Sponsored

GT 18 PP1 Seattle tires advice

bunkmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont have one
Guys, recently bought a 2018 Mustang GT (manual) with PP1. I will post pictures once I pick her up from the dealership.

I will be using the car as a daily driver in Seattle and I do not own any other car.

Which tires should I buy for winter in Seattle or should I not bother at all because of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires?

Average monthly Seattle weather in the past: https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/seattle/washington/united-states/uswa0395

Reason:The reason why I ask this question is because of the nature of weather in Seattle. Its rainy and cloudy most of the year but does not snow.

Research: I have read other posts that explain summer tires are better in rains.

Thank You.
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Guys, recently bought a 2018 Mustang GT (manual) with PP1. I will post pictures once I pick her up from the dealership.

I will be using the car as a daily driver in Seattle and I do not own any other car.

Which tires should I buy for winter in Seattle or should I not bother at all because of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires?

Average monthly Seattle weather in the past: https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/seattle/washington/united-states/uswa0395

Reason:The reason why I ask this question is because of the nature of weather in Seattle. Its rainy and cloudy most of the year but does not snow.

Research: I have read other posts that explain summer tires are better in rains.

Thank You.
How long have you lived in Seattle? It sure used to snow and/or have freezing rain when I went to the U of W in the 60's and 70's and had to deal with both snow and ice most winters. At least with modern winter tires you won't have to deal with the pavement ruts caused by studded tires.

OP
OP

bunkmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont have one
I have lived close to 3 years, in Seattle downtown area. The last time it snowed there was thin layer of snow on the streets but nothing like Columbus, Ohio kind of snow. On those days, I do not plan to take out the car.

pjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WW 50th Anniv LE, '68 Merc Cougar, '17 GT350R
I live on Eastside of Seattle. I got along fine with the stock (at the time) Pirrelli Summer tires. I ran them until they were just about bald (~8000K mi). I didn't have any problems except when it was cold. They got pretty slippery when cold.

I replaced them with Michelin all season and absolutely love those. They took me from Seattle to St. Louis MO in the dead of Winter through as much as ~5" of snow without fail. Including a side trip to Mt. Rushmore.

Short answer is I wouldn't take it out in the snow with summer tires but you should be fine if you're careful when it's cold. I didn't have any problems in the cold just noticed a more tendency to slip and took it easy in the mornings.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You should not drive on the MP4S in freezing rain or snow. That would be treacherous.

They'll handle those average temps ok and are good in the wet, but they may develop cracks if the temperature swings cold quickly or is below 30 degrees for more than a handful of days each year. If thats the case, I might consider switching to the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. You'd give up a lot of warm weather grip, but the tire should perform in cold temps better, and should handle even a little light snow.

In the warmer months the MP4S would be great tires.
Sponsored