Sponsored

MT Head 2 Head - 2018 Camaro SS 1LE vs 2018 Mustang GT

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I just checked Chevy's site.

The Camaro and Mustang are optioned/packaged quite differently. To get the V8 in a Camaro, you have to get the 1SS or 2SS packages. So theoretically the base V8 Camaro comes with Brembo brakes and Summer only tires, you can't get lesser brakes and all-season tires on a V-8 Camaro.

There's no direct comparison between the two.
That's nothing new, the only difference is that this generation the 1SS and 2SS have the RS package baked in, where as for the 5th Gen the RS package (HID's, different wheels, etc) was a $1,500 add on package. The 5th Gen Camaro SS always had brembo brakes, even the 1SS.

The trim levels and such remained the same for both cars respective 6th Generations, however the Mustang was cheaper as a base GT. Now if you add on the automatic and the 301A package (MFT screen, etc)..you're the same price as a 1SS auto Camaro..but you still lack the brembos and such.

Ford's pricing has gone up, but the content has not..thus the value of the Mustang is diminishing.
Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
All this blather about who's better is just great, except that if they test them for more than 20 minutes at a time on track at 100% only the Camaro will be running, the 'stang will be parked in limp mode from overheating diff and/or trans. The SS 1LE includes coolers on all the running gear, Mustang PP2, just the engine oil heater thingie.

I cannot believe Ford would send out the PP2 as a competitor to the 1LE without including proper track cooling. Halo cars and all that shit is fine and dandy, but how about fixing an obvious shortfall with the Mustang as a track car? Did they not learn their lesson from the GT350 debacle? I think the Camaro is a butt ugly slug with piss poor ergonomics and worse outward visibility, but as a track weapon it's clearly the better of the two and cheaper too boot.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked Chevy's site.

The Camaro and Mustang are optioned/packaged quite differently. To get the V8 in a Camaro, you have to get the 1SS or 2SS packages. So theoretically the base V8 Camaro comes with Brembo brakes and Summer only tires, you can't get lesser brakes and all-season tires on a V-8 Camaro.

There's no direct comparison between the two.
Some people don't like facts. The fact is that you get a performance-focused suspension, summer tires and brembos with an SS, no matter what other options. The base GT can be had with a comfort-focused suspension, and skinny A/S tires as standard, as well as with many other trims (premium, Cali special, black package, etc). Optioning the performance package on the GT makes it a direct comparison with the SS, in terms of equipment attributes. The 16 SS is better in every objective measure than the 15-17 GT PP. We'll see if that still holds true with the 18 GT PP. The SS 1LE is a big step beyond the regular SS on the equipment for performance. The GT PP2 does the same. I don't get why this is so hard to understand. Chevy doesn't offer a equipment package similar to a non-PP GT. That's their choice. IMO they lose a not-insignificant number of sales because of it (its resulting minimum price point, mainly), but that's their choice.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Some people don't like facts. The fact is that you get a performance-focused suspension, summer tires and brembos with an SS, no matter what other options. The base GT can be had with a comfort-focused suspension, and skinny A/S tires as standard, as well as with many other trims (premium, Cali special, black package, etc). Optioning the performance package on the GT makes it a direct comparison with the SS, in terms of equipment attributes. The 16 SS is better in every objective measure than the 15-17 GT PP. We'll see if that still holds true with the 18 GT PP. The SS 1LE is a big step beyond the regular SS on the equipment for performance. The GT PP2 does the same. I don't get why this is so hard to understand. Chevy doesn't offer a equipment package similar to a non-PP GT. That's their choice. IMO they lose a not-insignificant number of sales because of it (its resulting minimum price point, mainly), but that's their choice.
This I agree and have voiced my opinion on the other forum about. The Camaro needs to have a base SS without summer only tires, Brembo, and a couple other options. There are many who live in cold climate and would like to drive a car longer then 6 months. There are very good high performance A/S tires out there. I have a set on the Vette DWS06 and they work great for those who don’t plan on tracking.:cheers:

gunkk

Wanted a Shelby Cobrra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
650hp Convertible
One of the gee emm marketing weasels said they were looking at lowering the min equip on a “base” SS so expect a more closely matched base GT competitor in 2019 with the refresh.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
I just can't wait until all the media outlets get their hands on the PP2 for testing. I'm really interested in seeing how that performs. I may consider getting one if it's a significant upgrade over PP1.

