Resonator and muffler delete on V8

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT vert & 2018 Fury GT Vert & 2020 grabber Lime GT Vert
Hey guys, I have a V8 GT and was thinking about removing my resonator or muffler and wanted to know the difference in sound. I was more incline in removing the resonator because it's big and heavy. What are your thoughts? Cheers in advance guys. Ps. Car is a convertible...
Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
A couple of comparison videos:

[ame]

If you do both, you will wake the dead.

[ame]

Personally, I would go for a CB set up rather than mess around with the stock (you may need to replace it some day).

FMGTV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
use to own - "2017 Mustang GT V8 Ruby Red Manual"
Hey guys, I have a V8 GT and was thinking about removing my resonator or muffler and wanted to know the difference in sound. I was more incline in removing the resonator because it's big and heavy. What are your thoughts? Cheers in advance guys. Ps. Car is a convertible...
All I have done is remove the resonator and install the "Ford Racing X Pipe."
The car now has a great tone and V8 sound with the lowest cost. :D:D:D

OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
All sound so good so far.

Aj05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Manual
If you’re just wanting a better sound, I’ve got the axle back Roush and that gives a nice deep sound, no drone and I can easily re fit the standard mufflers if needed. $$$ weren’t too bad and the Roush tips look good.
50399CA1-AD2D-44F7-A6B8-7D487376E304.jpeg

Sponsored

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Youtube vids don't give you a true indication of volume. I think you, and especially your neighbours, would hate it if you removed the resonator and mufflers. The police on the other hand would love it.

If you want a better note look at axle back or cat back systems.

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
If you’re just wanting a better sound, I’ve got the axle back Roush and that gives a nice deep sound, no drone and I can easily re fit the standard mufflers if needed. $$$ weren’t too bad and the Roush tips look good.
I second that $875 delivery. Bang for buck is unbelievable, sounds wicked :cheers::headbang::thumbsup:

IMG_20180317_175525.jpg

OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I like that look of that axle back system...

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
I like that look of that axle back system...
Seriously mate you can't go wrong with it. Sounds fn beautiful old school sound with no raspiness and relatively cheap and easy to install your self :thumbsup:

ICON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic 6MT GT Fastback
I've kept the standard mufflers on mine and replaced the resonator with a custom H pipe - gives it a nice old school burble which is slightly louder if you give it but not drastically louder (from what I can recall when I first did it).

I'm now also running a K&N intake as well, so it kinda screams it's head off when you give it, but the resonator delete with just either a H or X pipe won't be overly loud.

I've also contemplated a muffler delete (with a Pype bomb set up) but haven't gotten around to it yet, but yeah, it would be LOUD - depends what you're after.

Sponsored

Aj05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Manual
The other thing I’ll add is when it is first fitted, it is nuts! So fn loud, I thought I had done the wrong thing as I don’t want to be pulled over for too much noise, seriously it was loud!

But once it is warm and you’ve done about 1,000 km with it, it settles down to a kind of legal loud...

But when I start it cold for friends or onlookers, it gives you a big nasty bellow that makes me happy!

Give it the loud pedal in a country area where it is zero to 100km and you will love it!

snakebite recommended it to me and I’m so happy he did!

The only thing I would reiterate that this is more a cosmetic/noise thing rather than a performance thing.

I’ve cruised with a few guys that have Mustangs full headers, tune, superchargers etc and they will always be heavier in noise at idle, and nuts underload! Tn if you are out there!

But mine sounds great, is noisy at idle, barks and spits with manual up and down changes, and it clearly not standard.

If you youtube roush exhausts you will be able to hear it.

:cheers:

African PH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Franco
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Race Red GT
Yep, I just removed the resonator and installed an X-pipe. Lovely sound when on the gas and NO drone. Cheap

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Be careful as I'm told what fits a coupe may not necessarily fit your Vert. Due to additional brackets or reinforcing underneath.

OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Be careful as I'm told what fits a coupe may not necessarily fit your Vert. Due to additional brackets or reinforcing underneath.
Yeah that's true... it makes it so hard to find a system to fit the vert.

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
GT 6MT, Falcon FGX XR6 Ute & Focus ST
I was toying with the idea of doing the FPR X Pipe, then I managed to pick up a could not resist deal on a FPR by Borla "Sport" cat back system. I watched all the videos did my research so went for it. It arrived and we put the car up on my hoist and removed the stock system, I was amazed at how heavy it was, its heavy. We installed the FPR by Borla system and had a real issue getting it all lined up at the rear valance openings. the problem is there are 4 slip joints, the two at the rear mufflers were fine but at the outlet of the X Pipe the exhaust clamp pressure was not strong enough to hold the weight of the muffler section, and kept wanting to twist at the joint. the exhaust hangers allow some movement and we just could not get the system to sit perfectly. so we got the system lined up using big cable ties to hold the mufflers exactly where they needed to be and ended up getting the TIG welding set out and putting neat weld tacks at all 4 slip joints, then tightend up the clamps. However, system sits spot on now, but the clamps still don't have enough oomph to seal the joints, so I have ordered in some serious duty stainless steel U clamps to replace the band type clamps supplied as standard.

next thing I will do is get my cutting gear out and open up the stock resonator and mufflers to have a look inside, (get some pics) then take it all to the scrap man. the stock system looks pretty average when you have a really good look at it off the car.

the system sounds absolutely unreal now, its loud. cold start is immense. all the videos and things I have seen pre purchase understate how much the system transforms the sound of the car inside and out.
Sponsored