Sway Bar Size Compilation

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The GT, EcoB, and V6 front bars are all 32mm hollow, but the wall thickness is different. I haven't found specifications yet to compare wall thickness of these bars, so any comparison of their relative stiffness would only be speculation.
Incorrect. The GT non-PP, V6 and EB non-PP all have the same front bar. We don't have to speculate because part numbers are wonderful things. The GT PP and EB PP have the same front bar also.
Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=8339]AmericanLegend[/MENTION] did a great job getting data for GT350 and GT350R here. I'd recommend adding that to the list as well as a column for adjustments (zero, two, three, etc).

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Incorrect. The GT non-PP, V6 and EB non-PP all have the same front bar. We don't have to speculate because part numbers are wonderful things. The GT PP and EB PP have the same front bar also.
I wasn't incorrect, but I guess I wasn't specific enough. I did say all the front bars are 32mm and hollow. I was including the PP bars in that. I was trying to avoid confusing diameters with the GT350 bar which is 34mm, but maybe I should've said "excluding the GT350 they are all 32" instead of listing the base models. After re-reading what I said before I can see how it looks like each base model had a different bar, which I know isn't accurate.

In any case, the difference between the base and PP bars is the wall thickness.

Yes, part numbers are helpful but don't tell the whole story. If you look, most parts websites list the "W/PERFORMANCE PKG" part number in the V6 model's list of parts, but it was not available on the V6 from the factory.

FYI, there are 3 part numbers for the rear bar varying only by the last letter, -A -B and -C. The grouping is V6/base Eco is the -A, base GT is the -B, and the PP cars get the -C. Each bar has a corresponding bushing, so it could be assumed each bar is a different diameter, but since there isn't any technical data to go with the part numbers that is just an assumption because any variation at all, even something insignificant and not visible, will prompt a different part number.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't incorrect, but I guess I wasn't specific enough. I did say all the front bars are 32mm and hollow. I was including the PP bars in that. I was trying to avoid confusing diameters with the GT350 bar which is 34mm, but maybe I should've said "excluding the GT350 they are all 32" instead of listing the base models. After re-reading what I said before I can see how it looks like each base model had a different bar, which I know isn't accurate.

In any case, the difference between the base and PP bars is the wall thickness.

Yes, part numbers are helpful but don't tell the whole story. If you look, most parts websites list the "W/PERFORMANCE PKG" part number in the V6 model's list of parts, but it was not available on the V6 from the factory.

FYI, there are 3 part numbers for the rear bar varying only by the last letter, -A -B and -C. The grouping is V6/base Eco is the -A, base GT is the -B, and the PP cars get the -C. Each bar has a corresponding bushing, so it could be assumed each bar is a different diameter, but since there isn't any technical data to go with the part numbers that is just an assumption because any variation at all, even something insignificant and not visible, will prompt a different part number.
This isn't correct.

The difference between the base GT and PP GT front bars is the 'sticky' bushings and the much stronger/stiffer brackets that are part of the bar assembly rather than separate. This I know for 100% certainty.

When you order a PP front bar you do not need to get different bushings or brackets, and the price difference is reflective of that.

Sponsored

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
This isn't correct.

The difference between the base GT and PP GT front bars is the 'sticky' bushings and the much stronger/stiffer brackets that are part of the bar assembly rather than separate. This I know for 100% certainty.

When you order a PP front bar you do not need to get different bushings or brackets, and the price difference is reflective of that.
Sticky bushings? This is the 1st I've heard that term, but I've encountered the type of assembly you're talking about before, my 2011 base V6 front bar was like that and it made swapping to the NTO '09 GT bar I bought for it a real pain because the hole spacing in the brackets was different and I couldn't take the brackets off the V6 bar to use for mounting the GT bar.

So you're saying all the base cars front bars use ordinary bushings and brackets, but the PP bars use those "sticky" bushings which come preassembled on the bar? And that makes the bar act stiffer? I haven't heard that anywhere else, but I've no reason to doubt it. It makes me wonder though, if it's a beefier more rigid mounting system for the bar, why didn't Ford use it on the gt350 bar? Not being facetious, I'm genuinely curious about this :shrug:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Sticky bushings? This is the 1st I've heard that term, but I've encountered the type of assembly you're talking about before, my 2011 base V6 front bar was like that and it made swapping to the NTO '09 GT bar I bought for it a real pain because the hole spacing in the brackets was different and I couldn't take the brackets off the V6 bar to use for mounting the GT bar.

So you're saying all the base cars front bars use ordinary bushings and brackets, but the PP bars use those "sticky" bushings which come preassembled on the bar? And that makes the bar act stiffer? I haven't heard that anywhere else, but I've no reason to doubt it. It makes me wonder though, if it's a beefier more rigid mounting system for the bar, why didn't Ford use it on the gt350 bar? Not being facetious, I'm genuinely curious about this :shrug:
Yep you got it! As for why the GT350 bar doesn't have that, that's an excellent question to which I will ask. My thought is that ideally, you really don't want that kind of friction for a track car. That still doesn't explain the difference in brackets though.

