Sponsored

Who is upgrading to a 2018

Fen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Convertible with Magneride
Haven’t read all this thread, but surprising amount of negativity since I was last on here around the time we got my wife's ‘16.

Anyway, we picked up her ‘18 GT convertible in Orange Fury with magnaride today. The ‘16 was a manual fastback, so not entirely a direct comparison to the auto convertible, but what a difference. The ‘18 addressed pretty much everything I was disappointed in with the ‘16 (except build quality; it’s still a Ford after all so only built to a certain cost).

Ride is much better with magnaride; more compliant and not so jarring. The exhaust sound is way better, even in normal - I’d say the stock ‘16 sound is the new quiet and it just gets better from there. It doesn’t sound like the engine noise is piped in now as there’s proper V8 sound from the tailpipes. The interior is noticeably nicer (specifically the nasty silver plastic is now a bit less nasty), and the DRLs and front end in general look finished rather than a cludge to pass Euro compliance.

Digital dash is OK, though a long way behind Audi or even VW. Surprised to see it come with premium audio including subwooofer which sounds pretty good compared to the ‘16 Shaker system that sounded like headphones left on the dash. Also surprised it came with a heated steering wheel. Details are cool also; the indicator noise is a ‘clip-clop’ horse sound for example.

All in all it feels like a very much more sorted car, and I can’t help thinking this is how the first RHD cars should have been, but I guess Ford wanted to see if there was a market before investing too much in seeing if there was demand outside North America.

No pulsing strat button so far as I can see but we get Drag Strip mode. Haven’t looked for strut brace yet but don’t think it has one, and pretty sure no line lock option.

NZ$90k all up and the ‘16 sold for $60k privately versus a trade in offer of $57k. $30k to change then, but we only paid $72k for the ‘16 so a lot more than half of that is uplift to a convertible, options (paint and magnaride) and price increase.

Ford in NZ managed the runout very well in terms of preserving values and I didn’t see ‘18 registered ‘17 models being discounted much at all until recently, after the ‘18 was already being marketed.

Alternatives like S3 or M4 are way more expensive this side of the ditch than the Mustang and there isn’t a lot to compete with it over here.
Sponsored

Last edited:

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Build quality - yeah after driving around some $30 K Subarus and Kia I am really disappointed in build quality of my Mustang.

The Japanese/Korean attention to detail is amazing, as well as the appointment level and finish. Not to mention seven year warranty.

Race Control

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT A Platinum Tri Coat

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Since this thread is about upgrades and obviously aimed at existing owners, how many of you have gravel rash now on both sides of your current mustangs between the rear wheel arch and the end of the doors?

Sponsored

Mustang madness2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
MY19, MUSTANG GT. AUTO, RUBY RED.
That colour looks awesome,seems to change quite a lot in different light.
Enjoy your new car.:coolphotos:

Reactions: Fen

Fen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Convertible with Magneride
That colour looks awesome,seems to change quite a lot in different light.
Enjoy your new car.:coolphotos:
I'll maybe get some better ones either today or at the weekend, but probably won't put in too much effort until it has some stripes.

What colour did you order?

OP
OP
MUS550

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Does anyone know if the RHD 2018 has the same oil cooler design and location as the 2015-2017 ? Also has anyone checked if the headers are still the same on the rhd 2018 ?

Sponsored

Cobra - RJN1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2018 GT Manual
Yes done it. Light Blue GT manual with Forged Alloys arriving late May.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ange
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, Magnetic Grey
Since this thread is about upgrades and obviously aimed at existing owners, how many of you have gravel rash now on both sides of your current mustangs between the rear wheel arch and the end of the doors?
Signed my contract today!! 2018 GT auto,shadow black, with rear wing $72,650 drive away.

WOW that's $7,500 more than I paid for my 2017 GT with metallic and Silver Wheels? But I guess this is were Ford starts to rip us off.

clive1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible
WOW that's $7,500 more than I paid for my 2017 GT with metallic and Silver Wheels? But I guess this is were Ford starts to rip us off.
I recently paid $64,000 for my 2017 GT convertible drive away which I figured with the 5 year warranty was a good deal
Sponsored