Sponsored

Canadian s550 owners, maybe non premium - anyone have those halogen color fogs?

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Some questions

1) So our fogs size is H11. Apparently some of us (non premium I assume) have halogen color bulbs there. Are they actually halogen bulbs or LED but halogen color?

2) Assuming they are halogen bulbs, do you need to do anything special to plug in H11 LED bulbs the way you need a special ballast for Xenons/HID? This is more just cause I'm curious, even if the mustangs are LED.

3) Assuming there's nothing special going on, does that mean buying diode dynamics mustang fog lights are actually a "rip off" (sort of, they don't break the bank) since any H11 LED bulb will fit in there?

4) Are "fog light LEDs" a thing if so? Or no, no such thing as a fog light bulb.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Prabzez_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
1) They are actual halogen lights (pathetic i know).
2) you can put any h11 led bulb in the housing it is plug and play.
3) Yes, I guess.
4) Yes, all 2015 MY Mustangs for the Canadian market got the old/cheaper halogen fog lights, after 2016 we received the LED fog lights, which The US market had for all 2015 cars (this is just my understanding).
These LED fogs lights from Ford are a complete LED housing with multiple LED's within it.

The cheaper/easier route would be to just put h11 led bulbs in your fogs, or you can buy two Ford LED fog light (housings). I've seen OEM Ford housings on LMR, iirc. These housings will also be plug and play.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Thanks. Hey another vancouver guy!

I'm just a bit confused on the diode dynamics fog lights I bought.

1) Is there any difference between an h11 led bulb and an h11 fog light LED bulb? I believe fogs have lower lumens to not blind people?

2) What is the advantage of the Ford fog housings vs the regular ones I have? I believe these are what I bought btw: https://www.diodedynamics.com/multicolor-fog-drl-led-bulb-kit-4.html

3) I'm not understanding the multiple housing things. Is that what I bought from diode and it's pretty much the same thing? Looks like one "housing" but multiple leds??

4) I see a lot of people (when I searched topics about this) wanting more lumens. I don't want to do that but just curious - if you wanted more lumens, why are they saying you need a better housing. Isn't it about the bulb?

Prabzez_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
1) No, I don't think there is, I have never seen a bulb specific for fog lights, I doubt you will be blinding people because of how low our fog lights are and that they are DRL's.

2) If that is what you bought then I don't know how they work since they are colour changing. Any regular h11 led light bulbs from amazon should work.

3) The LED Ford housing I am talking about is this:
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-15200U/mustang-led-fog-light-15-17
It will replace your entire Fog Light lens/assembly.
This is what came on 2015 Cars for Canada:
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-15200T/mustang-fog-light-15-17
The LED bulb you linked is just one bulb, with many LED chips on that bulb.

4) Not too sure about this, but any LED bulb you put into your current housing will be brighter than the halogen bulb that was in there, and the LED will never get as hot as the halogen so your housing should be fine.
I think the only concern of an LED bulb in an old/non-projector style housing is the spread and aim of the light, just my guess.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So is the main advantage of the ford housing that it has a more proper spread/aim of light? Or what is the main difference between the ford fog housings and the stock halogen ones?

Sponsored

Prabzez_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The main advantage and difference of the LED housing and halogen ones I linked is that it will look better, and have very good light output, and will keep an OEM look.

The LED housings are a bit expensive, so like I said before, you can buy LED h11 bulbs and it will be fine, anything is better than the yellow halogen bulb fogs since they are on all the time during the day.

Here's an awful picture of my fogs (only one I could find with the lights on), they are very bright and white-ish blue, match perfectly with the low beams, they also have a distinct horizontal pattern which works well to light up the sides of the road and in front of you.
36137501_10156882261971412_583274550414802944_n.png

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahhhh damn. I hope mine will be ok. Don't want to blind people or get pulled over. Thanks!

chowman90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I put in some LED bulbs for my fogs. I think they look pretty good. Definitely better than the halogens.

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Follow-up
Only 1 bulb of the first set worked. It looks white like the American LED lights. I received a 1/2 credit and ordered a second set. I will install those this weekend. They are even slightly brighter than the first set.

If they work as promised, I will post the info here. including brand.

IF they don't work...I send them back.

CVCashmere