Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
While I would say it depends on the track, the ZL1 should post a better lap time. It has a serious power advantage.

The only way I see the GT350R winning this head to head is if they say it "feels better" Stuff like turn in, grip, driver confidence etc. But as far as lap times go, the ZL1 should take that.
I thought overheating may be an issue for the ZL1 but I've read that it is non-issue so ZL1 should take this one when we are just strictly looking at the numbers. They may consider the fun factor of driving these cars though which is very subjective. GT350R may take the cake for the fun factor alone.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
technical track will favor the GT350 anything with larger straights and the big power ZL1 will pull away. Someone post the article when it comes out. I refuse to buy Motor Trend.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I thought overheating may be an issue for the ZL1 but I've read that it is non-issue so ZL1 should take this one when we are just strictly looking at the numbers. They may consider the fun factor of driving these cars though which is very subjective. GT350R may take the cake for the fun factor alone.
Have you ever seen a ZL1 tested during the Summer?

Remember the 2012 ZL1 stunt at high altitude and 50 degree temps vs. a Boss? Then in Summer it slowed to a slug, slow enough for the GT500 to handle it.

You won't likely see any ZL1 beat during the summer... regardless to popular belief, the Camaro's cooling capacity and airflow in are extremely limited. Yes, just as much as the C7.

Notice the ZR1 opening up the front once again? Airflow that is taken in under the bumper support does not have access to hood vents. Most of the air is swept to the brake duct/DL area and over wheelwell.

In order for such a car to repeat its 1st/2nd lap time would be nearly impossible. It is the very function of these engines/trans to keep cool to avoid failure.

Heat plus excessive G's will cause ZL1's to do exactly what the Z06 did... coolers will help until engine temps reach 280-300... then the coolers actually retain heat and become heat producing components, as does the intake/exhaust.

That is something nobody wants to live with and the GT350 has very little issue with.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
technical track will favor the GT350 anything with larger straights and the big power ZL1 will pull away. Someone post the article when it comes out. I refuse to buy Motor Trend.
Pretty much. You really shouldn't be comparing an FI car to an NA one. But... this is Motor Trend...

I also don't give money to MT.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
There is a pic of the pair on Instagram it's a 350r going up against the ZL1. Randy is going to have a blast with these two cars.:cheers:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTCjyOqBtji/
I was expecting the ZL1 with its aggressive appearance package to be the looker of the two, but dang. The 350 looks so great, the ZL1 actually looks old and stale.

Sponsored

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Have you ever seen a ZL1 tested during the Summer?

Remember the 2012 ZL1 stunt at high altitude and 50 degree temps vs. a Boss? Then in Summer it slowed to a slug, slow enough for the GT500 to handle it.

You won't likely see any ZL1 beat during the summer... regardless to popular belief, the Camaro's cooling capacity and airflow in are extremely limited. Yes, just as much as the C7.

Notice the ZR1 opening up the front once again? Airflow that is taken in under the bumper support does not have access to hood vents. Most of the air is swept to the brake duct/DL area and over wheelwell.

In order for such a car to repeat its 1st/2nd lap time would be nearly impossible. It is the very function of these engines/trans to keep cool to avoid failure.

Heat plus excessive G's will cause ZL1's to do exactly what the Z06 did... coolers will help until engine temps reach 280-300... then the coolers actually retain heat and become heat producing components, as does the intake/exhaust.

That is something nobody wants to live with and the GT350 has very little issue with.
I think that in all of your posts, you should have a caveat that reads "this is totally my opinion, and most of my opinions have no basis in the real world."

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Personally I say fill them both up with gas, take them to a road coarse, and 20 laps later the first one across the line is the winner. Bone stock with the sales sticker still on the passenger window.

My money regardless would be on the 350. Sure, under power by CI and FI but the overall power band is impressive. Who knows.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Personally I say fill them both up with gas, take them to a road coarse, and 20 laps later the first one across the line is the winner. Bone stock with the sales sticker still on the passenger window.

My money regardless would be on the 350. Sure, under power by CI and FI but the overall power band is impressive. Who knows.
I would love to see this.

Then do it again with the same tires.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I agree with this, but also spend a month first driving them on the street every day. Just measuring track performance without any other info is not much of a comparison.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Agreed. Actually, This is the only comparison we need to see.
Agree. What I find odd is that the Mustang and Camaro have been rivals for decades, yet this will be the first head to head 6th gen comparison on a track. :shrug:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

I agree with you 100% no prep no changing tires pick one off the lot gas them up and go. :thumbsup:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Someone post the article when it comes out. I refuse to buy Motor Trend.
Pretty much. You really shouldn't be comparing an FI car to an NA one. But... this is Motor Trend...

I also don't give money to MT.
If I want to read how far above everything else a GM product is I'll go to a gm dealer and look at there sales broachers or free.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Their tagline of "A match-up 50 YEARS IN THE MAKING" annoys me...the Camaro has been back for the better part of a decade now..it's not like this is a novelty.

The first 3 way comparison test (2010 R/T, GT and SS) was entertaining because it really was a big deal since it was the first time since the early 70's that all three were back and making their presence known. It was also fun the next year (11 SS, 11 GT and 11 SRT) since two of the three had new engines.

The 2013 Boss 302 and 2014 Z/28 comparison was fun too since that was the first time they could be compared since 1970...

Other than that? All these comparisons making it sound like it's a MONUMENTAL MOMENT is hyperbole and just plain silly.
Sponsored