Sponsored

Lund w Airaid/Mishimoto Vs FRPP PP2 tune

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Has anyone compared the Ford Racing PP2 to the Lund tune with an Airaid or Mishimoto (looks like an interesting option) cold air intake? If I dont go the PP2 route I would prefer these intakes over JLT style intakes (open) as the engine bay gets super hot in the slower speeds of stop and go and autocross. I suspect power would drop if the intake sucks in hot engine air and I'd be worse off that stock in these scenarios. I also understand Lund doesnt really recommend the TB upgrade so I'm not including that in their tune package.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-performance-cold-airtake-1517-gt.html

I'm considering these two and would appreciate comparisons on drivability, torque, power etc. How are quarter mile times, trap speeds etc? With the Lund and AirRaid/Mishimoto, wondering if those intakes help at all with a tune Vs just keeping the OEM box and changing the filter.

My 15 is 3 years old last week so assuming the FRPP 3 year warranty doesnt really matter anymore?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
For a closed box I'd go with the Mishimoto, Holley, Corsa or Injen intakes. Open box will be a bit hotter in stop/go but for power, flow usually outweighs temperature. If you get one like the GT350 CAI or Roush that seal well to the hood, the rise isn't too bad. The PMAS and JLT flow extremely well but the box design is pretty poor for sealing. Doing the Velossa Tech Big Mouth greatly improves the rise over ambient at idle and in traffic.

Alternatively: Mishimoto induction tube + modified stock airbox lid + K&N or aFE filter has proven to be a very potent combination. I went with the Roush after having that combo in large part for the sound of the open box (really nice deep bass tone under heavy throttle). The Mishi tube + stock airbox + filter as described pulled stronger down low and through the midrange. The Roush is stronger up top (mine has the insert removed, so the full 105 mm bore).

Given where you are with ownership, I would go with an aftermarket tune.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I did an Airaid CAI with AED on my 15 and made 420/390 SAE in the middle of summer last year at like 95% and 90+% humidity. On my 17 I went Steeda and haven't been tuned just quite yet. No real reason other than i wanted to try the Steeda CAI out. Yeah, it rises slightly higher than the Airaid or stock, but it immediately cools off, in a few seconds when moving back to ambient. The Airaid or stock took a few minutes to cool back off. I personally would do whatever intake floats your boat, and an AED tune, but that's just me.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I did an Airaid CAI with AED on my 15 and made 420/390 SAE in the middle of summer last year at like 95% and 90+% humidity. On my 17 I went Steeda and haven't been tuned just quite yet. No real reason other than i wanted to try the Steeda CAI out. Yeah, it rises slightly higher than the Airaid or stock, but it immediately cools off, in a few seconds when moving back to ambient. The Airaid or stock took a few minutes to cool back off. I personally would do whatever intake floats your boat, and an AED tune, but that's just me.
Agreed. My Roush CAI also cools off extremely fast, much quicker than the stock box even.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
For a closed box I'd go with the Mishimoto, Holley, Corsa or Injen intakes. Open box will be a bit hotter in stop/go but for power, flow usually outweighs temperature. If you get one like the GT350 CAI or Roush that seal well to the hood, the rise isn't too bad. The PMAS and JLT flow extremely well but the box design is pretty poor for sealing. Doing the Velossa Tech Big Mouth greatly improves the rise over ambient at idle and in traffic.

Alternatively: Mishimoto induction tube + modified stock airbox lid + K&N or aFE filter has proven to be a very potent combination. I went with the Roush after having that combo in large part for the sound of the open box (really nice deep bass tone under heavy throttle). The Mishi tube + stock airbox + filter as described pulled stronger down low and through the midrange. The Roush is stronger up top (mine has the insert removed, so the full 105 mm bore).

Given where you are with ownership, I would go with an aftermarket tune.
Awesome. Do you prefer the Roush or old setup? Did both have Livernois tunes? How is Livernois vs Lund?

Velossa requires cutting the grill right? Saw your banner in signature, do you work with them?
Cheers

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome. Do you prefer the Roush or old setup? Did both have Livernois tunes?

