Sponsored

Is this some kind of shift assist tech, or just an engine I'm not used to?

withanx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT Vert
I just picked up a 2016 GT manual, and noticed something that seemed interesting to me. If I am in, let's say, 2nd gear and at 3000 rpm, if I push in the clutch, it will drop the RPM down to around 2200 and hold there for a second or two before dropping down to idle RPM. Is this some kind of tech that predicts your next upshift and holds at the estimated RPM, or am I just overthinking a characteristic of the engine?
Sponsored

5.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford white 5.0
I just picked up a 2016 GT manual, and noticed something that seemed interesting to me. If I am in, let's say, 2nd gear and at 3000 rpm, if I push in the clutch, it will drop the RPM down to around 2200 and hold there for a second or two before dropping down to idle RPM. Is this some kind of tech that predicts your next upshift and holds at the estimated RPM, or am I just overthinking a characteristic of the engine?
Its the computer hanging the revs to make shifts easier.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
yeah, it took me a while to get used to it, in my miata the revs drop quite a bit faster so for a smoother shift I will get on the gas sooner, which I carried over to my mustang and got some jerky jerky shifts for the first few days.

OP
OP

withanx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT Vert
yeah, it took me a while to get used to it, in my miata the revs drop quite a bit faster so for a smoother shift I will get on the gas sooner, which I carried over to my mustang and got some jerky jerky shifts for the first few days.
Exactly what I was/am doing out of habit. I've noticed shifting with no gas seems to give the smoothest shift in higher gears, but still trying to figure out that 1st to second transition. Seems I might need a little gas there as I'm letting off the clutch, or maybe I just need to shift into second sooner.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
If anything the rev hang makes the shift tougher to get smoothly, there's no way that it's built in to help you shift. Good Grief.

Has nothing to do with shifts and everything to do with the emissions and not having the throttle slam closed suddenly which spikes the emissions.

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
If anything the rev hang makes the shift tougher to get smoothly, there's no way that it's built in to help you shift. Good Grief.

Has nothing to do with shifts and everything to do with the emissions and not having the throttle slam closed suddenly which spikes the emissions.
Exactly. That stupid rev hang honestly think the shifting characteristics of the car, I can't wait to get tuned and get rid of it.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
I'm Lund tuned and don't think it's any different. should I have asked them to do something about it? what would I ask for?

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
I'm Lund tuned and don't think it's any different. should I have asked them to do something about it? what would I ask for?
I'm not sure tbh, I've just seen multiple threads having discussed getting rid of the rev hang by tuning it out.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
My Lund tune still did this, as does my Whipple tune. It has never bothered me, personally.

Sponsored

chops44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fathouse 1250R....1992 Gt 39k mile garage queen
I agree, it makes them kind of a bitch to drive....you pretty much have to “wait” on it to get a smooth shift

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Only if you’re short shifting. If you’re really wringing it out, you can bang it into the next gear immediately and it will go in with no fuss.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Ya I hate that aspect of my car...stupid rev hang.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Mine doesn't do this.. ? Revs drop as soon as I let off the gas and clutch in.

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
I don't think the rev hang on this car is because of emissions. It holds the revs perfectly for the next gear....not too high or low.

The only actual rev hang I notice, is from the 1st to 2nd shift.
Sponsored