Sponsored

2018 GT failure, engine getting opened up..

entaiiie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' GT
Well, this is fun. I sort of expected some gremlins for having one of the early production cars, but wasn't expecting to have the engine opened up, not sure how I feel about that.

I've had the car for a few months and around 2000ish miles now. On Monday afternoon, I had the car idling and parked during a lunch break, I went outside to snap some photos, and the car very abruptly shut off. It would not fire back up, wouldn't even try to crank or anything. I tried various basic troubleshooting but ultimately had to have it towed to the dealership.

I was expecting this to be something simple - faulty battery or alternator or a wiring short. I haven't received more detail yet, but they did mention that they called Ford for backup/information, and they're going to have to open up the engine to further diagnose.

Been down a week and we still don't have a root cause yet. Not very happy. Would rather have a factory sealed engine that wasn't opened up :(. couple of photos before the thing terminated itself -

29nt0r9.jpg

1z1fort.jpg
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Meh.....such things happen. That's why you have a warranty.

I would be frustrated too, mostly because I would want to be driving my brand new car.

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
If you want to feel better, at least you and the dealer both know something is actually wrong with the car and they will do something about it.

It took my dealership 3-4 days before acknowledging that there is even an issue with my 2018. And I've been back and forth with them for days now.

keith58

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 RR Convenience
Beautiful color!

Well, this is fun. I sort of expected some gremlins for having one of the early production cars, but wasn't expecting to have the engine opened up, not sure how I feel about that.

I've had the car for a few months and around 2000ish miles now. On Monday afternoon, I had the car idling and parked during a lunch break, I went outside to snap some photos, and the car very abruptly shut off. It would not fire back up, wouldn't even try to crank or anything. I tried various basic troubleshooting but ultimately had to have it towed to the dealership.

I was expecting this to be something simple - faulty battery or alternator or a wiring short. I haven't received more detail yet, but they did mention that they called Ford for backup/information, and they're going to have to open up the engine to further diagnose.

Been down a week and we still don't have a root cause yet. Not very happy. Would rather have a factory sealed engine that wasn't opened up :(. couple of photos before the thing terminated itself -

29nt0r9.jpg

1z1fort.jpg

HaleFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm here to overreact ... looks like every 2018 GT is a ticking time bomb, confirmed.

Just kidding. Not being able to drive it must be brutal. Keep us posted, I hope everything turns out OK.

Sponsored

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
I'm here to overreact ... looks like every 2018 GT is a ticking time bomb, confirmed.

Just kidding. Not being able to drive it must be brutal. Keep us posted, I hope everything turns out OK.
Well to be fair, this mid cycle refresh has decent number of new changes to it from the 2017's so I would expect there to be a more issues.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Odd.

Well, hope for a dropped valve or something that gets you a new engine from off the line.

lol

Armen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Vert
I have heard through a source that there has been an issue with valve retainers. The issue I heard about was with a 2018 F150 5.0L.

I also heard that the issue was deemed to be a manufacturer one (in Chna) and has since been corrected.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Now that I've seen a pic of Crimson in real light...my my my. Hello there.

Your warranty is covering you. Don't sweat it. Hey, you never know, maybe you'll get a new crate. Being patient sucks but it'll feel great once you're back on the road.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Damn.... I guess us 18 owners will have to expect this type of crap to happen.

On another note I've had my car shut off on me too except mine was different. Was making a right turn and then all of a sudden the engine just died and I looked at the dash and it said "Run Power Activated" or something like that. I pressed the button and it started again like normal. Very weird. If happened twice but haven't had time to bring it to the dealership.

I guess it's just a matter of time before mine does exactly what yours did.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Sorry to hear that. Only odd thing mine does is rev a touch if I press the clutch quickly in neutral with the car parked.

Snagged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra, '17 Corrolla
I loveeeeee that new color. It's Mystic like. Looks great at least. Hopefully it's something small and easy to fix. I wish you good luck with this. I
Sponsored

Last edited: