapped to .028 and I've been fine since.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ggradtech

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Depends on how much timing/boost your running but your tuner should know whats best for your car. I was fine on .035 until I added meth injection and upped boost and timing. Started getting spark blowout. Gapped to .028 and I've been fine since.
I imagine there would be an obvious symptom or a thrown code that would indicate spark blowout?

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
My first set started missing and throwing codes at about the 11,000 mile mark. Running NGK6510's on E85 gapped at .030 Just planning on every 10k unless something happens sooner.

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
I'm about to pull and replace mine at 17k. Had two random misfire codes pop up intermittently in the past 6 months but car runs strong. Logs look good so I'm gonna try that. The little brochure that came with my blower recommended replacing plugs at 20k so I suppose its time.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I imagine there would be an obvious symptom or a thrown code that would indicate spark blowout?
P03XX DTC code - cylinder misfire.
Sponsored