Velossa requires cutting the grill right? Saw your banner in signature, do you work with them?
Cheers
I think overall I prefer the Roush, but it's close. My plan to compliment it with the GT350 IM and TB will make it a more complete package geared towards high RPM fun. I may go back to back and try the other again. Both were with Livernois tunes, and I've been very happy there.

The Big Mouth doesn't strictly require cutting the grille, but it would be pointless if you don't considering you have to take the bumper cover off to install it. The easiest way is to take a hack saw to the intake section of the grille and cut the back sliver off that has the blocked off honeycomb (you can see how on the thred). It looks OEM once all back on the car. It greatly limits ROA during traffic and auto-X because it blocks the radiator backwash behind the grille from entering the intake stream. It also makes for cooling off the intake air even faster. I do work with Velossa Tech :)

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Hey B, can't remember if I asked you...can you use the big mouth with the Injen intake? For lower rpm fun, would you still say Roush? Mine's a daily so not much time in the uppers...trying to figure out the best combo for that and I will be SCT tuned by someone, probably Shaun(recently sold the brand new tune req PMAS and Lund nGauge and bought an SCT)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey B, can't remember if I asked you...can you use the big mouth with the Injen intake? For lower rpm fun, would you still say Roush? Mine's a daily so not much time in the uppers...trying to figure out the best combo for that and I will be SCT tuned by someone, probably Shaun(recently sold the brand new tune req PMAS and Lund nGauge and bought an SCT)
Sure can. I'd probably go with Mishimoto tube and stock box for street use. It's very strong.

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking the Injen because closed box and 106mm w/ big mouth...I take it that will limit torque down low hence the stock box with Mishi tube + tune would be better?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking the Injen because closed box and 106mm w/ big mouth...I take it that will limit torque down low hence the stock box with Mishi tube + tune would be better?
The Mishi tube is more where the magic is. The extra volume it has improves the midrange quite a bit. I was surprised.

Sponsored

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Well, it's a hella of a lot cheaper to mod stock box and Mishi tube than the Injen that's for sure. Gt350 snorkel or stock (both still with the big mouth addition...big mouth no matter what!)
...sorry OP but I thought it relevant info for you, don't mean to hijack.

SoFloEco

5 Liters of Love!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime HPP Ecoboost Mustang
The Mishi tube is more where the magic is. The extra volume it has improves the midrange quite a bit. I was surprised.
THIS ^^^^! I had a PMAS but would regularly get 160+ deg IATs in traffic, which is a fact of life in South Florida. I ditched the PMAS for a Mishimoto tube, a K&N filter in the stock air box, and a Velossa Tech Big Mouth. While the car is a little quieter, I don't notice a difference in pull at all between the 2 setups. It feels just as strong as with the PMAS. Just got a Lund tune a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier with my 'stealth', stock appearance improved performance.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
THIS ^^^^! I had a PMAS but would regularly get 160+ deg IATs in traffic, which is a fact of life in South Florida. I ditched the PMAS for a Mishimoto tube, a K&N filter in the stock air box, and a Velossa Tech Big Mouth. While the car is a little quieter, I don't notice a difference in pull at all between the 2 setups. It feels just as strong as with the PMAS. Just got a Lund tune a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier with my 'stealth', stock appearance improved performance.
Thanks. Ok, so I've go three options.

1) Lund/Livernois/AED with simple filter swap and Mishi tube
2) Same but with Injen or Mishi cold air intake
3) PP2

All with Big Mouth. Decisions Decisions. I wonder what will give the most increases in torque and power through the mid band.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Ok, so I've go three options.

1) Lund/Livernois/AED with simple filter swap and Mishi tube
2) Same but with Injen or Mishi cold air intake
3) PP2

All with Big Mouth. Decisions Decisions. I wonder what will give the most increases in torque and power through the mid band.
#1.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Thanks.

Do you know why midrange torque would drop with the Roush intake?
Additionally, why would torque drop with a GT350 manifold? Does this lower compression - not understanding the mechanics.

Did you have any concerns going with a tune before the 5Y/60K powertrain was up?
Sponsored