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
All this blather about who's better is just great, except that if they test them for more than 20 minutes at a time on track at 100% only the Camaro will be running, the 'stang will be parked in limp mode from overheating diff and/or trans.
Dude, how many people are actually going to do that with their cars? Be serious here. Few enough do something as relatively low risk/cost as going to the drag strip. I honestly don't see more than 1/500 owners of the GT PP or SS going to a track and running for 20+ minutes straight (brakes, tires, oil, etc, are not insignificant costs and add up quick - plus you might wreck your daily). To me, caring that one or the other is better after going 20+ minutes at 100% on the track because one will exhibit overheating issues is like making a decision based on which car has the higher top speed (and I would guess that more people will see their car's top speed than will ever go 20+ minutes on a track).

Blown_90LX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold boosted 5.0L Fox & 4.6 Cobra
Motor Trend On Demand? Well, what's that?

I watch their Youtube channel, is there some other channel one must have to see this?

FWIW, as much as Jason Cammisa was a bit annoying, I did like him better than the weirdo that replaced him, Jethro Bovingdon. Who is just too feminine for me.

And that's saying something, since Cammisa (I think) is teh ghey.
No way bro. Jason Cammisa is the man. A true Mustang guy who likes smoky burnouts as much as big t***.

It’s carlos Lagos who has me saying WTF, I can host/broil tires better than this narc.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
All this blather about who's better is just great, except that if they test them for more than 20 minutes at a time on track at 100% only the Camaro will be running, the 'stang will be parked in limp mode from overheating diff and/or trans. The SS 1LE includes coolers on all the running gear, Mustang PP2, just the engine oil heater thingie.

I cannot believe Ford would send out the PP2 as a competitor to the 1LE without including proper track cooling. Halo cars and all that shit is fine and dandy, but how about fixing an obvious shortfall with the Mustang as a track car? Did they not learn their lesson from the GT350 debacle? I think the Camaro is a butt ugly slug with piss poor ergonomics and worse outward visibility, but as a track weapon it's clearly the better of the two and cheaper too boot.
Agreed. The 1LE is a better competitor to the GT350, bit even the 350 does not have an E-LSD. As far as are SS & GTs go, sadly the SS is a better choice because of the coolers.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Dude, how many people are actually going to do that with their cars? Be serious here. Few enough do something as relatively low risk/cost as going to the drag strip. I honestly don't see more than 1/500 owners of the GT PP or SS going to a track and running for 20+ minutes straight (brakes, tires, oil, etc, are not insignificant costs and add up quick - plus you might wreck your daily). To me, caring that one or the other is better after going 20+ minutes at 100% on the track because one will exhibit overheating issues is like making a decision based on which car has the higher top speed (and I would guess that more people will see their car's top speed than will ever go 20+ minutes on a track).
I think the PP2 is aimed at those of us that do occasionally track their cars (2-4x/year in my case). So seeing how PP2 performs against the competition is actually useful for me. I had my car go into limp mode on the track. Had to replace the rear diff fluid with Royal Purple to get it to stop overheating. So something like coolers actually makes a difference.

For standard buyers all this stuff doesn't matter, but a good amount of enthusiasts actually push their cars. If the PP2 isn't aimed at us, then who is it for?

Sponsored

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
What's the point of putting 305/30 PSCUP2 tires if not to track the car ? PSCUP2 are useless on the road unless living near mountains roads or roadcourses where you can get them to temps (I'm lucky to be in this case:D)

I drove PSCUP2 for 4000miles, and the grip is far inferior to a "normal" tire at ambient temperatures, they are almost dangerous in rain...

If fear a lot of PP2 will end up totalled if people think they have tremendous tires...

So, diff and trans cooler needed, as well as an engine oil cooler (Unless i'm wrong PP1/PP2 don't have even oil cooler)

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
One note the car does not come with mag-ride with the PP1 package as MT is saying in the test. Not saying it did not have magneride but....

The Stang did look very soft, I am thinking if the setting is set on track with magneride it should not be that mushy!.? Lieberman mentioned the settings was set to sport,why not track?

Last edited:

chaoscentral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Anyone have a chance to watch it yet? I'm about half way through it so far.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
We all know the 1LE is going to have the best track times.

What we don't know is by how much and whether that will win the H2H.

chaoscentral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
t5PnMFt.png

Looks like the GT is 3.5 seconds behind. They also said in the video the GT had the magneride.

They also did a 1 mile on dirt/salt race at the beginning and the Mustang finished the standing mile 6MPH faster than the camaro but failed to beat it to 60 or in the quarter

Standing Mile Dirt/Salt
GT - Camaro
157MPH - 151MPH

0-60
4.4 - 4.1

1/4 mile
12.6 - 12.5

Winner of this H2H is the 1LE but they said at the end they will re do the test when PP2 comes out in "6 months".
Sponsored