In this picture you can see how the bracket wraps around rather than being a conventional U shape.
RAL_6601.jpg

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Argh, I just posted this question in another thread minutes ago. There are several threads all talking about overlapping subjects now. :frusty:

"Should I have ordered different brackets for the GT350 front bar? I reused my stock, non-PP, brackets. But now I wonder if the 2-piece brackets are stronger because they have to resist higher forces from the stiffer bar."

@AmericanLegend

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Steeda published the actual rate of their sway bars in comparison to the Eibach and others somewhere in this forum showing they were the highest rate. I cannot for the life of me find it.

Steeda also offers already a larger and stiffer front sway bar, should you prefer the driving dynamic that would result in (I'd think it'd induce a more understeer-oriented dynamic). Not listed above.

Bar set I have and have no intention of changing thanks to bracketed (not coined) ends and, IMHO, a perfect bar rate for my application:
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-front-and-rear-sway-bar-kit-2015-555-1017.html

Actually, I have this... but it wasn't for sale in a kit when I bought my stuff.
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-Mustang-Front-And-Rear-Sway-Bar-With-Endlinks-15-17-555-1014

The new 1 3/8" biggin' front sway bar:
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-front-sway-bar-2015-555-1015.html

Rear bar for drag racing:
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-drag-race-rear-sway-bar-2015-2016-gt-ecoboost-v6-555-1018.html

If I was not into tracking my car and was not as bothered by body roll as I am, I would just get the Strano bar to dial out understeer... that's it. But, my Steeda bars very obviously make the car "feel" much lighter than it is. Sway bars are great for dialing your suspension out, but don't lean on them (no pun intended) to make you a better driver and body roll is not necessarily a primary factor in handling performance.

This thread shows stock vs. Steeda bars nicely:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16329

Also worth noting is Steeda's standard sway bar brackets are wider and secure the bar better. Their add-on billet brackets are also wider than the competition and if you get these, the bar is secured even more which contributes to better bar rate. I don't have the fancy Steeda brackets and probably won't get them, but they're there if you want.

Either case, all the sway bars available (short of some junk from Alibaba.com) will be better than stock.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
The front bar was a "FR3C 32 MM".

Time to add a new category on the list.
Convertibles [MENTION=29565]CVCashmere[/MENTION] got my EB PP sways as listed above.
He has a GT vert.
He checked his rear bar and it is a 20 mm.
Pending front bar size.

Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
So how much stiffer is the PP GT front sway bar in comparison to the base GT? I know my base EB was plush. Felt more like an off-road truck than a sports car. It handled great on bumpy roads and had a very nice overall ride...if it was an off-road truck lol. My 2016 PP GT seems to have a lot less body roll than my base EB did, but not as good as the EB after installed FP front and rear sway bars + street X springs.

Already got the BMR SP081R lowering springs this time around + their CB005H cradle lockout kit + Maximum Motorsports MM6CC10 camber plates up front and see how it handles over all with just those three mods. It's strange, some times the PP suspension feels great other times it feels squirmy and wants to pull this way and that with the road. I'm wondering if the wider tires etc. are aggravating toe and cradle deflection in the rear, the biggest down fall of the first gen S550 chassis tuning. Seems like GM did a much better job on the new SS's in chassis tuning out of the box than Ford did, but then again Ford seems far more paranoid about NHV....which explains their excessive use of soft bushings everywhere.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
This isn't correct.

So how much stiffer is the PP GT front sway bar in comparison to the base GT? I know my base EB was plush. Felt more like an off-road truck than a sports car. It handled great on bumpy roads and had a very nice overall ride...if it was an off-road truck lol. My 2016 PP GT seems to have a lot less body roll than my base EB did, but not as good as the EB after installed FP front and rear sway bars + street X springs.

Already got the BMR SP081R lowering springs this time around + their CB005H cradle lockout kit + Maximum Motorsports MM6CC10 camber plates up front and see how it handles over all with just those three mods. It's strange, some times the PP suspension feels great other times it feels squirmy and wants to pull this way and that with the road. I'm wondering if the wider tires etc. are aggravating toe and cradle deflection in the rear, the biggest down fall of the first gen S550 chassis tuning. Seems like GM did a much better job on the new SS's in chassis tuning out of the box than Ford did, but then again Ford seems far more paranoid about NHV....which explains their excessive use of soft bushings everywhere.
The bars are the same, the PP uses better stiffer bushings. See BmacIL's post above. It's a pretty small difference. Keep in mind the PP also has stiffer springs/dampers.

I ended up going with the GT350 R bars and I am very happy with them.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Yeah, I know, old thread, but I found this via a search for sway bar info so I thought I'd add my experience for the next person who searches.
Ecoboost PP has 32mm front with sticky bushings and 21.7mm rear bar.
Front

Rear
My '19 EB, non-PP, came from the factory with the bonded 32mm front bar as well, a lower K brace and a ~22mm rear bar. I need to pick up a battery for my caliper to see if it's 21.7 or 22.2mm.
Edit; old school analog caliper says 55/64 or 21.82mm, must be 2 coats of paint on it.

Last edited:

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Front and rear from a 16 EB PP

35768539385_4238ffd4fc_z.jpg
20170604_140400 by chefjpd, on Flickr