Sponsored

Any Interest In a Compact Spare for Brembo Equipped Cars?

Would you be interested in a compact spare that clears front and rear Brembo's?

• Total voters

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
I didn't know any drag strip junkies were considering this. ;)
ooh maybe i can run a pair of these on the front without needing spacers the next time i go drag racing?

i was just curious about the weight compared to the oem one that comes with the non-brembo mustangs.
Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
ooh maybe i can run a pair of these on the front without needing spacers the next time i go drag racing?

i was just curious about the weight compared to the oem one that comes with the non-brembo mustangs.
I'll try to remember to throw my wheel on a scale when it comes in.

The 18x5 Race Stars are designed to clear PP Brembos: https://lmr.com/item/RSI-92850145DSD/mustang-race-star-dark-star-wheel-18x5-05-17.

I was thinking of purchasing one to use as a spare wheel, but couldn't find any info as to whether it would fit on the back.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Our shipping scale at work said 35.2 pounds for the spare.

The jack and handle/wrench it came with weigh 5.9 pounds on top of that. Appear to be genuine OEM Ford parts.

I did NOT get the wingnut that keeps the jack and handle secure. I was expecting that as part of the "kit"... Anybody know how to track one of those down? The one that comes with the "mobility kit" inflator is too long and bottoms out before it can secure the jack and handle.

The tire it came with is a Continental temporary spare in T155/70R19. I think this is a good middle-of-the-road size for these cars and it fits snugly in the wheel well. It's nominally 2.5% larger than my 285/35R19 tires, and 0.3% off from the nominal factory 275/40R19 rears. Neither is a concern for a Torsen diff per the folks at Torsen.

I measured the hub bore and bolt pattern and they appear to be the correct 70.3mm and 5x114.3, so shouldn't be any issues there. Hopefully when it's warmer, I can actually get it test mounted on the car.

I was a bit disappointed with the packaging. The jack and handle were stuffed in a USPS box which was basically rattling around loose inside the hub of the wheel, and it scratched the inside of the wheel up pretty good as well as knocked the sticky wheel weights off. I could tell where the wheel weights were by the residue and just stuck them back on. Also there was just a piece of cardboard protecting the rim on each side and some plastic straps, and UPS (i'm assuming) managed to put a pretty deep gouge on the back of the rim. I get that it's a spare tire, but when you're spending $500 you expect some quality packaging.

Looking at the markings on the rim, the manufacturer of the rim is listed as Pony Parts Australia and googling that led me here.

Pics!

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
This is what I'm talking about with the wingnut that comes with the Ford factory 18" kit.

It's a two piece deal, the middle part keeps the wrench and jack secure so they're not flopping around scratching the shit out of your spare tire well and wheel and making a racket.

I get that you could use the one off the mobility kit and run it through the hub of the tire, but it won't secure the jack or the wrench properly.
mustang-spare.jpg

Pedal2Metal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2010 Shelby GT500, 2019 Explorer
This is what I did to make it work for my car...went to the local hardware store and purchased
a M6-1.0 (metric) threaded rod, a M6-1.0 wing nut and a 1/2" insulated metal cable clamp.
Placed the cable clamp around the threaded rod of jack with the flat side of the clamp facing up:
ran the M6-1.0 threaded rod through the clamp and into the bracket in the wheel well. Screwed
the wing nut down to tighten the clamp. Placed the tire in the well, screwed on the factory hold
down flange and marked with tape where to cut rod. Rather than try to cut rod in place, removed
it, made the cut and re-assembled it. The cable clamp holds the jack securely to the trunk floor and
does not have to be removed from jack when it is used. As for the lug wrench, I put it in the plastic
box that holds my car cleaning stuff. Hope this helps.

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
I already received the tire and waiting for the jack and lug wrench, I borrowed a Ford jack and wrench from a buddy with the stock spare tire kit and test fit with my new spare.

