Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Turns out this fuel system is a bit of a random mix. Our PFI injectors are in it, but not our DI injectors. HP fuel pump doesn't seem to be from the same supplier as the ECU. I sent my video to some higher up people in the development group here, and they basically said it sounds like sh1t. There are some theories being offered up as to the cause of the noise, and most seem focused at the fuel pump. I could be wrong in saying it wasn't the origin.
It will be very interesting to see what the TSB says, if/when released. I had a couple suggestions on a fix, but I need to datalog the fuel pressure to see if that is leading in the right direction.
BTW, I have been running around back with 93octane again, and the noise is the same. I could even hear it with the windows up when the engine was still warming up.

The telling thing to me here, and correct me if I'm wrong, but not one engine builder has come forward with any concerns associated with stock piston bore clearances or out of round cylinders. They would be the first I would expect to blow the whistle if there is a serious manufacturing defect effecting many 18s.
I doubt many engines have been torn down from the 2018. I know I have discussed with the 2 shops/tuners I deal with, and neither one has noticed the rattle in their shop cars. Both were fairly shocked at how horrible it sounded. Personally, I wouldn't try to run it in the operational mode that generally creates the rattle. If the pump is causing all the noise, that could be a sign of cavitation. DI pumps are expensive to replace, if you aren't covered by warranty.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Who knows if a TSB is even coming. I expect the TSB to state "rattle has no long term issues" like the GT350. The shop manager who told me this also stated my clutch NVH is a result of me not double clutching and I was wrongfully depressing that clutch all the way to the floor during shift changes (despite the manual telling you to always fully depress clutch). I would take his TSB statement with a grain of salt.

I keep watching YouTube videos of people with the ticks. Someone had been diagnosed with cylinder 4 scoring. He didn't mention anything about the rattle. I used to think the ticks are no big deal since many Coyoyes have them but I guess I'm wrong. So it looks like it's not just the rattle that's associated with scoring.

Shoshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Not really sure what to do at this point.
Maybe wait and see if more information comes out.

Have an imbalance at 65-70 tires or possibly drive shaft.

Otherwise car is quite fun.
Planned to make it a project car but now it’s not a good idea to change anything.
Rather bummed about it.
Had tires balanced and still getting the 63-72 vibration. (Loudest 65-70)
I am guessing it is the drive shaft.

I will make an appointment next week to look at it.
Don’t want to drive it in sport+ mode because it rattles a lot so I drive in normal mode which rattles less.

Truly disappointing.

Lightning5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Dealership changed the rocker arms and valves, Technician said the car is still making the noise and will followup with ford on the next steps.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Dealership changed the rocker arms and valves, Technician said the car is still making the noise and will followup with ford on the next steps.
I would love to see a dealer change the HP pump and see if it goes away. I would expect rocker arm and valve lash noise to always be present.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Longblock complete. As i cruise I hear 5.0 beauty coming out of my pipes, the crazy voice in my head telling me to destroy the planet, and Octane put on low volume.

No rattle during cruise.

I want to say I sort of hear the noise still but honestly its probably nothing.

Sad to report the car didn't come out unscathed. My scratch-less beauty had scratches.

Now my only issue is that my transmission is going to go out. I have that feeling. Im having the same symptoms LS_eater was having.

Still in the buy back process. Its been approved. They actually pushed the envelope on that one which was a good thing in my eye. I have had too many issues with this car so im moving on.

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
That would suggest they have no clue of what is causing this problem. Disturbing to say the least.

Lightning5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Dealership said the issue was escalated further up Ford's Chain and working with their Engineers, trying different things. I think my car just became a guinea pig.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Did you change your gauge layout or put the shift light up top? Check your setting it is most likely something you changed.
That was it btw, shift light up there took the music title away..

I did my first oil change yesterday while installing the headers and MGW shifter, I bottled up a sample and sent it off for a UOA, I put in the comments section to check for abnormally high contamination over a typical engine breaking in to see if there is more hard metals, like iron or anything from the rattle. If it comes back good then I’m not worrying about my engine at all. First 10k of a engine usually has high concentration of hard and soft metals. Hopefully this won’t have anymore then normal. Only 1250 miles on the sample. But 250 more then my usual first change.

Also the MGW didn’t seem to fix my 2nd gear lock out totally, out of 5 runs 3 were great, 2 locked out and grinds. Could’ve already damaged the synchro I guess. I love the shifter, was worth it, but was hoping it fixed the lock out like every reviewer claims.. but again it could be me.. or I have one of those transmissions lol

Sponsored

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
That was it btw, shift light up there took the music title away..

I did my first oil change yesterday while installing the headers and MGW shifter, I bottled up a sample and sent it off for a UOA, I put in the comments section to check for abnormally high contamination over a typical engine breaking in to see if there is more hard metals, like iron or anything from the rattle. If it comes back good then I’m not worrying about my engine at all. First 10k of a engine usually has high concentration of hard and soft metals. Hopefully this won’t have anymore then normal. Only 1250 miles on the sample. But 250 more then my usual first change.

Also the MGW didn’t seem to fix my 2nd gear lock out totally, out of 5 runs 3 were great, 2 locked out and grinds. Could’ve already damaged the synchro I guess. I love the shifter, was worth it, but was hoping it fixed the lock out like every reviewer claims.. but again it could be me.. or I have one of those transmissions lol
I am very interested in the oil analysis result! Please post the results once you received i If you don't mind!

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I am very interested in the oil analysis result! Please post the results once you received i If you don't mind!

Of course, i usually dont run a UOA until after 10k since the engine will have more "heavy metals" in it up until there as its breaking in. BUT with the rattle/slap/tick/noise thing we are having, figured it wouldnt be bad to see if they are noticing higher then normal particles. also usually change my oil running signature every 15k but plan on doing it at 5k and 10k then 15k and see how its wearing, after that i may go back to my 15k intervals... if i keep the car past 20k lol. last 3 cars all get about 20k in the 3 years i own them

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Been driving the car a little with the new engine. I can sort of hear the noise i heard. Not too worried about it since its so low. I have to focus to hear it. If my old noise was a 10 this noise would be a 2.

My car sounds better also. Its not just me...everyone says it sounds louder. Not really sure how that happened. Ill be going to stock exhaust soon if they dont reimburse me for aftermarket parts.

If anyone wants to buy a "pretty much new" corsa active exhaust hit me up. With the stock exhaust normal mode sucked. With the corsa catback the normal mode is amazing!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Been driving the car a little with the new engine. I can sort of hear the noise i heard. Not too worried about it since its so low. I have to focus to hear it. If my old noise was a 10 this noise would be a 2.

My car sounds better also. Its not just me...everyone says it sounds louder. Not really sure how that happened. Ill be going to stock exhaust soon if they dont reimburse me for aftermarket parts.

If anyone wants to buy a "pretty much new" corsa active exhaust hit me up. With the stock exhaust normal mode sucked. With the corsa catback the normal mode is amazing!
I still believe every engine has the noise, especially if the main cause is in the fuel pump/system. Some days I can really hear mine, and others I have to concentrate.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I still believe every engine has the noise, especially if the main cause is in the fuel pump/system. Some days I can really hear mine, and others I have to concentrate.
This noise isn't the fuel system it is piston slap. I can hear the fuel system also. This was confirmed when they changed the block and the new motor barely has the noise at all.

More than likely my engine was out of spec. Now it's more in spec.
Sponsored