Sponsored

New Mustang Vert Owner, help w part?

Yogis1097

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium 'Vert
I've owned only Fords since I was 16 years old. I am a truck guy and my wife was an SUV gal. However our kids all began driving and have their own cars so this time around the wife talked me into a Mustang instead of her usual SUV. I insisted on the GT and she insisted on a 'vert. We picked up the car a few months ago but two plastic pieces of the car were in the trunk. Can anyone please assist with letting me know what these pieces fit on the car? Thanks and be safe.
Stang 5.jpg
Stang6.jpg
Stang2.PNG
Stang1.jpg
Sponsored

bcdstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Met GT 6spd Convrt/50yr
They are the tonneau covers

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
I don't know if I'd call them tonneau covers....that usually refers to a cover (hard or soft) that goes over the bed of a truck, or one that covers the entire back seat of a convertible similar to some 60's Thunderbirds.

Those are caps that hide the exposed convertible top mechanism when the top is down. Not only are they aesthetically pleasing, but they serve to protect the hinges from dirt, bugs, and debris. They snap in and there's a sensor that prevents the top from being raised when they're still installed.

Prior to 2015 the S197 convertibles used a full boot to cover that area.
convert caps1.JPG
C11 - Copy - Copy.JPG

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
I hope they have corrected the issue that was on my 2016. The sharp edges were responsible for cutting the roof. They replaced my roof and polished some parts. On my 2018 it was corrected from factory

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if I'd call them tonneau covers....that usually refers to a cover (hard or soft) that goes over the bed of a truck, or one that covers the entire back seat of a convertible similar to some 60's Thunderbirds.

Those are caps that hide the exposed convertible top mechanism when the top is down. Not only are they aesthetically pleasing, but they serve to protect the hinges from dirt, bugs, and debris. They snap in and there's a sensor that prevents the top from being raised when they're still installed.

Prior to 2015 the S197 convertibles used a full boot to cover that area.
I was wondering if there was anything in place (sensor) that would prevent the top from going up if they were installed. I have been paranoid that I will forget they are on and then put the top up....I will have to test myself just to make sure it works (OCD). :headbonk:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Yogis1097

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the help, they snapped right in place once you guys told me what they were used for. Be safe

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
My car didn't come with those. Picked up a set on ebay, but man they are a pita to store in the trunk.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking of getting one of those cargo nets and just placing them in there so they are up against the side and out of the way... I like the size of the trunk but was spoiled with the coupe as it had a bit more height and I think a bit more depth...

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
Doesn't anyone read the owner's manual anymore? It tells you what those plastic pieces are for.

I was wondering if there was anything in place (sensor) that would prevent the top from going up if they were installed.
No. it will not go up.

OP
OP

Yogis1097

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn't anyone read the owner's manual anymore? It tells you what those plastic pieces are for.

No. it will not go up.
Thanks for the response...reckon there’s one in every crowd.

Sponsored

Deeplakes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
17 GT/CS Convertible
I'm thinking of getting one of those cargo nets and just placing them in there so they are up against the side and out of the way...

That's exactly what I did, works great :thumbsup:

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

No. it will not go up.
I actually read through my entire manual for the coupe I owned..just didn't get to it yet with the Vert! :headbonk:

Twinguin

just a little Fury
Threads
Reaction score
Website
s76.photobucket.com
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Convertible
I kept these covers in the plastic wrapping they came in and stuffed them into the garage somewhere. They will be unused when I return the car.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Here is the back of the new parts for 2018. I don t remember if foam was there before 2018, but you can see near the white sticker the round circles are grinded

picture.jpg

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
The foam was not there before! Great idea! CVCashmere
Sponsored