Sponsored

Finally Got to See One In Person (Exterior Feedback)

saxman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
There have been a few 18's making their way here the last few weeks. I believe a red GT PP, lightning blue GT PP both around 40k or just under, and a black Ecoboost (don't remember the price). None were premium if I recall correctly.

My impressions:

1) Lightning blue looks great on the Mustang. I've seen Grabber blue before and both are very nice coolers on the Mustang. My first car I bought myself was a Neon SRT-4. I wanted the electric blue. Ended up with orange. Fast forward a few years and I got a Caliber SRT4. Guess what color I wanted. Blue. Guess what color I ended up with... Orange. Needless to say, I've said my next car will absolutely be blue. It's nice the Mustang has some nice blues. I thought the deep Kona would be my favorite (have yet to see) but lightning might be the best overall blue on the Mustang. What's scary, though, is I really like the new orange color on the Mustang... No, no, no.... Must resist.

2) I like the updated taillights. It makes the rear seem more streamlined and cohesive. I also like the more aggressive look of the quad tipped exhaust.

3) Even though the profile of the '18 might be a little longer from the hood forward, I think the drastic tapering downward makes it seem a little shorter which I like. The little to no drop of the hood on the '17 makes it seem like a neverending hoodline (almost seems to elevate slightly at the front of the car instead of tapering downward like the' 18. Bottom line, the profile of the '18 is much better in my opinion.

4) From straight on, the '18 looks more aggressive than the '17 to me. Especially, the aggressive headlights. I was wondering how I'd like the headlights' downturn vs the upturn on the '17 on the profile. I think it fits with everything else going on up front... Well... Almost everything else.

5) That leads me to what bugs me about the controversial front end. As I drove by at several different angles and walked all around the car several times, I finally figured out what the biggest issue with the front end is. It's not really from straight on as it looks very aggressive. And it's not the profile view which also looks aggressive to me. It's when I looked on from the 3/4 view up front that I saw it. The grills aren't the problem. The triangles aren't the problem. It's the extreme hood drop over too short of a distance. It makes it look like a person with a bubbly or bulging forhead. All the other facial features look fine but the lack of a smooth transition from the back of the hood to the front of the hood causes a really odd illusion. It makes the front look really squished vertically. It almost seems to squish everything together to a point even though grills are actually widened out. That sudden drop of the hood at the front works great for the profile. It just doesn't work so well on the 3/4 view. And although I said from straight on the front is quite aggressive, if you focus on the hood drop too much, you lose some of that aggressiveness and the weird begins.

My last point isn't to take away from an otherwise great looking car. It's just one detail that I
couldn't stop thinking about. Does anyone else feel it's the aggressive hood drop the last little bit of the hood that creates something "off" visually?

I can't wait to drive one. I'm back and forth between a fairly loaded '18, a low mile used GT350, or a Camaro 2SS (possibly 1LE). I have driven a non PP 15 Mustang and did not like the floaty, long hood feel. I absolutely loved the road feel and low end torque of the Camaro but did not like the fake backseat. I'd like to be able to throw my kids in the backseat for a weekend drive and while the mustang is not great, the Camaro may as well be a Corvette from a practicality standpoint. Yes, it's a Camaro. Yes, it's a Mustang. I get they aren't family sedans, but come on... At least give a slot for the legs to fit for younger kids. Shouldn't be that hard. I could make it work in the Camaro, but the kid sitting behind me would force the driver's seat so far forward it would be uncomfortable and borderline unsafe.
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I appreciate your honest feelings about the refresh. Yes it’s not a redesign from the bottom up so you are limited as a designer by the previous design. Nevertheless, good design looks good from every angle and the prerefresh does that mostly because it was a ground up redesign. Also some elements were changed for pedestrian safety and not design. Now that the cars are moving into dealer lots my big gripe is those cheap, crappy 17” wheels now on the Ecoboost. They were and still on my car and I thought I would end up with something unique at least. Now every second Ecoboost has them. Without the rarity factor these wheels are just fugly.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
One thing i agree with is your thought on the neverending hood of the 15-17's. When I park it in the garage it seems like its lifted in the front. Of course it isnt an issue on the road but it is something i noticed aswell.
I would get a loaded 18 out of the 3 choices unless you love the gt350 soundtrack :)

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
Is there any point in providing a useless opinion on something that is considered purely subjective

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I had pretty much the same impression of the 18 GT when I saw it at IAA in Frankfurt. The frontend with the triangles, wider grille and new headlights look good. It really gives the car a more aggressive appearance.

But the Long and flat Hood ruins it a bit for me. It just needs the powerdomes or other elements to make the hood appear more upright. With the drop on the front it just has more of an Audi sedan look. I loved the look from the driverseat on the long 15 hood and powerdomes. I doubt the view on the hood is that cool in the 18

But overall the 18 is a good looking car. Especially the new rear end with quad tips looks amazing.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Yeah, 15-17 owners basically have an entire thread dedicated to their useless opinions.
2018 owners have a safe spot to cry in when their feelings get hurt by an opinion.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
If Ford had ignored the complaints from 15-17 owners about terrible hood shake at speed that would be negligence. The new hood appears to eliminate this (as tested by Hot Rod at 130 mph). The new design is for function not style and, living somewhere with no speed limits, I appreciate this.

As the OP is in California perhaps this speed thing does not matter if you can only travel at 65mph.
Right because we all go 130 mph every day. :frusty:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
If Ford had ignored the complaints from 15-17 owners about terrible hood shake at speed that would be negligence. The new hood appears to eliminate this (as tested by Hot Rod at 130 mph). The new design is for function not style and, living somewhere with no speed limits, I appreciate this.

As the OP is in California perhaps this speed thing does not matter if you can only travel at 65mph.
Lets face it Ford ignored the hood shake at 130 mph because 99 percent of Mustang owners don't drive that fast. I've driven my 15 Mustang at 110 mph a bunch of times and never saw the hood shake once.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Lets face it Ford ignored the hood shake at 130 mph because 99 percent of Mustang owners don't drive that fast. I've driven my 15 Mustang at 110 mph a bunch of times and never saw the hood shake once.
Same. I've gone a high speed one time just to see how stable the car is. Never experienced it.

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
The three stages of midcycle refresh (true for almost every car):
1. "That's awful they runined the car! I'm done with this brand!"
2. "Saw one in person. It's okay, growing on me a little."
3. "Just traded in my car for the new refresh! I love the styling!"

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
2018 owners have a safe spot to cry in when their feelings get hurt by an opinion.
Actually, there is no 18+ butt-hurt thread because we don't have anything to be butt-hurt about. Not until the next gen, at least. Our time for the confirmation bias will come. ;)

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The three stages of midcycle refresh (true for almost every car):
1. "That's awful they runined the car! I'm done with this brand!"
2. "Saw one in person. It's okay, growing on me a little."
3. "Just traded in my car for the new refresh! I love the styling!"

So true I see it all the time

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
I like the 67 more then the 68
I like the 69 more then the 70
I like the 4 eye foxes more then the aero

I like the 13/14 more then the 11/12
I like the new edge more then the 94 to 98s

Sometimes I like the first generation better.. sometimes the second

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I saw an '18 for the first time yesterday. It was a black Eco convertible but it was far away which made making my first in-person judgement of the new styling virtually impossible.
Sponsored