Transbrake Fix for S550s

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
After seeing the wreck at NMRA and hearing of others, this seems important to share. This was posted by Lund Racing here.

Those of you aware of recent events with an accident with a 2015 mustang crashing at NMRA know that the 2015+ Mustang 6R80 has an issue when launching with the transbrake.

It's difficult to understand the issue without having some tuning knowledge. Basically what we have discovered (on our personal vehicle and another customer vehicle) a few months ago was that when going 100% pedal on a 2-step and coming off the pedal with the transbrake applied it'll show a Torque Source 14 on the log; and the throttle will hang open or essentially run-away. If you release the transbrake button while under 100% pedal or if you release and lift slightly under 100% pedal due to anticipating tire spin, it'll "runaway" and zing to the limiter. You won't have control over it.

Torque Source 14 is labeled as Cruise Control Torque Control (uses the electronic throttle to target a vehicle speed). Well, Cruise control is obviously not activated on the dash. There's no physical sign it is on. There is an issue going on in the background causing this. We don't understand why fully, but we believe it may have something to do with a different cruise control logic on the 2015+ vs 14 and older. Obviously Ford never intended for the event of a transbrake to happen OEM, so going full throttle and no vehicle speed may be triggering a possible bug in the logic somewhere. We tried diving into that portion of it by making calibration changes without any luck, but we discovered a mechanical work around. We have tested it and it works.

If you apply the brake pedal while doing the above test, torque source 14 does not show up and the hang does not exist. That makes sense because the Cruise Control is deactivated when the brake pedal is pressed. So we dove into the wiring diagram and found the Cruise Control deactivation wire. When you clip it or tie a toggle switch to it you can kill the Cruise Control without having to press the brake pedal. It does require some codes to be disabled to kill a wrench light when the wire is cut or toggle is flipped. The graphic below provides that information.

In honor of Dasan's memory we decided to call this the "DeeSpeed Mod". Save yourself from transbrake issues.

Source
Sponsored

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I read that, I think I'm just going to cut that wire under the hood and use a 1 Pin Weather Pack connector for when I goto the racetrack...

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
WTF. Dasan died? WTF.

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Was he involved in the accident or non related? Trying to figure all this out..

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
No .Very sad cause of death though .
RIP.

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Unrelated. I was just catching up with him on Tuesday...I've had meals with this dude. So very sad. Gonna miss him.

Link

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Unrelated. I was just catching up with him on Tuesday...I've had meals with this dude. So very sad. Gonna miss him.

Link
Although it's very sad to read, thank you for posting the details of what happened.

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Tragic.. had no idea

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
RIP Dasan......

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
R.I.P.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
In the meantime, continue driving your 7 second car KNOWING it is unsafe, then cry on Facebook when you find out that someone knew a fix and didn't tell you. Tip: don't drive a 180mph trap car with a known sticking throttle.
Sponsored