Sponsored

Oil leak

RobBaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, 6 speed, Performance Package in RR
I had a minor but aggravating oil leak for about 6 months, it was dripping on the garage floor coming right down from the oil pan drain plug. I changed the the oil looked at the plug and the reinstalled the oil plug as I would normally do. Cleaned up the area, no leak. A couple of days later the leak reappeared. Investigated further and found it was the oil pressure sensor just up from the oil drain plug next to the oil filter. This oil pressure sensor has some thread pipe dope on it but apparently not enough or not threaded on enough to be effective. I took this sensor off and with a wire bush cleaned the threads and replace the pipe dope with two turns of Teflon tape. I reinstall this sensor being careful of not over tighten since it's being installed into a cast aluminum fitting. Got my fingers crossed and hoping it is now resolved.
Sponsored

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
I had a minor but aggravating oil leak for about 6 months, it was dripping on the garage floor coming right down from the oil pan drain plug. I changed the the oil looked at the plug and the reinstalled the oil plug as I would normally do. Cleaned up the area, no leak. A couple of days later the leak reappeared. Investigated further and found it was the oil pressure sensor just up from the oil drain plug next to the oil filter. This oil pressure sensor has some thread pipe dope on it but apparently not enough or not threaded on enough to be effective. I took this sensor off and with a wire bush cleaned the threads and replace the pipe dope with two turns of Teflon tape. I reinstall this sensor being careful of not over tighten since it's being installed into a cast aluminum fitting. Got my fingers crossed and hoping it is now resolved.
That's actually been a leak point for those equipped with an oil pressure sensor that comes with the performance pack. More than likely you fixed the leak. :clap2:

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=7311]Grimace427[/MENTION] completed my tech inspection this afternoon for an upcoming HPDE event and we found the same leak point. To secure the oil pressure sensor/sender unit you will need a 27mm deep socket, a universal joint adapter and ~10" extension. I found the sensor was very loose when removing. Applied some fresh teflon tape and reinstalled (service manual calls for 124 lb.in +180*). Easy fix and something to keep an eye out for on your next oil change.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I believe there is a similar tech thread in the TSB sub-forum on here where other members with the EB w/PP have also had the same exact issue.

I don't know if any actual TSB or SSM exists yet about this area of concern.

I'm wondering if the oil psi sensor is coming loose due to the EB 4cyl being a naturally "buzzy" engine and the vibes eventually make the sensor come loose.... Or if it's actually another Ford "Quality Job Failure" in that this sensor is not being installed as tight as it should be during the engine build process.

I'd advise other EB owners to check this area out.

JStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
Just wanted to chime in and say I had this same leak happen. Took the car out yesterday for some pretty hard driving and woke up this morning to find a few oil spots on the driveway. Got under the car and found the sensor wasn't tightened down at all and I could turn it freely by hand! There was a decent amount of oil on the filter as well as lightly sprayed on the underside of the car behind the sensor. Needless to say I tightened down the sensor pretty well and at next oil change might take it out to put some teflon tape on it.
Sponsored