With the jack and wrench in place, the Automotive Authority Spare did not sit flush to the bottom of the spare tire well and the spare tire trunk cover didn't fit flush either....I had to remove the lug wrench from the jack and just lay the thinner part of the wrench between the bottom of the spare and the jack so they were a snug fit, with the tie sitting flat in the well, also used the Ford spare tire kit retainers to hold the spare in place.

Now I wondering with the AA jack and lug wrench will this be the same ??
013AA Spare Tire.jpg

Last edited:

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
This is what I'm talking about with the wingnut that comes with the Ford factory 18" kit.

It's a two piece deal, the middle part keeps the wrench and jack secure so they're not flopping around scratching the shit out of your spare tire well and wheel and making a racket.

I get that you could use the one off the mobility kit and run it through the hub of the tire, but it won't secure the jack or the wrench properly.
Do you have a picture of what came with the complete kit minus the tire and rim? I have part numbers for the jack, lug wrench, lug wrench retainer and spare retainer, but want to compare with what you received before I post them.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Do you have a picture of what came with the complete kit minus the tire and rim? I have part numbers for the jack, lug wrench, lug wrench retainer and spare retainer, but want to compare with what you received before I post them.
I'll try to remember to get it tonight.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I'll try to remember to get it tonight.
Thanks, that would be great as I am ready to order this kit and want to make sure I do not buy the wrong part or end up with two of something.

drorr86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
All outstanding orders have been fulfilled as of this morning. Those who have been waiting on the hardware portion of their orders have had those sent out as well. Thank you all for your business and support while we product this Spare to market. Those who have the GT350 models, we now have a solution for your cars and can make this work on your vehicles as well.

drorr86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
With the jack and wrench in place, the Automotive Authority Spare did not sit flush to the bottom of the spare tire well and the spare tire trunk cover didn't fit flush either....I had to remove the lug wrench from the jack and just lay the thinner part of the wrench between the bottom of the spare and the jack so they were a snug fit, with the tie sitting flat in the well, also used the Ford spare tire kit retainers to hold the spare in place.
The spare will not sit flush in the trunk wheel well if you try to stack and store the jack and lug wrench how Ford designed them to be used with the small donut size spare on the standard Mustangs. The 2 parts must be separated. I recommend placing the jack base towards the rear of the car, position it as you typically would to retain it under the tire, then align the base of the jack between the spokes of the wheel. The lug wrench can be placed on the outer edge of the wheel well on either to top or bottom of the spare. To retain the spare you can use the factory retaining bolt from your foam block that was in place of the spare. The retainer will be just long enough to be used. I have had some customers opt to not even use the retaining bolt because the spare itself is a snug fit in the wheel well and it will not be going anywhere or rattling around.

drorr86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I was a bit disappointed with the packaging. The jack and handle were stuffed in a USPS box which was basically rattling around loose inside the hub of the wheel, and it scratched the inside of the wheel up pretty good as well as knocked the sticky wheel weights off. I could tell where the wheel weights were by the residue and just stuck them back on. Also there was just a piece of cardboard protecting the rim on each side and some plastic straps, and UPS (i'm assuming) managed to put a pretty deep gouge on the back of the rim. I get that it's a spare tire, but when you're spending $500 you expect some quality packaging.
I am sorry to hear that your package was damaged during shipping. UPS can be very hard on packages sometimes. We ship out all of the spares fully insured at our own expense for cases just like this. On the outside of the packaging there is stickers that say "Do Not Accept if Damaged". if the package appears to be damaged I would suggest inspecting the item before accepting it and reporting the damage to the delivery man or just flat out refusing the package. This is important because once you take delivery of it, UPS is passing off the responsibility and liability of covering the damage.

drorr86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks, that would be great as I am ready to order this kit and want to make sure I do not buy the wrong part or end up with two of something.
Below are the Ford OEM part numbers for the hardware
HR3Z-17080-A - Jack
FR3Z-17032-A – Wrench
ES7Z-17091-A - Retaining bolt
Sponsored