Sponsored

TIFU....Anything else I could/should do?

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
So on my way to work today I was going changing lanes to pass a tractor-trailer cruising in the center lane of a 3 lane (in each direction) highway. I was going from the far right lane to the far left lane to pass the big rig an another car that were pacing each other no one else really around me. Well as I swung across the two lanes I was about 2 car lengths behind the big rig, not realizing it was loaded to the brim with gravel and got absolutely rained on by fair large chunks. The split second I was behind him seem resulted in a nice windshield crack right in the center of my vision, along with some new front end chips. It kinda startled me and I was passing him anyway so I sorta just went by and continued on my way to work as I didn't think there was anything I could do at the time. In hind sight I wish I had of slowed down and gotten the trucks information.

Now I am planning to get my ford triple care warranty to fix the glass chips (at least 3 significant ones) all less than a half dollar in size though, and my current plan is to get a touch up kit from the ford dealership and attempt to do front end myself as the paint took a beating. I know people on here seem to like Dr Color Chip too. I have never done paint correction though and live in an apartment so it would be tricky to find a controlled environment.

I know this is the millionth post about rocks and chips, etc. Is there anything else I should consider at this point? I was trying to avoid insurance as I am still under the shadow of inflated premiums due to me totaling my last car a year ago. Resulting in me now having the mustang. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Maybe post pics so we can see how bad it is? If it's really bad, I wouldn't bother with Dr Color Chip or Ford Touch-Up and would just have the bumper repainted without going through insurance. Another option would be to look for a used bumper that's already painted your color.

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll try to get a picture after work. Unfortunately the car is quite dirty between salt and the dirt that sprayed on me from the truck. The main window chip I got from it is right in the center of my vision and about nickel sized. As far as paint chips, it will be hard for be to discern what is new since this is my daily driver and I already had plenty of little ones. When I got to work and looked I was looking for indication of paint chips that scratched through dirt indicating they were new and found at least 3 solid ones. Front end basically looks like I got blasted by a shotgun filled with rocksalt but some of it was from before.

Since it is my DD I am not sure if its worth it to get it repainted at this point I am mostly concerned with preventing further corrosion around the chips and trying to figure out what the easiest and least invasive way to do that is. I honestly don't even know how much a bumper spray would cost though. Also not sure I want to go through the process of replacing the whole bumper as its mostly fine except for the cosmetic damage.

Sorry just needed to vent to folks that would empathize since I know my girlfriend wont haha. Also holding out some empty hope that someone knows some miracle I don't.

This might be what convinces me to get the front end clear wrapped in PPF or something after I get this fixed. Been sorta wanting to do the hood in a flat/satin/matte black anyway.

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Side rant: Ford's "Triple Care" warranty sucks, (no need for any told ya so's, this was my first dealership experience). Don't anyone ever bother with it, I keep getting beat around the bush anytime I try to make a claim, whether its from a dealership or direct call to their customer service. Have had 4 instances (3 window chips and 1 tire puncture) that should be covered by it and have yet to be able to successfully make a claim resulting in a repair.

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
Side rant: Ford's "Triple Care" warranty sucks, (no need for any told ya so's, this was my first dealership experience). Don't anyone ever bother with it, I keep getting beat around the bush anytime I try to make a claim, whether its from a dealership or direct call to their customer service. Have had 4 instances (3 window chips and 1 tire puncture) that should be covered by it and have yet to be able to successfully make a claim resulting in a repair.
Sorry that you’re having issues. The opposite was the case for me. So far I’ve had two aftermarket wheels and a tire replaced under triplecare.

Sponsored

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Don't count out Dr. Color Chip. I had a front end and hood that looked like it took a shotgun blast with #9 shot. Their kit took care of it and it looked a million times better. Just follow their instructions. DON"T try to fill in each chip directly, put a blob of paint next to it, wipe it with your finger, then clean off the excess with their solution. Easier to do than to tell how to. Easy to use and color match was perfect, and that was on a 15 year old car! For hundreds of chip spots you can actually use a squeeze and it worked great for me. Watch their YouTubes.

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the tip [MENTION=31155]gamecoc430[/MENTION]. My biggest concern is that I don't know how permanent Dr Color Chip is compared to taking the time to do a real touch-up with OEM supplies.

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
No worries -- Dr Color Chip is permanent, as in real paint, not a marker. Mine lasted several years and was still as good as when I applied it several years earlier. I ordered some for my 2017 Mustang before I even had it. It's not cheap compared to Ford touch up paint, but is many times better IMO.
Sponsored