Sponsored

Trunk Sound Deadening - Dynamat, Damplifier, etc.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Low frequency noise is just about impossible to deaden. Mid to high frequencies are fairly easy to stop. Any low frequency noise that can get to the frame will be transmitted throughout the vehicle.
Sponsored

1stStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Shadow Black Premium AT

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U...qid=1476229382&sr=8-1&pi=QL40&keywords=vb-4.5

I used VB-4.5 Sound Damping Pad w Vinyl Noise Barrier in the spare tire cavity. This made a huge difference in cabin noise. There is no adhesive to deal with. Just lay it down. I have an Roush axle back and it really muffles the cabin noise. The cabin is at 72dB wide open.
hi there, saw your post on the sound dampening. I just put a cat back exhaust on my 2016 mustang gt.. i do love it, but it's a bit much on the highway. Was wondering did you cut this to the exact shape of the trunk cover panel? and does it lay flat with all of the curvatures in the trunk? Just trying to figure out how I would cut and install this??

1stStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Shadow Black Premium AT
It is flexible enough to contour to the wheel well. I laid it right on top of the sheet metal. I just had to cut out a piece to fit over the spare tire mount.

DropTop66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Thanks for sharing your experience with the VB-4.5 Sound Damping Pad and I'm glad it worked out well for you. In essence I constructed the same sound-deadening sandwich and placed it over the adhered Boom Mat covering, including an added panel between the trunk and cabin. The results were quite disappointing.
Other contributors on this drone issue state that it's a low frequency resonance problem, causing almost everything to vibrate. The car is a convertible and what I still can't figure out is why there's hardly any difference in the intensity of the drone with the top up versus down. You would think the sound would be trapped more with the top up versus down and therefore be perceived as louder, but it's not. In conflict with the "everything's vibrating" theory, there are days when using the car with the top down where the drone is almost non-existent (yet the same roads and driving style). The difference I found on those days is in presence of a moderate (20~35 mph) cross-wind from mother nature. It doesn't happen every time there's a cross-wind which makes it more confusing.
Love the sound from the Gibson's, especially when the right foot gets athletic, but that drone cruising at about 1.0~1.2k rpm on the freeway sucks!

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It is flexible enough to contour to the wheel well. I laid it right on top of the sheet metal. I just had to cut out a piece to fit over the spare tire mount.
thanks! going to decide between this and dynamat or maybe do both??

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
CLD (Constraint Layer Dampers) do not block sound primarily, they dampen vibration.

If you want to block sound, get MLV (mass loaded vinyl) and put it under carpet.

Combined they do wonders.

chunter415

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1, 2019 F150
I’m hoping to bring this thread back alive, and hear some updates on how everything is working for all of you. I’ve got a new 2018 GT that I love and can’t get enough of, but when I do drive it to work the freeway road noise is louder than I would prefer and hoping to knock it down a few levels. I’m thinking of picking up some MLV and laying it in the spare tire location and elsewhere in the trunk, seeing how that works and if all goes well try to expand to a few other areas in the cabin.

I’m not trying to make it luxury car quiet, but I would like to knock the road noise down a few levels to make the boaring drive to and from work quieter.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I’m hoping to bring this thread back alive, and hear some updates on how everything is working for all of you. I’ve got a new 2018 GT that I love and can’t get enough of, but when I do drive it to work the freeway road noise is louder than I would prefer and hoping to knock it down a few levels. I’m thinking of picking up some MLV and laying it in the spare tire location and elsewhere in the trunk, seeing how that works and if all goes well try to expand to a few other areas in the cabin.

I’m not trying to make it luxury car quiet, but I would like to knock the road noise down a few levels to make the boaring drive to and from work quieter.
Ford did not do us any favors by not applying any sound deading material to the spare tire area. There is some white foam material up along with wheel wells, but not much.
I have found that cabin noise comes from several different sources- Exhaust noise/vibration, Tires, and exposed areas such as the trunk. I had purchased a borla Sport exhaust system which is very loud and produces some resonance within the trunk area. I am wondering if the 2018's are equipped with an exhaust system designed around the Ford Performance by Borla touring/sport system. It also depends upon your tires. If you have the Michelin Pilot 4s models they should be fairly quiet.
As far as adding material to the trunk area.... if you are looking to knock down vibrations and rattles, then use a material such as Dynomat. If you are looking to reduce road noise and lower frequencies... then the mass loaded vinyl products are the way to go (dynamat makes a "dynapad" for that purpose). I placed the dynamat in the spare tire well area and the shelf just above it. For my purposes to quiet the exhaust it did not work. I tried some MLV product (dynapad) which did reduce road noise, but I was still having droning from the exhaust, so I switched to a Corsa system and my problem was solved. If your exhaust is fine and it's just road noise, stick with the MLV sound deadening material. Best of Luck.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Lorne much appreciated! I enjoy doing little mods like that. :)
I appreciate all of your posts on the forum. I had to get my son to help me with mine. I am short and have some back/hip issues, so leaning into that trunk was not a good thing for me...

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Have you tried looking at the trunk mat TKO Performance is selling? You just lay it on your carpet & you're done.

I think the thread is in the general section.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue