Exhuast Sound Kills Elderly?

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
I am beginning to take business trips again As part of ramping up from some health limitation I have been coming back from. My son loves it as I let him take my ‘16 GT and he parks his ‘05 Focus ST in my driveway.

My son lives in an apartment complex where there parking lots around the complex. The other day, A gentleman steps in front of him after he backed out of his spot. My son rolled down the windshield and asked if he could help him.

The guy went on to ask if he knew that loud exhaust kills older people. He went on further to threaten to report him to local police about the noise disturbance every morning around 8am and coming home between 7pm - 8pm.

My son told me he kept his cool, smiled and advised him to report the disturbance to whomever he felt like he needed to.

I think we would all like to have friends rather than enemies at home with the niehbors. I googled for ordinances for my county. For exhaust, the volume is measured for several speeds, standing 35 feet from the center line.

The first pass is under 35 mph, the volume should be less than 80 decibels. The second pass must be over 35 mph, the exhaust should be under 84 decibels.

I didn’t do an official pass, but standing directly behind my GT with Magnaflow Competition Exhaust, I was getting 95 - 105 decibels at 2 feet at idle. From 20 feet away and moving with feather light touch on the gas petal, I don’t think it would have a problem passing.

I did take his comment about the noise startling people to heart. At my house, where it lives, the houses are pretty far away. My neighbors have said that are fine. At the initial start, it will idle high which a lot of guys have discussed here already. I have an uncle I love dearly that I have sent off a firework that caused him to passout. My uncle worked as a Ford engineer during the time the first Mustang was being designed. He was, unfortunately one of the Edsel engineers. They did not tend to last line after the Edsel was cancelled. This is the man that started my Mustang passion. At 5 years old, I would get rides in his Mustang...

I searched for anything in the net about load exhaust notes causing health issues. I came up with nothing.

After the gentelmen spoke to my son the first time he continued to use the car for another two weeks. We havn’t heard a peep.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
After the gentelmen spoke to my son the first time he continued to use the car for another two weeks. We havn’t heard a peep.

Thoughts?
If you haven't heard from him again, I have to assume the noise killed him.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I wish my exhaust killed Prius drivers instead.

Sponsored

stang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
If you haven't heard back from the elderly man. Then you can only assume he has passed away. I hope you have a lawyer because his family will most likely sue for wrongful death.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This is why we cant have nice things...

Its a God given right for the elderly to complain about everyone and everything.

And I am sure there is a law against stepping oit into a road or driveway or blocking some elses progress.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I hope you have a lawyer because his family will most likely sue for wrongful death.
Then again, if he was the same with his family, you might have a reward coming.

Sponsored

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
That sure is a nice exhaust you got there..., would be a shame if something happened to it.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely not.
If loud exhaust killed the elderly, the entire state of Florida would have like 10 people living in it - all the Harleys would have killed them off long ago.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I can confirm this.

I've driven past a elderly home and I now have multiple lawsuits on my hands.
First we had to deal with taking out crowds, now this :rolleyes: ...

Stay safe out there mustang family
Sponsored