Sponsored

Seating position and height - Recaro vs Leather

susko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 Track
Ready to pull the trigger-- but hesitant on the seat choice.

I test drove a leather optioned '16, but the ride height seemed very high even at the lowest setting (I'm 6'4").

I sat in a recaro optioned '16, but I wasn't allowed to test drive it. Suffice to say the seating position felt lower and more sporty.

Was my butt playing tricks on me? Or is it that noticeable..
Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I really don't know if I can be useful since I'm only 5'10". I didn't consider a premium but drove quite a few cloth GTs. I had no problem with the height. Ended up finding a used '15 with cloth Recaros. I think they may be able to be adjusted lower than stock seats.

I will say that I like them 10x more than the stock cloth seats. They're more comfortable, supportive, and sporty. No contest.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The Recaros definitely sit a little lower. It's not much, but it's the difference between my helmet skimming the roof and not.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
I drove with the "sofa" seats for almost 2 years in my '16 GT350 Tech pack and they where perfect! Except for the track... they sucked!

As DocWalt mentioned... My helmet would would skim the roof and I'm only 5'4". I couldn't drive on the lowest setting because I couldn't see over the dash. ;) j/k.

Actually the worst part I found was the head rest would force my head way forward, with helmet on, even when in the farthest rear setting.

Switching over to the R and the standard Recaros... they really hold you in and no more helmet issues! The only thing I miss are the heated/cooled seats.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I love the heated and cooled seats. They do push my helmet forward. I thought they were adequate at the track but I'm probably comparing them to 1970 Mach 1 comfortweave.

Sponsored

OP
OP
susko

susko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 Track
I drove with the "sofa" seats for almost 2 years in my '16 GT350 Tech pack and they where perfect! Except for the track... they sucked!

As DocWalt mentioned... My helmet would would skim the roof and I'm only 5'4". I couldn't drive on the lowest setting because I couldn't see over the dash. ;) j/k.

Actually the worst part I found was the head rest would force my head way forward, with helmet on, even when in the farthest rear setting.

Switching over to the R and the standard Recaros... they really hold you in and no more helmet issues! The only thing I miss are the heated/cooled seats.
Thanks for the replies everyone. From my research the heated/cooled leather are the DD choice and the Recaro are the track choice, which makes sense, but too bad the seat height is that different.

The recaro seat doesn't have the leather's lumbar adjustment, correct?

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
No lumbar adjustment on the Recaros. I’m not sure they have any up/down or height adjustments either.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
No lumbar adjustment on the Recaros. I’m not sure they have any up/down or height adjustments either.
They do have a sort of up/down adjustment, but I have yet to master it. I've been so used to power seats the last few years. :shrug:

r1racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
At 5’10” my impression is that the Recaros sit too low for street driving m. The sofas can be adjusted to a height similar to the recaros. Also I’m not sure I could drive more than an hour or two before becoming uncomfortable in the recaros.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
At 5’10” my impression is that the Recaros sit too low for street driving m. The sofas can be adjusted to a height similar to the recaros. Also I’m not sure I could drive more than an hour or two before becoming uncomfortable in the recaros.
5'10" here as well and I can go as high as I can hit the headliner with my head if I want to. Passenger seat is not height adjustable though.

For me they work very well and I can find my ideal driving position without issues plus I can fit with the helmet on.

Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The Recaros pinch my thighs so for really long trips I have a stadium cushion to lift me up a bit. They're fine for DD & track use, IMO. I have the seat all the way down due to my height and it's at an OK height, IMO.

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
I’m surprised you found it way although it seems true from other responses here. When I was looking for my car I sat in one with recaros then the leather and fit way better in the leathers, so ended up ordering that way. I’m 6’7” btw.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I’m 6’1 and the Recaro’s feel great to me. I sat in a few sofa seats and they seemed high but I didn’t adjust any settings or drive one.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Both are way too high. I don't understand why they can't have more adjustment to go lower. They can go unnecessarily high.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Depends how long of torso you have I'm 6' and if I adjusted the seat for a upright position and with the clutch on the floor left the knee slightly bent And seat all the way down my hair was touching the roof. No way to lower the sofa seat, I was also looking out front glass well above mid line. So custom seat for me on racing seat plate, now I gots lots of headroom, but no airbag no AC, much easier to get in and out.
Sponsored