Sponsored

Serp Belts with Whipple. What you guys/gals running?

BigMikeVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550 GTPP
Just had my first belt failure. The gates micro V that comes with the Whipple. I did notice after a quick burn out I heard some belt slippage when RPM was coming down. Checked tension immediately after, was a tad loose but figured it was because the car had just been running for a hour and stretched because of heat. Once belt cooled it was stiff again.

Should I be looking into other options? Belt had only 4k miles if that. Tension was good, checked a couple days ago. Not a clean cut either, looks like it was ripped in half with thread showing. All pulleys look to be fine and free spinning.

Thanks in advance.:cheers:
Sponsored

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
Something isn't right. I've got over 22k on the belt that came with my whipple and it still looks great.

Was your belt frayed or showing signs of shredding before it broke?

What's your manual tension pulley set to? I've got mine maxed for maximum tension.

Tony

OP
OP

BigMikeVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550 GTPP
Happened when car hit redline, which is super easy to hit in these cars.. I had tension a little under max. didn't want to put to much pressure on the head unit shaft. was still very stiff but noticed it loosens up alot when belt gets up to temp. I knew I was on borrowed time with the way I drive the car. Just didnt know if I should snag a belt that handles heat better.

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
It's slipping if its heating up a lot... a tight belt shouldn't heat up that much.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BigMikeVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550 GTPP
OP
OP

BigMikeVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550 GTPP
It's slipping if its heating up a lot... a tight belt shouldn't heat up that much.
what size blower pulley are you running?

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yes the black 6 rib that comes with the kits
Ok so that's your problem. I just had the same thing happen to me. Whipples install instructions say to set the tensioner at 80% which is what I had mine set to. After doing some research I found that the RPM series belts do not stretch at all and both Gates and Whipple recommend a much lower set point for your tensioner..about 30-50% if I remember right.

I emailed Whipple tech about 2 weeks ago explaining what happened and what I found regarding their 80% figure being wrong for the RPM belts in the install manual and haven't heard anything back.

I'm running an Autozone cheapie belt right now at about 50% and it seems to be ok. Have a standard Gates micro V and 1/2" ratchet in my trunk just in case...lol

OP
OP

BigMikeVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550 GTPP
Im sorry, its the Gates Micro V after looking at the belt not the rpm. I ran it a tad tighter due to having a smaller diameter blower pulley, tension was in spec. Just noticed after belt got up to operation temp it seemed to be more pliable.

Fortunately looks like amazon has them for 24 bucks a pop. Got a couple coming that will be here tomorrow. Is the RPM series the green belt? I cant find a cross reference chart anywhere for the gates belts.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Im sorry, its the Gates Micro V after looking at the belt not the rpm. I ran it a tad tighter due to having a smaller diameter blower pulley, tension was in spec. Just noticed after belt got up to operation temp it seemed to be more pliable.

Fortunately looks like amazon has them for 24 bucks a pop. Got a couple coming that will be here tomorrow. Is the RPM series the green belt? I cant find a cross reference chart anywhere for the gates belts.
You happen to have the part # handy? I need a spare myself.

Sponsored

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

The RPM belts are black now. They were blue a few years ago.

Hmm, wonder why you snapped?
You happen to have the part # handy? I need a spare myself.
Is your car running the long or short belt routing?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase

SHONOFF15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 OW GT
Ok so that's your problem. I just had the same thing happen to me. Whipples install instructions say to set the tensioner at 80% which is what I had mine set to. After doing some research I found that the RPM series belts do not stretch at all and both Gates and Whipple recommend a much lower set point for your tensioner..about 30-50% if I remember right.

I emailed Whipple tech about 2 weeks ago explaining what happened and what I found regarding their 80% figure being wrong for the RPM belts in the install manual and haven't heard anything back.

I'm running an Autozone cheapie belt right now at about 50% and it seems to be ok. Have a standard Gates micro V and 1/2" ratchet in my trunk just in case...lol
So I did see this in the instructions "NOTE: It's good to set the tensior at 75-80% of its travel when belt is cold." Can someone clarify if this is to the right or left? Mine is pretty much in the middle currently and seems to be ok using the belt whipple supplied.

I also did try searching and some guys were saying up and down on their tensior?? Is that on an old model??

Just looking for some clarification.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
So I did see this in the instructions "NOTE: It's good to set the tensior at 75-80% of its travel when belt is cold." Can someone clarify if this is to the right or left? Mine is pretty much in the middle currently and seems to be ok using the belt whipple supplied.

I also did try searching and some guys were saying up and down on their tensior?? Is that on an old model??

Just looking for some clarification.
What belt are you using? If its the RPM belt, they are made not to stretch at all, which is why Gates recommends the auto tensioner to be more towards the middle or less(30-50%). A Gates Micro V would be a belt that you want the auto tensioner to be at 80% which would be more toward the right when standing in front of the car looking at the engine.

I'm just wondering what belt Whipple is sending out with their kits? My kit came with the RPM and it seems others came with the Micro V.
Sponsored