Sponsored

Wump wump wump noise

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Noticed this noise lately within last few weeks. Sounds like its tires. Just had them checked but are in the "green" according to ford. But that's 6/32" according to their written measurements, which is below green. They are the performance pack summer tires. Car is at 11k. Tires are at 4k. replaced out of pocket at 6k because they said they were worn, which i thought was crazy because i only got on it twice. otherwise i baby it. and was causing vibration at 55 (nope, vibration still there. Since i got the car new). Previous tires did the same thing. Also had previous tires balanced, out of pocket again. It has always made that noise. I attached a link to the video. Pretty hard to hear though, louder in person as always. Sounds like out of balance tires to me. Balanced once at factory, once out of pocket. Then new tires, balanced again. Are the two dealers i brought it to just bad at balancing? Or is this normal. It is speed dependant. If anyone knows a good ford dealer around Shorewood, IL or Oswego, IL let me know lol i have not had good experiences.

Here is the link:
Sorry for the bad camera angles, didnt think i was going to be Sharing the video.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Any help? :(

Its a 2016 Mustang gt with performance package if that helps.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If the vibe has been there since new and has always made that noise as you say... sorry to say, but you may have the dreaded driveline vibe...

Check out the HUGE thread in the TSB/Problems sub-forum on here for LOTS of info.

It’s not the tires - don’t let the Dealership tell you it is tire related.

OP
OP

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Ive looked in to that many times, kinda was thinking tires myself. Honestly i think i have both issues. Ford cant duplicate any issues

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Sorry can't hear the video, but when I had a wump wump noise it was due to the tires being scalloped. Uneven wear can cause that noise.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Were they road force balanced? Could help in this case.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I'm not sure I've ever "heard" an out of balance tire on any of my cars in decades of driving. The symptom has always been steering wheel or shifter "shake" at road speeds in the 45 - 75 mph range or so.

EDIT to add: the comment above about wump wump wump from tire scallop makes sense if the tire has been badly out of balance for a long time. Google tire scallop or cupping to see examples.

Windows up or down? There are some "interesting" noises from air turbulence with one or both windows down.

Same road? Pavement texture can make some strange noises, especially concrete in the Midwest.

Has any actual tire wear expert checked the tire wear pattern for signs of out of balance or excessive toe in or out.

Any chance, given the conditions your roads may be in thanks to winter damage, you've been forced to hit pot holes which did tire and/or wheel damage?

My 15's GT PP oem Pirelli's had no out of balance issues and were quiet on most pavement. The many sets of Bridgestone RE-7R autocross tires I abused in hundreds of autocross runs and many thousand highway miles didn't have balance issues even with lots of "strange" wear from autocross. However, the RE-71R's certainly started making lots of noise as the typical autocross wear patterns developed.

OP
OP

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Windows up and down. I notice more with windows up because then you dont have the wind noise. The noise has been there since i got the car with 5 miles on it. Sounds like the tires are flapping. I always compare the sound to the sound of a helicopter blade. Noises sure are hard to describe, and with bad phone microphones and dealers saying they cant duplicate it makes me feel absolutely insane. Sometimes i truly feel ive gone nuts and just being over protective of my baby. I guess it is possible wheel damage, ive very slowly ran over a curb in a parking lot cutting a turn not knowing there was a median there, checked for damage, i didnt see any visually. And then at a wendys parking lot about 5 mph still in 1st gear. My experience is mostly with engines and i know very little about tires and drivetrain (i really wish my friend would have stayed in school to be a ford mechanic lol). I honestly dont know what noises and vibrations are normal to be completely honest. Ive had two older camaros in the past and never had any of these issues. I love the way my Mustang looks, but damn all the issues kill my enjoyment. I freaking baby the thing and they said i needed new back tires at 6k miles? Wth. Thats really expensive. I give it gas sometimes but i try never to in the first three gears, especially first two so i dont spin at all. Im not that rich, i basically have a significant part of my paycheck going into payments on this thing and it kills me to have all these issues. Sorry im just venting at this point and sounding like an idiot. I really appreciate the help everyone. Oops forgot to answer one question. Yes same route to work manly put several different roads as its a 30 mile drive and all the same. Also since the dealer rotated my tires last week, now my brakes are pulsing under light braking . No idea what that is about

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Sound comes from either a damaged tire (structural), uneven patch of treadwear (failure), or a bent wheel, which tends to lead to the aforementioned two issues. The only time I've heard that on a car of my own is because I had a bent wheel. And considering this is happening on two sets of tires now... maybe you need to have your wheels checked. You could also very well be hearing something flapping under the car, like an improperly connected underbelly tray.

OP
OP

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Yep i guess a wheel could do it. I guess i just figured they would catch that in balancing and i thought they were not like aluminum foil as, yes i hit a couple bumps, but very mild. Welp.. I guess i cant check any of this myself so I'd have to take it in anyway or just deal with it. I didnt think it was a tray because its not random in any fashion as in wind hitting it, it is exactly speed dependent ya know? Rhythmic. Never getting faster or slower at a consistent speed. I will check it though. Any one around Illinois that can recommend a new dealer?

Sponsored

Mach550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PREM
You said you replaced your tires at 6k miles? That's not right. Have your alignment checked. You might have excessive toe front or rear. That will cause noise and extreme wear.

I'm getting the same womp womp road noise. I have BFG Comp2 A/S 305/35/20's in the back. I think it's the tires. Not sure.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
If it were me, I'd take it to a local Discount Tire or other reputable shop with a Road Force balancing setup. See if that takes care of it or reduces it. I've seen road force balance setups actually compensate for wheels that were slightly out of round.

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If it were me, I'd take it to a local Discount Tire or other reputable shop with a Road Force balancing setup. See if that takes care of it or reduces it. I've seen road force balance setups actually compensate for wheels that were slightly out of round.
Yeah I would agree with this, otherwise over time it may lead to feathering which will make that worse...

Check alignment also.

OP
OP

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Yes i assumed because mine cant be rotated to the front because they are staggered and they are only rated for 15k, and they probably would have if i could have swapped to the front for half the time. But maybe the dealer was just trying to get money. I brought it in for a vibration issue and they said it was that (it wasnt). They said it was due to my "driving habits" only spun tires (probably) twice giving it gas from a stop. No burnouts or donuts etc etc.

You said you replaced your tires at 6k miles? That's not right. Have your alignment checked. You might have excessive toe front or rear. That will cause noise and extreme wear.

I'm getting the same womp womp road noise. I have BFG Comp2 A/S 305/35/20's in the back. I think it's the tires. Not sure.

OP
OP

Kronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Do you think your tires are normal to make that noise? Or there is an issue?

Sponsored