SPRING RATES & DROPS: ALL IN ONE THREAD!!

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Please update the BMR SP083 Handling Spring Info:

Front: 250lb/in - 7/8" Drop
Rear: 980lb/in - 3/4" Drop

BradleyMac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Lincoln MKC & 2010 F150

Kelly, did you do an update to these handling springs? Looks like you flattened the overall stance a little, with a little less drop in the front and a little more in the back relative to these same springs last year? Is that correct? Hmm, I liked the idea of the original with more of a muscular 1.2" drop front and a slight .5" drop in the back. It was this muscular stance that attracted me to the BMR springs. What was the rationale for the more flattened stance?

As a side note, I screwed up last year when I ordered the front/back Handling version of these springs when I should have ordered the Performance version for a slightly softer ride. I'm in Canada, so the shipping and exchange is stupid to return them so I'll have to see if I can find someone up here who wants to buy my Handling Springs ... I never did install them once I found out they were the stiffer springs so there're new still in the box.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

On it for my spreadsheet!

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
The reasoning was a few things. Most importantly, I will explain below.

We wanted to stick to 1.2"ish and maybe go 1" out back.

Well, when you have a TRUE linear wound and working spring...you simply cannot go that high with rate, and that much drop. To do so, you have to make a spring that is much shorter than the required free height to install.

So what I came up with was, as close to 1" as possible with essentially the stiffest linear rate possible. Enter the 250lb/in. To go stiffer, the spring has to be shorter...and that cannot happen or it will not mount properly (it will be loose when mounted) and to go taller than the 7/8" drop I could go stiffer....but I did not want less than 7/8"

Due to the reason above, the rears needed to come down just a touch to get the wheel gaps right, while still not "slamming" the car which throws the geometry off more than what we want our customers set up with.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Why is that the gt350 and R rear springs are the same rate but different part number?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Why is that the gt350 and R rear springs are the same rate but different part number?
Different drop, different rate in actuality, albeit close.

Martinnfb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP,
Kelly, did you do an update to these handling springs? Looks like you flattened the overall stance a little, with a little less drop in the front and a little more in the back relative to these same springs last year? Is that correct? Hmm, I liked the idea of the original with more of a muscular 1.2" drop front and a slight .5" drop in the back. It was this muscular stance that attracted me to the BMR springs. What was the rationale for the more flattened stance?

As a side note, I screwed up last year when I ordered the front/back Handling version of these springs when I should have ordered the Performance version for a slightly softer ride. I'm in Canada, so the shipping and exchange is stupid to return them so I'll have to see if I can find someone up here who wants to buy my Handling Springs ... I never did install them once I found out they were the stiffer springs so there're new still in the box.
I might be interested, let me find out how they would work together with the PP suspension.
Cheers
Martin

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
Ground Control Coilover Conversion kits

I've been modifying cars for a long time. I've noticed it's hard to find the right coilover with the correct spring rates. Unless you go really expensive you'll find something that works. If you go with trying to find the right strut/shock and springs, the stance might not be correct. I found this solution years ago. I now go to them when I need to lower my car. I usually go with Bilstein HD struts/shocks. I don't need anything crazy, just something that's better than stock for the HPDE days and the stance/comfort for DD. What's nice is you can select spring rates you want too. Have any of you installed these kits on your S550?

https://groundcontrolstore.com/coll...djustable-ride-height-kit?variant=35982436355

Thanks,

wbrownie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I've been modifying cars for a long time. I've noticed it's hard to find the right coilover with the correct spring rates. Unless you go really expensive you'll find something that works. If you go with trying to find the right strut/shock and springs, the stance might not be correct. I found this solution years ago. I now go to them when I need to lower my car. I usually go with Bilstein HD struts/shocks. I don't need anything crazy, just something that's better than stock for the HPDE days and the stance/comfort for DD. What's nice is you can select spring rates you want too. Have any of you installed these kits on your S550?

https://groundcontrolstore.com/coll...djustable-ride-height-kit?variant=35982436355

Thanks,
I’ll be installing this kit this weekend. Current running Steeda Ultralight Linear and the drop is just too low. Especially in the rear.

Spring rate I chose were 450/950 based on discussions with GC. I’m worried its too stiff in front but the swap is easy so I’ll try it. Another on this forum used these rates and liked them. I’m using Ford Racing track pack struts/shocks.

BTW I used the full GC coillover kit with Konis shocks/struts on my S197 and loved it.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear about the HD Bilsteins as I dropped onto SVE progressive's and the OEM shocks & struts. It's "ok" for now but in the near future I will order the HD's.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I like the idea of the imbedded chart in post 1, but would also like to see the following:

WHO makes the springs and supplies them to the Vendors.... most vendors don’t have the manufacturing capability to create springs on premise, therefore rely on major Spring Manufacturers to supply them with a spring based on their design specs.

The Ford Racing springs used to be supplied by Eibach... not sure if that still holds true today, but if so, that’s what I’m seeking...

Such as:
Vendor: X
Spring made or supplied by: X

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I like the idea of the imbedded chart in post 1, but would also like to see the following:

WHO makes the springs and supplies them to the Vendors.... most vendors don’t have the manufacturing capability to create springs on premise, therefore rely on major Spring Manufacturers to supply them with a spring based on their design specs.

The Ford Racing springs used to be supplied by Eibach... not sure if that still holds true today, but if so, that’s what I’m seeking...

Such as:
Vendor: X
Spring made or supplied by: X
I doubt most of the vendors would provide that. They're under no obligation to and I'm not sure I would either.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 marks the 150th year our supplier has been in in the spring manufacturing business.

America! :headbang: