Sponsored

Best Oil and Filter for my Engine?

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Got my Mustang a few thousand miles ago and got the dealer to do an oil change as soon as I got it (24k miles), now it just hot 30k and want to do my own oil change. Knowing how delicate this engine can be I would like to go with the best full synthetic oil in the market (obviously).

My car is stock (30,xxx miles) and has given me no issues so far but I know it was tuned before I got it. I am also planning on getting the FP tune soon. I have an intercooler coming and will install it at the same time I do my oil change. I was wondering what brand is the best oil for the eco engine and that also contains the best additives and protection against LSPI.

Should I stick to Ford's Motorcraft full synthetic or should I go for other brands? How about the oil filter? Worth going with an upgraded one or just stick to the Motorcraft one?
Sponsored

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
You'll probably get a ton of different opinions, but on my stock EcoBoost I'm using Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and a Wix 51516XP oil filter, which is a little bigger than the stock filter and allows a full six quart refill.

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Impact Blue Ecoboost
Using AMSOIL synthetic, not cheap but has additives to address LPSI. So far I have not seen any other oil company addressing LPSI - I also gained 1mpg making the switch from the crap the dealer was putting in it (free oil changes) and it seems to run smoother. Running the bigger Ford oil filter, dont remember the number on it but it allows a 6 quart refill too.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
I have run Rotella, Mobil 1, Castrol and even the Motorcraft blend with either a Motorcraft or Wix filter. My engine has 109,000 miles on it, most of those tuned.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Depends

Stock turbo

Big turbo

Power level are

E85 or 91

Mobil 1 full synthetic mate and motor craft
FL 400 filter

Sponsored

OP
OP

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Thank you guys. My eco is stock for now but will be getting the FP tune and Levels intercooler soon.

Just trying to get the best out there with best additives and LSPI protection. Seems like Motorcraft full synthetic will do it? How about the AMSOIL or Mobil 1?

For filter, any advantages of running the Wix one over the OEM one?

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you guys. My eco is stock for now but will be getting the FP tune and Levels intercooler soon.

Just trying to get the best out there with best additives and LSPI protection. Seems like Motorcraft full synthetic will do it? How about the AMSOIL or Mobil 1?

For filter, any advantages of running the Wix one over the OEM one?
Big oil filter is better than OEM mate .

Fl 400 is about 1.25 inch longer .25 in width compared to all others , and made by motor craft in the USA same threads to in stall on engine . I run this filter not for insurance but the volume of oil in this motor with 6.5 Quart's of oil the OEM a bit small for my liking " same price" this why I use this filter..:cheers:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My prior EB w/PP had the oil changed at the Ford Dealer every single time at the 5k interval; when the car was reacquired by Ford in Feb this year, it had over 36k on it.

There was never an issue with having the Ford Dealer change the oil OR with the oil/oil filters they use at the shop.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My prior EB w/PP had the oil changed at the Ford Dealer every single time at the 5k interval; when the car was reacquired by Ford in Feb this year, it had over 36k on it.

There was never an issue with having the Ford Dealer change the oil OR with the oil/oil filters they use at the shop.
This not a sword fight thread this a question on what is in use on our cars mate.. The above filter is what I feel safe to use? and I'm not on a lease like you were or trading up that I see you did. I see you drive an 18 pp so no way it has that kind of millage.

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
This not a sword fight thread this a question on what is in use on our cars mate.. The above filter is what I feel safe to use? and I'm not on a lease like you were or trading up that I see you did. I see you drive an 18 pp so no way it has that kind of millage.
I like Valvoline with that FL 400 oil filter an added benefit is the 400 has a smaller particulate absorber ..

Waiting for the IL- SAC GF 6 to be released by the few manufacturers that have performed the crucial testing with the additive packages that reduce Calcium Etc .

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sword fight?? I answered the OP’s question with facts based on what oil and oil filter were used for my oil changes.

To clarify my initial response - as previously stated, my PRIOR S550 was a 2016 EB premium w/PP and in fact did accrue over 36k on it in less than 2yrs time due to distance driven. It also was not a lease, I don’t even know where you came up with that...

The 2016 was reacquired by Ford due to multiple unfixable warranty issues and replaced by Ford with the 2018 EB Premium w/PP I now have... which currently has over 1,200 miles on it in less than 4 weeks of ownership.

One more thing - let’s debunk the “these engines are delicate” MYTH... these engines can take daily normal wear/tear or EXCESSIVE wear/tear, they can take aftermarket tunes (when PROPERLY tuned) and they can also survive oil changes when serviced at a Ford Dealership using their oil and oil filters.

Sure, there’s a multitude of oil and oil filter options available and anyone can use Brand-X, but as to what is the “best” in both categories is totally subjective and is of the opinion of anyone - forum members, magazines, vendors, tested subject matter, car show adversaries, oil forums, etc etc etc.

My statement was to show that these engines can and will survive on Ford Service oil and oil filters, whether folks want to “boo and hiss” about it or say how Dealership oil/oil filters are shit products... not to start a sword fight how you so eloquently state...:cheers:

You want a good site to really check up on oil facts and anything oil related, here ya go:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Dip shit , Dip shit , Dip shit ...............

Roesch Ford did a free 1st oil change for me .. the tech added 7 quarts of that synth blend .. I checked the level before leaving .. so I dumped a quart on the drive and proceeded to imform the management that his tech needed to clean up his mess on the drive before some Dip shit drives through the mess on the drive ...

If they can not change the oil correctly . Why would I want that tech to touch my mustang ?

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok.

Thank you for clarifying:cheers:
I like Vancouver ford for for warranty work like my pcv system and my" canister's sensing unit " I'll keep changing my oil for what the charge +quality is.:cheers:
Sponsored